The Brick House.

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
vlad
udonmap.com

The Brick House.

Post by vlad » March 6, 2018, 10:51 am

This is not a free publicity or sponsor bump just a view of a tourist who went for breakfast this morning. First impressions I thought id walked into a traditional English pub great deco well thought out. Plenty of TV's plus a projector for the footy. I went for the full English and it was full i had trouble polishing it off big glass of orange plus tea 170 bt. This bar in my opinion is going to take some beating when its up on its feet so check it out.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: The Brick House.

Post by Nigglyb » March 6, 2018, 1:55 pm

Whereabouts?
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » March 6, 2018, 2:06 pm

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » March 6, 2018, 3:22 pm

Cheers

Only opened yesterday which is probably why I'd not come across it before :lol:
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 8, 2018, 12:59 pm

I went in yesterday evening and must say lovely bar hospitable staff and owner had eaten so unfortunatley didnt get to try the large menu some great imported beers on draught at reasonable prices and also does the local beers in bottles will certainly be making it a regular stop

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 10, 2018, 11:41 am

Nice setting, sat at the back in the garden setting, has good selection of papers to read,waitress was nice, understood English, when I asked do you have worcestershire sauce she said yes, and went and got a bottle lea & perrins, good thanks I'll have the Breakfast, even though it was early evening, B190, with a Pink Pint, strawberry milk shake, big glass of milk arrived and she was very pleased, it was her first milk shake made, tasted good, but to sweet, spoke to her and ask how much flavouring she put in, told her next time make it half the amount, way to sweet, toast was 2 slices of extra thick with jam and butter, total cost meal was B280 with B20 tip, good experience, the extra big plate and thick toast will have me going back again.

Out side the Soi was a 20k wind blowin, at the back in the garden section was very little, so on a hot day not much wind would get in, some fans will be needed, The Irish clock is the only place down the Soi that has A/C, but since the menus has changed and no BKK post to read, been in there 3 times in 4 months, when past I have eaten there several times a week, no I go to sizzlers for the same cost, if not cheaper B210 for a all you can eat salad and glass of juice
Will try the Brick out for lunch and see how the temperature goes, I like to eat in cool surroundings, so March it starts to get hot and humid, when you sweat just sitting doing nothing but sipping a cool one, ChoW
Master Builder

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 12, 2018, 8:26 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3rZi3kCeA[/youtube]

Several vid post
Master Builder

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 12, 2018, 8:27 pm

Bangers mash salad, very good B240
Attachments
IMG_2674.JPG
Master Builder

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 25, 2018, 9:19 am

so we took the advice of tamada and went to eat at the brickhouse ...
we ordered mixed grill 340 baht , and a smoked salmon baguette 185 baht
the good ...
nicely decorated place and friendly owner ..
good variety of menu and surely drinks
the main items of the mixed grill were good...
the bad (meaning need improvement)
first a general remark to most restaurants , what is it with serving always plainly cooked and reheated (sometimes cold) vegetables mostly broccoli , cauliflower, beans,carrots....as there are so many vegetables here on the market as different ways to prepare them more savory as plainly cooked (empty)..also having more inspiration in the accompanied salad would be nice ...
secondly serving a sauce in a tiny milk can the size you can dip 2 times and gone? very easy to make a decent savory sauce with simple ingredients and serving enough of it for your chosen dish....
back to the subject
the smoked salmon baguette had no inspiration at all except for the nice presentation of the very good french fries..
the baguette looked like a pre-baked one forgotten to bake the second time and was softer as a soft bun...
no sign of any accompanying sauce ...
the serving staff was as usual in los inexperienced and had no clue what they where serving ...
this is however an overall problem in los ...
most annoying how ever was the time they needed to cook these items , we had to wait long time ( + 1hour)as did the other customer next to us for his breakfast (1 hour too) this with no other serving customers present , so work to be done in the kitchen organization too...
but here also i understand how difficult it is to find qualified staff in los , so the lack of good service is forgiven if the food is good ...
what prices concerned , menu prices ok ,all beer prices reasonably high , meaning to me ,chang beer 100 baht is over but this seems to be a trend in many udon businesses , foreign beers also too expensive too...this also go's for wine prices ,many wines 150 baht/glass what would be ok if it was good wine and not boxed wine as it mostly is ..
again this is an overall remark to most restaurants in udon...
all my comments are made as constructive and not meaning to discredit any businesses...
and last some pictures of our ordered items...
the mixed grill
DSC01316 (Copy).JPG
the smoked salmon baguette
DSC01315 (Copy).JPG
i am sure this restaurant will be ok if it can get past some beginning struggles, if i place this restaurant in a particular style i would say los amigos , casper roadhouse style, more nicely decorated ....
again this is a review based on our knowledge and standards and i am looking forward to see some reviews from other people before our next visit there ,as we all are different ...
enjoy your food and drinks .... ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2018, 10:55 am

I have had three meals in the Brick house so far, all excellent value for money, quality, quantity and price. The owner takes time out to introduce himself and make sure all is ok, love the use of all the recycled timbers, one of the best interior fit outs I have seen in Udon, great stuff and just what we need here, well done Max, wish you success with this business.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 25, 2018, 11:22 am

This bar is just what Udon has needed for a long time an owner who looks after his customers and listens a wide range of drinks and food at reasonable prices chang 100thb for large bottle in a lovely setting is by no way overpriced imported draft beers at around 185 a pint i like many others am on a budget here but now spend most of my time in here than sitting in some shack to save 10bht Yes there are problems with the staff unfortunatley this is a big problem in udon to many bars have let the staff rule them scared to tell them to put there phone down or look up at customers as the staff just walk out and go to another bar I know Max will ensure there are improvement in this area but will take some time but I would still say he is allready ahead of the game on most other establishments in the town

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

I have been by Brick House several times. It has good curb appeal, and they obviously sunk some capital into it. They just aren't doing enough to bring customers in. They will need big numbers in high season to survive. While effort was made in creating the place, it doesn't look like it matches very well with the demographics of the foot traffic in the area. Are locals going to park at Central and walk over? Unlikely. A few might make a special trip over and park on the street, but I doubt it, and those that do are probably coming over to their regular places to have a few with their regular friends. The barflys don't just get up from their local bar stool and move over to a restaurant. Now, look at the tourists. Many going to or from getting soaked on visas, and simply trying to get back to CM or BKK. And then the matter of it being right smack in the middle of a "naughty area." So it is competing with more than just other restaurants....High rent, high taxes, insanely high import taxes, labor problems, high utility costs, and a very long low season thats some of the bar employees will tell you has been going on for several years...does not spell success. But, they just keep adding more and more capacity.

I have no idea, who the owners are, and I have no interest in any competitor. Just giving my two pesos. It seems like getting a cold beer is a total crapshoot, at just about every establishment, unless it is out of my own refrigerator.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 25, 2018, 1:05 pm

do they sell ARCHA or to hi-so , for them types ..?

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 1:43 pm

timmy wrote:
March 25, 2018, 1:05 pm
do they sell ARCHA or to hi-so , for them types ..?
It is HiSo...Large Chang for 100...dont know if they are playing the ice game.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 25, 2018, 3:02 pm

Love the Pineapple crush there go in 4-5 times a week, regularly do a fly by on the Red Rocket with vid of Soi Farang, some vid reviews from The Brickhouse INN on you tube
Toilet review [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjOR_cLbRo&t=2s[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKmaqC_67s&t=8s[/youtube]

Kitchen upgrade[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D44BG7zlRl4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjnjzWVWMiM&t=3s[/youtube]

The owner spent B4m for the reno, with his best night to date being B90 short of 50k 17th Paddy day

Tried some Curry Indian food out yesterday, not on the menu yet was given a sample, good as the old clock Curry Thursdays, told him about the crowd that used to into the clock for the curries, hew working to expand the menu, few more month and curries will be on the menu.

Sports channel has been expanded, as it is quieter and cooler sitting in the Brick Inn than 2 other bars that have sport, slightly more up market. some of the punters watching in there were convinced better place to watch sport, the back garden setting is nice with some greenery, I like to sit out front and check out the passing of the Farangee.
Master Builder

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 25, 2018, 3:02 pm

Love the Pineapple crush there go in 4-5 times a week, regularly do a fly by on the Red Rocket with vid of Soi Farang, some vid reviews from The Brickhouse INN on you tube
Toilet review [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjOR_cLbRo&t=2s[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKmaqC_67s&t=8s[/youtube]

Kitchen upgrade[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D44BG7zlRl4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjnjzWVWMiM&t=3s[/youtube]

The owner spent B4m for the reno, with his best night to date being B90 short of 50k 17th Paddy day

Tried some Curry Indian food out yesterday, not on the menu yet was given a sample, good as the old clock Curry Thursdays, told him about the crowd that used to into the clock for the curries, hew working to expand the menu, few more month and curries will be on the menu.

Sports channel has been expanded, as it is quieter and cooler sitting in the Brick Inn than 2 other bars that have sport, slightly more up market. some of the punters watching in there were convinced better place to watch sport, the back garden setting is nice with some greenery, I like to sit out front and check out the passing of the Farangee.
Master Builder

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

To timmy and thighlander, you have no idea, best you shut the f up. You dont know what locals desire!!! If I want food I go to a resturaunt, if I want cheap beer I go to a bar, if I want Archa I go ro a mum and dad shop, useless pricks.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 25, 2018, 6:52 pm

Fat Bob
Struck a nerve did they???

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2018, 7:19 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 25, 2018, 6:52 pm
Fat Bob
Struck a nerve did they???
To many lazy pricks that only now how to complain but wont have a go on there own.... same everywhere I guess but a bloke is having a go and the ******* are out because there Archer beer is 10 baht more expensive....

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2018, 7:21 pm

Plus had a very annoying day, wanted to watch my team play but there is now no where to watch NRL until Robert gets back from holidays...

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”