Hit by the mangoe thieves!!

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
38nholding
udonmap.com

Hit by the mangoe thieves!!

Post by 38nholding » June 23, 2008, 1:04 pm

Well we bought the house 5 months ago and have some producing mangoe trees. One them produces mangoes in the 2 kilo range(each) !! We have been babying these things for months.
We left for Udon at 6;30 p.m. returned about 9;30 p.m. . Alas ,somebody over the 6 ft concrete wall(gated and fenced) and absconded with said mangoes.
Gives one reason to think.So I guess now I gotta go out and get a dog , I was hoping to avoid all that.One of the reasons I moved to Thailand was because of the lack of petty thievery.

Black Widow

Post by Black Widow » June 23, 2008, 1:21 pm

I will keep my eye out for them they would be selling them somewhere at 2kg a piece I would get a big dog or an electric fence around your tree's.Bastards

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 23, 2008, 1:49 pm

definitely one of your friendly neighbors. 8)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 23, 2008, 4:09 pm

forget the dog and electric fence, get some claymore mines from army surplus. :D :D :D

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » June 23, 2008, 5:00 pm

i have a freind who has got a wel known resort and also has got a big garden with mangoes and many other fruit and vegetables.
he also has got many intruders theiving his suplies.
so what he has done now is,he informed his security gaurd to also keep a eye on his garden,and if he find anyone in his garden just fire a shot in the air.
whether that would help ,who knows

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » June 24, 2008, 12:31 am

The Thais usually have broken glass bottles cemented on the tops of
their retaining walls, I guess that keeps your neighbors honest.

A surveillance cam covertly set-up might also be helpful. Leave something
outside worth stealing (a.k.a. bait) and find-out who your new friend is.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » June 24, 2008, 1:06 am

times are hard and they are all desperate now, so get a 24hour armed guard

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » June 24, 2008, 1:09 am

'because of the lack of petty thievery.'

boy have you got a lot to learn .
i know thais who sleep with the cows at night because of rustlers , and fish farmers who sleep next to the pond because of poachers.

anything and everything will get swiped if there is no warden

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » June 24, 2008, 2:53 am

izzix wrote:i know thais who sleep with the cows at night
I've slept with a few cows in my time aswell...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 24, 2008, 4:14 am

They must of been Mad ones. :lol: :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 24, 2008, 9:03 am

'because of the lack of petty thievery.'
in the village, ban tad, a horrible group or friends and relatives, constantly taking advantage of each other. it was quite surprising. and they thought i built a big wall and lived out of town / village to keep people soliciting away.

not sure how the rest of the place is, but there is no shortage of window and door bar sales. the apartment i rent is a fortress, well the house anyway, has barred doors inside and out and all windows. barbed wire 2 -4 meters up and around, tho Ree locked her self out and had no problem with here and Gem getting in driveway.

always felt safe and nothing ever stolen from house out of village, constant neighbor at home, both sides, and you can't tell if i an home or not, love the wall. no sliding gate. and when i did leave, unless extended, wall locked, house open, but also with a window open and tv on loud enough to hear. just in case, took my new laptop with me all the time. in apartment, neighbors, though doubt if anyone would speak up, feel safer leaving laptop.

never a concern in the states, even living on the wrong side of the tracks. though always had guns, and everyone knew it. so guess that helped, as most house sooner of later got broke into.

Black Widow

Post by Black Widow » June 24, 2008, 10:27 am

100 baht a night and a farm boy with his musket should keep them mangos in ya tree ,but who's to say if the farm boy don't get hungry or falls asleep ,I think you may get a bit of both.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Hit by the mangoe thieves!!

Post by polehawk » June 24, 2008, 11:15 am

38nholding wrote:Well we bought the house 5 months ago and have some producing mangoe trees. One them produces mangoes in the 2 kilo range(each) !! We have been babying these things for months.
We left for Udon at 6;30 p.m. returned about 9;30 p.m. . Alas ,somebody over the 6 ft concrete wall(gated and fenced) and absconded with said mangoes.
Gives one reason to think.So I guess now I gotta go out and get a dog , I was hoping to avoid all that.One of the reasons I moved to Thailand was because of the lack of petty thievery.
Septic service couple (Bonnie and Clyde?) absconded with a cheap variety cellphone that my wife set down outside while she went inside to get money to pay them. No one saw them take it so we couldn't prove they took it. Maybe it fell into septic tank? Went to police station to make a report and got robbed again. They charged us 30 baht to file the report. :roll:

Yeah, I know. Could happen anyplace. Be careful when you allow strangers in to work around your abode.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 24, 2008, 11:27 am

I ran an expensive camera/cell phone through the wash machine and ruined it!

We had some new neighbor with teen boys that moved into the end house of our Soi,as they raced their Mbikes up and down our deadend Soi,I noticed their ''scoping'' out the neighborhood,I mentioned to my wife to be more aware of her items while in the front yard!

She said''oh the won't take anything''!

So I told her ,lets check them out!I set the ruined cell phone about 1 meter inside or driveway on the concrete wall bordering her lawn and garden!Within 1 hour and while she was working in her garden,not 2 meters away,the cell phone was gone!

She couldn't believe it!Now she keeps the gate closed more often as has become more aware :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 24, 2008, 11:29 am

They charged us 30 baht to file the report
that is sad 8)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Re: Hit by the mangoe thieves!!

Post by rickfarang » June 24, 2008, 11:40 am

38nholding wrote:....One of the reasons I moved to Thailand was because of the lack of petty thievery.
Another case of expectations not being met. I'm sorry about the loss of your mangoes. I guess this shows that there is always somebody who is willing to take what is not theirs, given the opportunity.

Last night, my wife's aunt reported that somebody broke into her house in Nong Khai while she was out and broke a lot of stuff looking for money. She has very little ahd the thief only bout about 700 baht. :evil:

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » June 24, 2008, 1:48 pm

Funny one would mention workers ..the water derlivery guys grabbed one off the tree(mango) while leaving the yard a month or so ago,didn't think i saw him.They left a note at 7p.m( the night of the hiest!) that they were there to deliver water ,but we were not home.I just didn't think robbers would leave a note .
So I let the "free range cows"into the yard last night at "roundup time" and they not only ate all my mangoes ,but cut the grass and knocked off some lower braches,and left some fertilizer. Wife was a little bemused at the "ding dong',but no mangoes ,no more problem.
Wife doesn't like cows in the yard . Scared of cows . Maybe get a gaurd COW !(woke up with a few ,that was funny!)
Spent some time in Central america, and what I meant about "petty thievery," is that it is in your face a lot sooner . The first time I came to Thailand I was amazed that people actually left their SHOES outside,overnight!.Couldn't even leave a pair of flip flops outside the door !!
Thanks for the stories as it has opened my eyes a little more . A month ago ,had 20 metres of nice forest green "embassy spikes" put along the top of the wall at the back of the house.Another 80 metres to go at 440 bhat per metre ,unpainted !!
paragraph not working. sorry

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 2:00 pm

A month ago ,had 20 metres of nice forest green "embassy spikes" put along the top of the wall at the back of the house.Another 80 metres to go at 440 bhat per metre ,unpainted !!

Be careful, they don't nick broken glass, but i'm not sure about "embassy spikes", sounds like they can get a good price for them :idea:

sparky
udonmap.com

Post by sparky » June 24, 2008, 3:05 pm

Where do you live? I hope not in one of the new developments like, Lake Garden.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 24, 2008, 3:20 pm

sadly, give it time. all the moo bans are as safe or unsafe and anywhere else. sometimes more so, because worldwide, it takes 2 incomes to survive and most not home. why do you think everyone has bars on windows and doors?

and so many choices all in one place, a crooks dream. must have money or something worth the risk, so many nice houses to rob, so little time. time is money, so moo ban is ripe target. especially if already living there, where else can you learn 10 of your neighbors habits and coming/goings, more so than as a friendly neighbor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”