Sin Sod, marry in udon

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
ruktur
udonmap.com

Sin Sod, marry in udon

Post by ruktur » September 18, 2008, 11:30 pm

Hi Guys,

My Thai girlfriend and me want to do a traditional wedding (Sin Sod) in Udon.

First in the morning the traditional wedding with the monks at her family place and in the nightime maybe in a restaurant or hotel for the party around 100 people.

I want to now if anybody can give me some advise about this, like costs for the sin sod and the party, some nice restaurants or good hotels in Udon!

What was you're experience with the traditional wedding!

Many Thanks in advance,

Tommy

eagle
udonmap.com

Re: Sin Sod, marry in udon

Post by eagle » September 19, 2008, 12:29 am

Sin Sod between 30 000 and 200 000 thb. Wedding between 10 000 and 100 000 thb. Depends how much wine and spirits your friens use. Also menu (western/thai) makes a difference. I have seen most of Sin Sod between 30 000 and 50 000 thb. My own wedding costed about 12 000 thb or maybe more, but that I paid, and we had really too much whisky (only 30 persons or maybe 60-70, because it is always difficult to know who is just bypassing and who is really invited :D :roll: ).

Just one example is normal dinner at Rabian for 10 person with lot of beer. Cost is under 3000 thb. Make it 10 times and you get 100 persons.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 19, 2008, 1:03 am

The Sin Sod should be discussed between you and your girlfriends parents.
Sorry can't give a accurate price for the wedding party as mine was so long ago, and it was in the village.

I've just asked the wife, who organised our niece's wedding 18 months ago, at our other house in the village.
About £4000+ for food and drink, chot Thai, invitations, video, and a Mo-Lam group with sexy dancers.
You'll need to engage some Monks, always a odd number, we had nine and so did our niece. You will also have to allow for the Tambon for each Monk. It's better to have Monks from your girlfriends local Wat, who know the family.
If you having the knees up in a hotel, they can take care of everything, at a price.
Good Luck on your big day.
Now the adventure begins.

=D>
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 19, 2008, 4:12 am

you will get all differant prices/opinions on here Tommy, just have a read through the 'sinsod' topic in relationships forum to get some ideas also, has an amount been mentioned to you..? (sin-sod)
Can You Dig It Dug.?

SanBorn
udonmap.com

Post by SanBorn » November 6, 2008, 8:03 am

Few months ago I went to friends wedding. He married at bar girl prostitute like most farangs do. Everybody knew where she came from and how they met. Wedding cost 20,000 baht and no sinsod since she was a bar girl and a divorce women.
Sinsod is given only if she is worthy to give money for. Such as her virginity, education, family status, social stadining, job, etc.
If she came from a good family, education, job and respectable person, expect to pay 100,000 baht++.
Last edited by SanBorn on November 6, 2008, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 6, 2008, 8:52 am

A lot depends on the reason for the sinsod,whether for ''face'' or a bride price.Rich Chinese in Bangkok actually rent displays of Gold and cash because face is very important!
If your wife is from Isaan and after discussion you decide that sinsod is warranted,then you have to factor in the reason,''face'' or actual bride price.

If your wife is close to her family,you will find that you will probably be called on for many money requests;helping in ''emergency wants or needs'',''business opportunities'',temple donations,funerals,non-falang weddings,education needs,transportation,regular gifts and ''cookies''on visits etc etc etc etc etc etc etc !You should have an understanding of future ''donation''obligations when you discuss the value of sinsod.Families that are not necessarily focused on receiving money from you,will agree to returning the sinsod!
The bottomline is that there is no set figure when dealing with a falang and you will get a good fix on what the families and daughters aims are by the sinsod demands put upon you,especially if she is not a virgin bride!

My wife is Isaan and her sinsod for her initial marriage to a Thai was 12,000 baht,her parents were dead when we married and there was never a discussion of sinsod.That didn't stop requests from ''some''her brothers and sisters for money for many variety of reasons!After approx 100,000 baht of unpaid loans,we have now said no to all requests in the last 8 years except for a 20,000 baht share of the burning of her fathers bones that had been buried for 13 years.Now we give when there is a perceived need w/o request such as 2,000 baht every 2 weeks to support the family staying in Bangkok to take care of her dying brother while he is in the hospital and the costs of transportation to and from burriram!

Good Luck,but if you don't completely discuss expectations with your fiancee and come to an agreement,your future will have always be as much in doubt as your understanding of the ''sinsod''is now!

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » November 6, 2008, 9:42 am

SanBorn wrote: Sinsod is for given only if she is worthy to give money for. Such as her virginity, education, family status, social stadining, job, etc.
Thanks very much for this deep insight into Thai culture Sanborn.
Maybe you could enlighten us more, we sure could use it.

Is a girl who has been forced due to economic reasons to work in a bar and sends all her money back to support her impoverished family not as worthy as a girl who works in Tesco Lotus and blows her salary on clothes and makeup?

What is virginity worth on your dowry calculator, 50,000 baht? Maybe you could provide the full price list for each item.

The giving of a dowry is a personal thing no matter what the girls history, if the prospective groom wishes to pay 1,000,000 baht for the toothless old lady selling som tam at the side of the road because he loves and respects her then that is his choice. There are no set rules, no guide book.
The giving of a dowry is supposed to come from the individuals heart no matter how much it is, not cynically calculated by some kind of checklist.
Free the Doug 1

SanBorn
udonmap.com

Post by SanBorn » November 6, 2008, 10:36 am

Roy wrote:
SanBorn wrote: Sinsod is for given only if she is worthy to give money for. Such as her virginity, education, family status, social stadining, job, etc.
Thanks very much for this deep insight into Thai culture Sanborn.
Maybe you could enlighten us more, we sure could use it.

Is a girl who has been forced due to economic reasons to work in a bar and sends all her money back to support her impoverished family not as worthy as a girl who works in Tesco Lotus and blows her salary on clothes and makeup?

What is virginity worth on your dowry calculator, 50,000 baht? Maybe you could provide the full price list for each item.

The giving of a dowry is a personal thing no matter what the girls history, if the prospective groom wishes to pay 1,000,000 baht for the toothless old lady selling som tam at the side of the road because he loves and respects her then that is his choice. There are no set rules, no guide book.
The giving of a dowry is supposed to come from the individuals heart no matter how much it is, not cynically calculated by some kind of checklist.
Sinsod is a Thai custom and not mine(American) nor is it yours. You are applying farang view to Thai custom which doesn't work. If you want to pay dowry(sinsod) for bar girl prostitute, divorce women, or toothless old lady selling somtam that is "up to you" but no Thai men will pay a single baht for those women. In fact only farangs will pay sinsod for those types of women because it makes them feel good and feel worthy for having a young bride. However, to Thai people faranags are rich fools. That's why many Thais call us farangs "kawaii" behind our backs. Best to learn Thai language and see what Thais really think of us and you'll be very disappointed.
If Thai women can 1,000,000 baht for sinsod from you wait and see later on for real suprise for those sick water buffaloes for rest of your relationship with her and her family. For your info, you can get a virgin for 5-10K, and nor do I ever want one.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » November 6, 2008, 10:52 am

sadly they do not realize the well is only so deep and they think it honey moon for the entire family
as for paying sin sod that your call what makes you happy I will not say your wrong or right
now I just about finished the house I had built for my wife I had to explain to her I am broke
and in debt now I have to pay for all those materials I bought on my credit card and I told
her it will take me about six months to clear it up and I also said the spending ends now
and after the stock market drop 500 points it sure does make our future look bleak
when you go to the bank and exchange your funds

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 6, 2008, 10:53 am

SanBorn wrote: However, to Thai people faranags are rich fools. That's why many Thais call us farangs "kawaii" behind our backs. Best to learn Thai language and see what Thais really think of us and you'll be very disappointed.
You'll only be disappointed if you care what they think or say.

In my case, other than my Thai family, I don't give a rats arse what others think.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » November 6, 2008, 12:27 pm

"Sinsod is given only if she is worthy to give money for. Such as her virginity, education, family status, social stadining, job, etc."

Well then, I'm just another worthless slut ------- but a happy one;o)

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 6, 2008, 1:20 pm

I know a lady.... No I take that back a female and she is marrying for the third time early next year. She is boasting the guy is paying 1million Baht sin sod. It is her third 1 million Baht dowry and her second fahlang husband in 2 years. Nice money na? Frankly I don't think she'd get a kick in a stampede but each to his own and all that.

Anyway best of luck Tommy.

You can read the previous topic here: Sin Sod

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 7, 2008, 9:46 pm

You have asked the 64000 dollar question, Sin Sod, me I gave nothing, but others have paid vast sums.
As stated that is in your heart if you are paying the whole bill for Thai wedding and hotel festivities it might be considered paid, there have been a couple of posts abotu it and I suggest you read them and TALK as least to your girlfriend, DO NOT BE bamboozled into agreeing anything until you have weighed up all the costs.
Weddings inhotel or parties,
yes many of the hotels will do anything for you for a cost
ban Chiang, karin are two I have attended farangs and Thai weddings and parties. At both they will offer service and menus which can be tweaked in order to satisfy even your particular likes and dislikes.
You can of course ask them to provide the booze, but my suggestion is agree to pay them for mixers, but you can prebuy spririts and beer and have it shipped in , then any left over you can keep for later.
Thjey do take care and do not rip you off, or so I have been told, but you have to be firm with the hotel organiser.
Enjoy and hope it all goes well.

Bangsean_girl
udonmap.com

Post by Bangsean_girl » November 7, 2008, 10:31 pm

ruktur wrote:Hi Guys,

My Thai girlfriend and me want to do a traditional wedding (Sin Sod) in Udon.

First in the morning the traditional wedding with the monks at her family place and in the nightime maybe in a restaurant or hotel for the party around 100 people.

I want to now if anybody can give me some advise about this, like costs for the sin sod and the party, some nice restaurants or good hotels in Udon!

What was you're experience with the traditional wedding!

Many Thanks in advance,

Tommy
Dear K Tom
well I think I might have some interesting information for you. First of all for the morning ceremony , there is a restaurant called Palalin near Nongprajak park which provide the tables ,chairs and nine dishes kind of food (you can chose the kind of food you want later ) for 900 baht per table. They will go and set up everyhting right in front of your house or wherever you want your ceremony to take place the day before your wedding and on the wedding they will provide you the waiter and waitress! you dont have to do anything sound good? :D . If you also looking for the monks food you can pay them 250 baht extra per each monk more.well I belive that your thai wedding will be at the bride's house, as a result, you might want some flowers to be decorated at the house i.e., the flower gate. You can go and take a look at the flower shop which near Charean sri plaza (local ppl will know it as the old chareansri complex, which I'm sure your soon to be wife will know) the flower gate cost around 4000-5000 baht then they will come the evening before your wedding day and decorate the palce for you, you dont have to do anything again sound good? :D . and by the way for thai wedding you are gonna need the thing to hold the money (sinsod)and stuff like gold which I think your wife parents might prepare it since it is in thai traditional if not ask the flower shop to do it for u, It wont be more than a thousand baht.
For the evening ceremony , According for you saying there are around 100 people in the ceremony which is not so many, As a result I recomended the Chareansri Grand Royal hotel!! (not sure if i spell 100 percent right, but the hotel is next to Robinson) , Well actually the Grand ball room there is made for 300 people, however they have smaller room for a hundred ppl ( I'd like you to see it with your own eyes see if you like it or not). If you have 300 ppl it will be perfect since the ball room is incredibly beautiful.They ask 2800 baht per one table with about 9 dishes kind of food ready to be served include dessert. They will also provide wedding cake, wedding flowers,wedding book etc.(however make sure you let them know in case your gf would like to throw the flower, and want them to make it for you), for the mc, I know the two very most famous mc who can do it in both language.(if you want one let me know) oh and the most important for your wife! If she need make up!! there is the best make up salon for the bride near the police station road. Your bride won't be regret!! Anyway, if you need the stuning photo shot on the memorable day the photographer I know is only 5000 baht cost with un-limited photos(it worth it) and another 4000 baht for the vdo man! they do perfect job.All these information is pretty update!! if you want to know about pre wedding studio photo and anything else please ask ;) I can make thing easy for you!
ps. apologised for all wrong spelling, it's too long to be checked :P

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 7, 2008, 11:26 pm

Errrrr... Bangsean_girl forget the spelling but will you brush up on paragraphs... I had to use eye drops after trying to read your post. Thanks.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 8, 2008, 4:58 am

Ruktur....After reading the above in-depth post... best bring plenty cash and cards.

Chok-dee
Can You Dig It Dug.?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 8, 2008, 6:38 am

that sounds like a lot of messing about and money , for what is after all just a pretty day out . :( :( :( :(

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 8, 2008, 6:46 am

I agree Saint...but as we know plenty of Women would not. :|

Do the deed with plenty of smiles and make sure the wife looks fantastic , a few beers,bit of Music + Dancing(others not me),Bit of Food, More beer more smiles a few photos etc etc.people go home happy... Job Done.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » November 8, 2008, 10:58 am

I have attended one village wedding, so I'm no expert and I can't say this is what yours would or should be like. I belive every situation, wedding, and sin sod is diffrent, but this is what I saw:

The girl (late 20's and with one child) met her falang groom (early 50's) in Phuket and has been living with him in Phuket for 2 years. In this case the couple did not need to do anything concerning the wedding arrangements other that buy the wedding cloths and pay for her make-up artist and hairdresser. Her mother made and paid for all the wedding arrangements which included renting tents, tables, chairs, hiring a band, hiring a photographer, buying all the food, beer, and organizing family and friends to prepare food. A showing of 200,000 baht was presented but the prearrangement was that this was only a display for the wedding and the money was given back to the groom after the wedding. It was agreed they would give money to the mother in the future when they could afford it.

I think the mothers main issue with paying the sin sod (in this case) was a showing of the money to family and friends.

The wedding started early. At the crack of dawn the women started preparing food, at 8am nine monks came to the house and preformed the blessing ceremony. Money was given to the monks by the mother.

After that, guests started showing up and the food and drink started flowing. I'd estimate a little over 100 people showed up.

At 10am the wedding ceremony began in the house, family and friends came in to watch but most people stayed outside eating and drinking. A loud speaker system was set up so the people outside (along with any neighbors who didn't come) could hear everything going on inside during the ceremony.

Be prepared to sit cross legged for a long time! The ceremony lasted about an hour. I believe it was the village head man that conducted the ceremony. A group of immediate family sat in a circle around a large flower arrangement with the bride and groom. I don’t know the significance of these rituals (maybe someone else on the form can explain) but what I saw was a string that was passed around the circle and held by everyone, white dots of paint put on the bride and grooms face, a silver bowl held up by the mothers of the bride and groom and of course lots of talking by the head man and prayers.

Then came the counting of the sin sod, a cloth was laid out and the 200 1,000 baht notes were carefully counted out into the microphone and fanned out on the cloth for all to see. The money was then place in the silver bowel and hoisted up on the mothers shoulder (as if very heavy) and she carted it off to another room.

After this everyone in the room took turns going up to the bride and groom to tied a white string around there wrist and give them a gift of money (what I saw being given by each person was between 100-500 baht).

Then it was food drinking and dancing until around 5pm. They had a full band with a singer and dancing girls playing Thai pop songs.

Back to sin sod, like many things in Thailand is up to you! In contrast, another daughter of the mother married a rice farmer in the village who paid 20,000 baht sin sod. For a village rice farmer I would guess thats about a half a years income.
Where U go?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 8, 2008, 3:20 pm

beer monkey wrote:I agree Saint...but as we know plenty of Women would not. :|

Do the deed with plenty of smiles and make sure the wife looks fantastic , a few beers,bit of Music + Dancing(others not me),Bit of Food, More beer more smiles a few photos etc etc.people go home happy... Job Done.
well my wedding cost me a fortune , i must of spent at least 5000 baht , all the running around i had to do in bangkok , add to that the hotel bill of around 10 , 000 , my mrs was happy to go to the amphur office , to trap me . and we enjoyed what would of been spent liquering up the whole village , on ourselves and a nice week in phuket . got a local road sweeper to take the photos , everyone was happy , except the free loaders from her village . thats what you call job done !!!!!!! L A would of been proud !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Relationships”