VPN for Dummies

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

VPN for Dummies

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 18, 2020, 9:55 am

Had a gut full of TrueVisions and decided to head in a new direction.

Dummies = that's me :confused: :-
I have heard a little about it but never bothered up to now. I have a smart TV, subscribed to Netflix but I was hoping for more Australian content. ABC Australia recommends ExpressVPN as the best - about AUD$8.30/month for 12 months. I have read it is not a good idea to go for freeby's?

Can I use the one subscription on all my devices, phone, notebook and TV?
How is it installed into these devices?
With a VPN can I tell Netflix I'm actually located in Australia? That was not an option in the set up so I selected USA but seem to get truck loads of Asian content.
Can I change servers at any time eg. from Australia to USA to the UK etc.?
Or do I really need to do that?

Sure to be more questions later!

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: VPN for Dummies

Post by Whistler » November 18, 2020, 10:11 am

most of the VPN's are much of a muchness, so I would go on price. Nord and Tunnelbear are both good, both allow you to have a single subscription for multiple devices, I have used both, now use Tunnelbear.

Downside, the TV companies are getting smarter about identifying proxies and you will find some things are blocked, from memory ABC podcasts are one example.

If you have an android device, I would recommend Livenet TV 4.7. Scroll along the list of services on the top of the screen until you are showing Australia, then a hell of a lot Australian TV stations are displayed. You can Chromecast this to your TV. Ads are annoying, but shut them off or backarrow and they disappear,

If you need any help, you have my email.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 18, 2020, 10:27 am

I gave up on the free ones as none could reliably work with BBC's iPlayer. A friend recommended ExpressVPN so I took their generous 30-day trial (give card info but make sure you cancel on the 29th day if you don't like it). It was great for iPlayer for about two weeks and despite their great tech support and efforts for a work around, it didn't work for the last couple of weeks. I canceled and took out a 7-day trial of PureVPN, again on a friend's recommendation. Although the GUI isn't as good as ExpressVPN's, it did the business so I stuck with it. I got an awesome deal on the 7th day of the no credit card info trial and got a 1-year sub for 23 bucks, about 85% discount.

I note that PureVPN has preconfigured VPN's for BBC, ITV, many Australian channels as well as a suite of Netflix connections for different countries. Click on any of them and it launches a dedicated browser with the appropriate VPN enabled. One click connection basically.

Both ExpressVPN and PureVPN allow multiple connections on the single account; I think the cap may be five? They also both have apps for android and apple smartphones and add-ons for browsers if you want to do it that way.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » November 18, 2020, 10:53 am

Try Browsec VPN about $4.5 a month.... used it for years and ok for BBC iplayer.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 18, 2020, 11:03 am

I'm using surfshark. Are various offers around. I paid for 12 months upfront for approx $60.

You can download it directly onto smart tv's, android boxes, etc. Easy to change location to watch different regions of Netflix.

No issues for 6 months I've had it. My biggest problem with free VPNs was they would just stop working after a few weeks or months.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » November 18, 2020, 11:14 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
November 18, 2020, 10:53 am
Try Browsec VPN about $4.5 a month.... used it for years and ok for BBC iplayer.
I’ve got Browsec too but have to confess to being a little confused with its workings.
Downloaded it about 6 months ago specifically to access some UK sites (BBC, BT & Sky in particular) which were stopping the Thai IP address. Used it for its trial then cancelled the subscription as I’d finished with it for the time being.
Roll forward 4 months & I needed it again so redownloaded with the intention of trying to blag another trial or pay the subscription but it let me access the UK VPN free of charge. 2 months now with no problems.
Admittedly, if the app is open I keep getting a pop up asking me to upgrade but close the app & they disappear
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 18, 2020, 12:04 pm

I have been using VPN.ac for a few years, and am very happy with it.

Features I like include:

- located in Romania, so no 5 Eyes ramifications
- no logs kept of traffic
- has a SecureProxy add-on for Firefox and Chrome browsers
- servers in 21 countries, including Oz
- no noticeable drop in download speeds
- compatible with Windows and Android (including Android TV)
- easy swapped between servers in different countries
- automatic renewal, with prior email notice

Cost is US$43.50 annually, by using the TRIALOFF promotion code.

https://vpn.ac/cart.php?a=checkout

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 18, 2020, 2:59 pm

Thanks guys for your input.
I bit the bullet and went for ExpressVPN knowing I can dump it if all goes tits up, gives me a platform to experiment on.
It's up and running on 3 devices, was quite easy despite my "fat fingers". Had them connected to a server in Sydney but see it's very easy to change locations and shut it down if I want to come out of hiding.
No noticeable speed difference using Speedtest.net.

I know it's early days, some strange things happening eg.
Can now get the ABC (Aust.) iview app on my phone but it's not listed amongst Googleplay apps on the TV.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 18, 2020, 6:44 pm

Further to this the only app I was able to install on the TV was 7+ (Aust. Channel 7 network) then the installation was via downloading to my notebook!!! Looks like the VPN being the only common denominator has allowed me to do this.
Also I can now "cast" to the TV from the apps on my phone meaning I don't need the app on the TV, this includes audio and video apps I've had for years. Have most of what I have been looking for now in a few hours including the major FTA networks.
Enough for one day!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 18, 2020, 6:57 pm

jackspratt wrote:
November 18, 2020, 12:04 pm
I have been using VPN.ac for a few years, and am very happy with it.

Features I like include:

- located in Romania, so no 5 Eyes ramifications
- no logs kept of traffic
- has a SecureProxy add-on for Firefox and Chrome browsers
- servers in 21 countries, including Oz
- no noticeable drop in download speeds
- compatible with Windows and Android (including Android TV)
- easy swapped between servers in different countries
- automatic renewal, with prior email notice

Cost is US$43.50 annually, by using the TRIALOFF promotion code.

https://vpn.ac/cart.php?a=checkout
looks good J, I must try this one
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 19, 2020, 1:51 pm

I just discovered an alternative to VPN.....100% free.

Install NOX. This is a neat piece of software that allows any Android App to run on Windows. I then loaded Live NetTV 4.7 as an Android app running under NOX.

Outcome, hundreds of TV stations and movies from all around the world for free, no VPN, no signups, no logons, just browse and play.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » November 21, 2020, 3:11 pm

I have been using IP Vanish for several years and I have been very satisfied with it. Do not expect a VPN to increase your speed. The purpose of a VPN is for your protection and privacy from your ISP spying on you and logging your activity on the internet. Your ISP can just see your data passing through their system and they cannot do any content monitoring or read it because your data is encrypted. I use it on all of the devices that access the internet all of the time. Not only does a VPN service such as IP Vanish and other VPN Services available also encrypt you data. It also prevents issues such as DNS Hijacking which can cause you a lot of trouble and grief. DNS Hijacking can be done with a rouge Public Access Wi-Fi Point which can be set up anywhere and if you log into that Wi-Fi Access Point your data will be routed through that rogue DNS server which can be something as small as a Pi 4 is a Single Board Computer where all of your logins and passwords can be collected and used for nefarious activity.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 21, 2020, 3:58 pm

Thank you @pf-flyer for your explanation, certainly clears up a number of blanks I had in my lack of knowledge of the subject.
I was expecting a small loss of speed but happy with the way things turned out thus far.
I'm using the local 3BB (so called) 200/50 MB fiber optic plan (631.3 Baht/Mth). = No outages or streaming stutters.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » November 22, 2020, 8:28 am

You are welcome. I am using 3BB also. I have 3BB and TOT. I live in a small rural farming village and when one of them goes down I still have the other as a backup. I have a Load balancing router and use both 3BB and TOT at the same time. I am a retired University IT Manager. I enjoy working with IT Technology.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 22, 2020, 11:33 am

I'm also in the rice paddies, if 3BB goes down for an extended period I just buy a one day 4G data pass (about 17 Baht) with AIS and tether my phone to my note book via USB. I can live without entertainment but need my computer to help manage my day to day activities eg. business, family, stock market etc.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » November 22, 2020, 12:48 pm

I do the same when our power goes out. If your cell phone has a Mobile hot spot function and your PC can access Wi-fi then you will be able link to the Mobile Wi-Fi hot Spot service running on your cell phone. Most Smart Phones have this function. That is the way that I do it. You do not have to mess around with any cables. It is all wireless. If you have a VPN client service running on your PC then you are set to go.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » November 22, 2020, 4:28 pm

Yes, we’ve got unlimited data on dtac so if the house internet goes down (thankfully this is very rare) I tether devices to my phone hotspot.
Nothing as serious as BD’s business & stock markets, it’s usually just The Girls iPad. If we go any period without easy access to Baby Shark the tantrum is unbearable

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2020, 7:41 am

Niggly wrote:
November 22, 2020, 4:28 pm
...... it’s usually just The Girls iPad. If we go any period without easy access to Baby Shark the tantrum is unbearable
And how does your daughter react? 8)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » November 23, 2020, 11:02 am

jackspratt wrote:
November 23, 2020, 7:41 am
Niggly wrote:
November 22, 2020, 4:28 pm
...... it’s usually just The Girls iPad. If we go any period without easy access to Baby Shark the tantrum is unbearable
And how does your daughter react? 8)
She can usually read what is looming on the horizon so gets me some chocolate from the fridge & tells me to chill out

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 23, 2020, 11:06 am

Lyrics
Baby shark, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”