Barn Naa

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
parrot
udonmap.com

Barn Naa

Post by parrot » July 6, 2018, 5:45 pm

One of today's early morning cooking shows highlighted Barn Naa Cafe บ้านนา คาเฟ่.......off the Nongkai Hwy a few km past the old Lotus and just past the Nongsamrong turnoff.
You'll understand why they say "Barn" not Ban (บ้าน) when you see the building.....it does look like a barn. But nice seating inside, although it was a bit warm at lunchtime.
We had padthai and a mushroom soup, passionfruit smoothie and a lemon tea with honey. The pad thai (meatless) was excellent as was the mushroom soup. We followed up with the best coconut cream cake I've ever had and a piece of cheesecake with a chocolate topping and a cappuccino.
I think the place has been opened only since Songkran, but they had a good number of customers.
They have a wide variety of pasties...all baked on sight. Pricey......but not complaining as the quality is premium.

I don't see the place as a sponsor, so I won't post photos.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Barn Naa

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 7, 2018, 10:45 am

parrot wrote:
July 6, 2018, 5:45 pm
They have a wide variety of pasties...all baked on sight. Pricey......but not complaining as the quality is premium.
I did a double take when you wrote this since you are from the U.S. To Canadians, pasties are a covering strippers had to wear over their nipples when on stage. But, I remember that the English refer to pastries as pasties. 555
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 7, 2018, 3:44 pm

"pastries as pasties"

Yes, I was referring to the pastries, not what the girls behind the counter might have been sporting.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 7, 2018, 5:32 pm

Surprised when my girl told me she heard about a new Thai eatery in Mumon a stones throw from our place. Arrived and then see it was Barn Naa. Relaxing but as Parrot said hot. Large fans blowing air though. It really is a barn type building in the rice paddy. Was busy today with only Thais. They need a couple more of the large stand fans. Menu all in Thai and you tick what you want on the menu they hand you.
Pad Thai was nice, bowl of mixed mushrooms, nice. Mixed berry soda for me. Milk tea for the girl. Great carrot cake with passion fruit for my belly.
Complimentary iced water, refilled quickly and in a glass on arrival.
Open 9am till 6.30.
435 bht. All up.
Umbrellas provided for the 50 mtr walk back to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 8, 2018, 7:09 am

Barn Naa.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 23, 2018, 4:15 pm

Interesting piece in ThaiRath about the makings of the restaurant. Udon-Pit, foreign exchange student to Canada, back to university in Bangkok then open a vegetarian restaurant.....no MSG.
I've seen it many times.....folks who study abroad and return to business here, incorporating some of the finer things they learned while overseas.
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1339562

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 23, 2018, 4:29 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 7, 2018, 10:45 am
parrot wrote:
I did a double take when you wrote this since you are from the U.S. To Canadians, pasties are a covering strippers had to wear over their nipples when on stage. But, I remember that the English refer to pastries as pasties. 555
Sorry it's off topic, but I had always assumed that when the strippers in American/Canadian films had nipple covers on it was just the film director making sure that the scene didn't cause the censors to give the film a 15 rating. I didn't ever think that they actually wore such things in real life :shock:
The only place I have actually seen nipple covers was in the bar that was on the road out of town towards KK just past the University.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 23, 2018, 4:29 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 7, 2018, 10:45 am
parrot wrote:
Sorry it's off topic, but I had always assumed that when the strippers in American/Canadian films had nipple covers on it was just the film director making sure that the scene didn't cause the censors to give the film a 15 rating. I didn't ever think that they actually wore such things in real life :shock:
The only place I have actually seen nipple covers was in the bar that was on the road out of town towards KK just past the University.
Purely just for research regarding my Make Udon Great Again campaign is the bar still there :-"

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

That bar closed many years ago

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 23, 2018, 5:08 pm

About 10 years since the powers that be deemed it to be a bit too much of an entertainment venue.

Just as a bit of nostalgia heres one of the full page Udon map adverts...
001.jpg

rct
udonmap.com

Barn Naa Cafe

Post by rct » August 12, 2020, 4:03 pm

To me Barn Naa Cafe is one of Udon's most worthy destinations, having a truly amazing setting in a rustic sort of way. Elegant desserts of very high quality. We will return to try the Thai lunch. (lunch dishes under 100 baht, desserts range 120-180 baht which is good value given the quality).

And if we have visitors to Udon, this is the place!!!

About 10-12 minutes outside the ring road, behind Nongsamrong golf. Need to use googlemaps to find it.

Photos:
https://www.facebook.com/barnnaacafe/ph ... e_internal

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”