Sal Arcado In Hospital

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
parrot
udonmap.com

Sal Arcado In Hospital

Post by parrot » October 15, 2008, 5:23 pm

Sal Arcado, commander of VFW Post 10249 and owner of the now-closed California Cafe, is in ICU at AEK Hospital. Sal has a broken leg and a head injury, the result of a heavy metal gate falling on him. Please stop by and visit him if you can.
John Oles

rjb
udonmap.com

Re: Sal Arcado In Hospital

Post by rjb » October 16, 2008, 7:58 pm

A note of information. Sal is unconscious as opposed to being in a coma. Today he opened his eyes briefly at least twice while my wife and I were there, first times in 2 days. He appears to be restless, moving arms and turning his head often, good signs that he wants to wake up but the body just isn't quite ready. His wife and daughter appreciate your support and prayers.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » October 16, 2008, 9:39 pm

Per request of family and Doctors only immediate family visitors for now, they will keep all inform of Sal's condition via this notice board and emails, hopefully he will be able to have other visitors very soon.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » October 17, 2008, 10:40 am

Please convey my hopes for a speedy recovery to his wife and daughter. Will have in my prayers and hopefully everything will be back to normal. Sal has done a lot within the expat community and VFW. Let us know when we can visit, as wish to.

Pop's :pirate:

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » October 17, 2008, 6:31 pm

Sal is doing well as a result of the surgery according to his sister in law. A note aside; there have been some comments from visitors questioning why he was not taken to BKK causing the wife some emotioinal distress. She made her decision under extreme stress and not for us to second guess her. She and Nikki have enough pressure at this point. Visits should still be put off for a couple days.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » October 20, 2008, 8:41 am

For all that may not be on the email list, per 19 Oct 08, email update from RJB, our friend Sal Arcado is doing well. Medical Staff and wife are very encouraged. :D He is responding well to questions by Medical staff. He will be in ICU for a few more days.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » October 20, 2008, 9:31 pm

:D :D :D Good NEWS per RJB's telecon with Lai, Sal's wife, Sal is ALERT and spoke today. She is busy with visitors now. RJB will visit tomorrow and send a more detail report. Maybe a short visit with Sal will be in order within the next few days.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 23, 2008, 4:04 pm

Sal is still in ICU at AEK, showing signs of awakening, yet he is still groggy and unsure of who is visiting him. I stopped in for a few minutes to visit him and his wife/daughter today. It's progress.......slow but sure. Apparently, visitors are allowed in.....but I'd suggest short visits at this point.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » October 27, 2008, 10:27 pm

:D Brief visit with our friend Sal this evening 7:30 pm 27 Oct 08. He call my last name, after that he became incoherent, began to speak Thai/somewhat restless wanting to set up, duty Nurse encourage him to lay down. Took my hand nice strong grip, overall seem to be gettiing better physically. Maybe with a little luck and lots of Prayers [-o< [-o< [-o< (god speed) he will be out of ICU soon.

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » October 31, 2008, 9:30 am

Visited Sal yesterday and was informed there may be some slight progress. He speaks a mix of Thai and English alternately but there is still little to no recognition. His behaviour has become aggressive so visitors are warned to not stand close as he has kicked one doctor and tried to bite and hit at others, then he has periods of calm. Dr Bernard was there and his opinion is that Sal's memory is trying to work but gets snagged, something like a movie reel that has jumped the sprocket. One note on the positive side is that his US med ins will take care of the bills so that isn't a comcern for the family wandering when he might have to leave the hospital.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » October 31, 2008, 9:58 am

Hi friends of Sal's.

Sal and family are such nice folks, so I've been thinkin'.
When Sal gets home and to where he can comprehend what's going on, even if he's still in a wheel chair or whatever, why don't we put together a gathering of his friends and have a nice welcome home potluck bbq party for him.
I'll bring my bbq, and possibly one more for the bbqing, and some meat for the occasion.
We can do the balloons, some nice music, and whatever it takes to show our buddy/mate, he was missed and we're all wishing he and family all the best.

Guess that's my best idea for this day...

Any opinions?

R/Doc

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 31, 2008, 2:26 pm

Great idea. Count me in. Keep us posted.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 5, 2008, 5:24 pm

There will be a prayer for Sal's recovery on Saturday, Nov. 8, 5:00 pm at St. Mary's, in the small chapel behind the church. The bishop will be saying the mass in english and will include a special prayer for Sal's recovery. All are invited to attend, thais, farangs, all religions.

ScorpioPower
udonmap.com

Post by ScorpioPower » November 16, 2008, 12:31 pm

Some prat was going around town yesterday saying that Sal was now better and open to visitors, all and sundry.

Sadly, quite the opposite. Fortunately, Sal was asleep when I arrived.

I did bump into his wife outside the ICU though and, while I'm sure she needs all the support she can get, a sudden invasion of falang visitors will help neither her or Sal at the moment.

She didn't tell me this herself, but that was my conclusion.

[-X

Be gentle folks.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 16, 2008, 4:29 pm

I stopped by to visit Sal in ICU on Sunday at noon. He was awake and looked alert. He was yakking away about his air traffic control days.......but he didn't respond to my questions or know who I was. On the positive side, he's doing leg therapy out of bed (with lots of assistance) and apparently occasionally knows when he's speaking to his wife. I can look at the positive side of things and see that he's improved from the last time I visited.........but he still has a long haul to go. On my way out, he thanked me for stopping by. I'd guess that any and all talking he does with 'friends' is going to help reset all those brain cells again. Stop on by!

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » November 16, 2008, 4:49 pm

Agree John, I was told some time ago that visitors, within reason, might help him with recognizing and identifying people. He is asleep a lot but Lai is there most of the time and some of the ICU nurses speak very good English.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 29, 2008, 10:44 am

Sal returned home a couple of days ago. He is still recovering from the brain injury, but has recovered enough from the broken leg to walk again.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » December 10, 2008, 7:47 pm

How is Sal these days? Anyone heard from him?

ScorpioPower
udonmap.com

Post by ScorpioPower » January 17, 2009, 4:20 pm

I hear that Sal is now out of hospital and back at home.

If this is so, how is he?

[And if this isn't so, I'm going to post the name of the drunken sot that told me!].

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 17, 2009, 4:43 pm

i believe that is accurate info, as i heard the same. [-o<

Return to “Notice Board”