Calling all Udon map members

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Ter
udonmap.com

Calling all Udon map members

Post by Ter » September 24, 2009, 6:04 pm

I would like to start by saying this is a request only and that is all.
I could tell you about what cancer has done to me and my family, but cancer has touched so many that I feel we all are aware of its darkness spreading throughout the world today. I have spent many months recently visiting cancer hospitals due to a family illness and mine, it was then I decided to do something positive for the people who tirelessly remain positive, care for, treat, and look after the many victims of this vile illness.
I have signed up for a trek through part of the sahara with Macmillan cancer support and will be doing this in Feb of next year, It is a challenge for me but one I am willing to do on behalf of this charity. I have trekked in many places though have not done this region before so anyone with good advice on the area (moroccan side) most welcome.
Anyone wishing to sponsor me for a few quid or more is very welcome, you can do this at www.justgiving.com/Terry-walsh. Anyone just wanting to wish me good luck also accepted :D
I will be updating the web page with my progress and look forward to members contributions financial or otherwise.

Regards,

Ter.

P.S. If I have posted in the wrong topic heading please accept my apologies. ;)

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Calling all Udon map members

Post by bumper » September 24, 2009, 8:42 pm

Good luck, good cause thanks for the reminder.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 24, 2009, 10:20 pm

Thanks Bumper appreciate it :D

marcusb
udonmap.com

Post by marcusb » September 24, 2009, 10:41 pm

Besides being a fundraiser for a cause that affects all of us it sounds like an exciting adventure. Do you have any more info on the trek, links, maps etc that you can share with us?
Good luck Ter.
marcus

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 24, 2009, 11:05 pm

Hi Marcus, I have some rough details at the moment and there is some on the sahara challenge site at macmillan.com.
So far I have been told we set out at Ouarzazate ( gateway to the desert) at the bottom of the atlas mountains then trek over shale and rock towards the dunes for a few days then back and forth on a mixture of both. will be sleeping rough so I will be visiting my bones man when I get back 8-[ .
Will get the full sp next month at a meeting, the whole thing will be over in 9 days then it will be ice cold in alex for me. :lol:
Will let you know when i know more.

Ter

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 25, 2009, 2:46 am

Keep us updated Ter......i will be looking on the link you gave, I see you are well on the way already, sure you will hit that target, I will Bump it up a bit as soon as poss, remember to take plenty of photos of the trek,...if you are taking a camera of course. :D

Chok-Dee + Cheers Mate.

Sean.

Image http://www.justgiving.com/Terry-walsh/
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 25, 2009, 4:20 am

Cheers BM, will keep you in the picture so to speak and thanks again for the support. :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 25, 2009, 7:19 am

Best of luck,Ter!I rarely give to charities as I am cynical and wary of their handling of money and actual motives,but ocassionally I do for reasons beyond my understanding or thought processes!

I have attempted to donate on your website and I have had difficulties,so I am changing browsers and will attempt until successful!

Also,I will send a request to my email list to see if there are others on my contact list that might be interested!

Good luck and good fortune,look forward to meeting you when you come to Udon,possibly at a NM get together :D

A point of curiosity:How did you establish your goal amount?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 25, 2009, 1:26 pm

Ter

I worked in Algeria, Libya, Saudi etc, in the deserts and certainly in the Sahara !

I will get a bit of rules and advice together for you based on all my stuff i have.

Give me a few days ok, bit flat out this weekend.

The Sahara is an unforgiving place ! 55 in the day and frosts at night depending on your time of year etc.

Never , never and again for the visually challenged NEVER under estimate this Desert

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 25, 2009, 2:13 pm

Big thanks Stan and Wazza :D
To answer your question Stan, Macmillan set the target so I am unclear as to why, could be that is what they think is achievable by most but they do say that anything over that is 100% to them. I have paid for my travel and I have to pay for my kit ect, so someone taking a %. I will ask the question though at my meeting in October. I will be in Udon in December and Jan so I will meet you at the NM or other. Thanks again stan for your support.
Wazza same to you mate and I am looking forward to a heads up when you have time, I will be travelling in late Feb and I am told it will be in the 30s in the day and below nights so your advice will be very welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Ter

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » September 25, 2009, 3:03 pm

Was able to donate on your site Ter, and i wish you all the best on the trek! My dad died of pancreus cancer many years ago now, and it is a disease i have always watch out for, after watching my poor dad suffer. I donate to Cancer Reseach UK and if i win the lottery (as if) i would send a large slice of dosh to them for sure. There are many charities working in the cancer cure or support area, and Macmillan cancer support are just wonderful in the care and support they give to cancer sufferers.

Also, i always wondered, whatever happened to westerby!? Well i'm pleased to see he is alive and well, and donated on your 'just giving' site!!! :D Perhaps it is easier to donate from UK than elsewhere or in Thailand, but i am sure you will reach your target Ter, and wish you every good luck! :D

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 25, 2009, 3:15 pm

Many many thanks Phil, I sent you a pm and Westers too, thanks for the support and I am sure I will :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 25, 2009, 4:11 pm

Ter

ok, got 30 mins to go over a few hints for you.

No doubt this will be a very well prepared / coordinated trip , so wont go over that too much.

So will focus on you as the individual and no doubt others will offer their experiences as well.

As i said before, dont think this is a jolly down the local tourist track, even if its a well tracked area. We have given major assistance to people who thought they knew the issues every year in the middle of no where.

Feb, wont be that hot , ie 55, but it will see some very direct sun, proper hats with neck, ear and facial protection are a must. Legionaire style are even better but check out the rating on the material, good quality with a UV standard is worth chasing.

In Australia, we use the saying Slip Slop and Slap, so make sure a good sun block is essential, ratings of 40 up are available and well advised.

a bum bag that has a portable water bottle will make your days easier, even in those sort of Temps, your looking at a probably 5 -7 Litres of water per day, assuming ur exercising somewhat. Of this, some of this intake will be included in ur cooked food. Tea and coffee are drinks you tend to rely on back home, but if you add sugar to them, it can act as a diuretic somewhat.

Take some powdered sports drink sachets, dont try to take the actual drinks in bottle, weight issues.

Many of the " Sports drinks " are so full of salt and Sugar, they work in reverse for you.

U can get these from good pharmacies, and 1 brand name is Gastrolyte, good flavours and many members will say, thats for use if you have diahorrhea etc, correct. a Pharmacist will give u good professional advice, a sports shop is a retail outlet ( ok both are )

It has a balanced electrolyte balance when mixed with water, and will replace the sodium, potasium , etc lost during sweating and dehydration etc, also good of you have diahorrhea.

Take some Imodium for diarhorrea, and if you do get this STOP ur walk as you will dehydrate immediately if you continue.

Shirts - make sure they have good collar protection, T shirts will see u sunburnt.

Good lightweight trousers, suggest the North Face style, easy to wash and dry and also have the zip out trousers to make shorts !

Boots - now this is ur saviour here, a cheap pair wont last you a week, on rocks, shale, and the sand takes no enemies for grit inside you shoe. Get a good breathable shoe , Northface etc with Gortex ( breathable ) makse sure u have extra laces ! socks good reliable socks, not nylon as they rub and blisters will stop u in ur tracks. Look at good ankle support as well,

Dont laugh at this . i have been given good boots and they didnt last a week, why ?? well the glues they use on the soles to keep it all together melted and the things broke down and thrown away. standing on sand at 55 degrees melts your shoe.

Look at the sole and look at the way its stitched / moulded etc

Sleeping bags, dont skimp on this, u need to find out the weather at night time, temps down to 0 Celcius are very common for that time of year. Match your temps to the bag u will buy,

Food - probably have a calorie intake of 3-4000 kj ?? make sure its not sugar loaded, but still take some snacks for sure. Snacks, that will withstand the temps in the day time. Nothing worse that a pkt of prized Jelly Babys melts into a blob.

Heat awareness, remember to try and keep in touch with your water intake, first thing u will notice is, you havent had a pis* all day, not a good sign, kidneys working overtime to retain what fluid you have taken in. Keep an eye on the colour, dark , orange, brownish, - Kidneys not happy ! and mild dehydration.

Headaches are not because you cant log on here ! its another sign of dehydration, first signs and u need to STOP, rest, water intake, shelter and shade.

Dont get sucked in, I feel better now and its only 8 km to go, you wont get there.

Dry skin, pinched and not rebounding, dizzyness, nausea and vomiting, blurred vision, stumbling, STOP ! STOP STOP, this needs medical assistance , if vomitting u cant take the water and IV's are the way. cool them down also with cold packs in the groins and auxillas.

Make sure u have adequate travel insurance that actually covers you for this event, read the fine print.

Back to work and fire off any questions , i will get back to them later today.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 25, 2009, 4:32 pm

Thanks Wazza, at the mo i am breaking in a pair of lowa desert elites, and I am looking at a camelback lite with a bladder, I also have a tilley hat I have had for some years. Got confirmation on my insurance and taken your advice on all the rest. upto 6hour treks at the moment on all types of terrain with x trainer and cycling thrown in.
let me know your thoughts on my kit so far. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 25, 2009, 4:48 pm

Ter

looking good

Definately recommend that backpack / with drinking bladder if ur cycling, worth its weight in gold.

Now these are the "Ducks Guts" of hot outdoor working environments.

http://www.ferno.com.au/Products/Height ... fault.aspx

http://www.ferno.com.au/Products/Rescue ... fault.aspx

I used these every day in the desert and they last hours !

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 25, 2009, 5:30 pm

hey wazza, that's the reason i don't hike/trek/exercise....way too dangerous, ok, i'm just a lazy sh*t :D

hey Ter, good luck and have a good one, be careful out there. always a good heads up for eveyone, early detection is the key. sorry to hear you and so many have to worry, including myself. though most cancers in my family were a tad self induced, throat and liver/heavy smokers and alcoholics. though a new one, brother, squeaky clean, good diet/exercise/no abusive vises, butt cancer, so now something actually in family, lucky me, had a colonscope way back when, 10 yrs ago, now a barium every other year, full abdomen ultrasound every year. so spend my medical money on preventive scans, instead of after diagnosis. any insurance that offers yearly check ups is way too expensive, i'm way a head on that financial curve after 10 yrs. that pancreatic cancer is scary, hard to detect and not a good one to have, as a friend of mine in states is going threw that now, and not positive.

excellent effort and good cause. =D> =D>

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » September 26, 2009, 3:43 am

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Fundraising ... lenge.aspx

Hey Terry, I've just been reading up on this challenge, it sounds great.
Doug! Doug! Doug!

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 27, 2009, 1:36 pm

Thanks to the members who donated and those who wished me good luck :D to the members having a problem donating to the site from overseas no worries I will be in Udon in December and you can do it then.
Once again on behalf of Macmillan and myself thank you. :D

Ter

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » September 27, 2009, 2:44 pm

Ter wrote:Early start to the day, rode through part of epping forrest fell off a few times probably gonna feel it in the morning, then off to the pool for a swim. Now back home showered and starving might even have a pub sunday lunch today. Today life is good and on the first rung of getting fit. :D
Have MacMillan given you a training schedule to follow, Ter, or have you drawn one up yourself?
Doug! Doug! Doug!

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 27, 2009, 3:41 pm

Yes Steve, they have quite comprehensive too, from stretching first to a week by week build up all the way through to feb. I started asap as I have been fit in the past but the last few years in my role as a recidivist has taken it's toll. :D

Return to “Notice Board”