Fee Changes - American Citizen Services and Immigrant Visas

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Fee Changes - American Citizen Services and Immigrant Vi

Post by bumper » July 10, 2010, 7:11 pm

In there last visit here in Udon, the lady mentioned there would be fee increases, She did n know what they would be at the time. Somebody has to pay for the Obama economy. The great health care plan friend had Blue Cross as part of his retirement package last year his fees were $64 a year, this year $1,600. Robin Hood he Ain't, He has it backwards. Don't forget to declare any over seas account that has more then $10 k in it.

This may not be good for us but, sure beats what happening in the states.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » July 10, 2010, 9:01 pm

Look,,,,,,, there must be some confusion, I don't blame Obama or any other president or their administration.

I am upset when any government entity arbitrarily decides to impose fees, raise fees, impose rules or regulations, or emplace obstacles in our daily lives with a "we know what's best for you and there's nothing you can do about it" attitude.

I have observed a number of similar situations over the past few years from a complete range of government levels; federal down through state and local city councils,,,,,,, elected through appointed officials,,,, both paid "public servants" and appointed nonpaid "officials" and I for one am getting tired of hearing "It's because of 9-11" or "we have to do this because of security". I still say it's a complete crock!

Another example is the bureaucratic torture currently imposed upon Thai female applicants and their spouses/sponsors for visas, either married or otherwise. The State Department commandos would have you think they are the last line of defense against the total annilation of Americas "purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain",,,, these women could destroy America as we know it. But meanwhile,,,, literally thousands of illegal, completely undocumented aliens swarm across our borders with an unknown cargo of diseases, drugs, and possible terrorist intent daily.
It's pure insanity,,,,,

They really do think we're stupid,,, and maybe some of us are, but that's no excuse for their attitudes.

Regarding passports etc,,,,,,, with the advent of worldwide data bases and digitized passports with personal info and biometric data encased, there is absolutely no excuse for a time lag,,,,,,,, service should be immediate if the individual is a walkin and the passport not mailed. The consular official or "employee" should simply take the passport, pass it through the "reader", look at the individual to ascertain their picture ID, and after determining the passport is almost expired, been damaged, or no empty visa pages remain,,,,, create a new passport on the spot. This is 2010 and I maintain that it could be done. ,,,Now,,, that's not to say it may "break someones ricebowl" or render their little kingdom of a job useless, but technically it could be done. Just create a new passport,,, don't add pages,,,,,,,,,

Sorry if I have strayed from the original topic and it's meant to only be directed towards the U.S. Embassy/State Department etc, and not other countries embassies and policies.

Cheers,,,,,LL

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 11, 2010, 8:56 am

Actually it's all part and parcel this is just one more nail. The little guy didn't screw it up, unless he lied about his income for the loan. I have yet to see the big guy take it in the shorts for his screw up. Just the opposite they get bonus's for destroying the world economy. Hey they make money give them bonus for job performance, when they don't make a profit they don't deserve a frigging bonus.

Every job I have had in my life, I screwed up I got a penalty for it not a reward. This just one aspect that hurts people. 10K in the bank give me a break.

I can live with the additional fees. But, the rest has me really pissed off

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 11, 2010, 9:23 am

This is an exchange between Jack Nicholson's character: George Hanson, and Dennis Hopper's character: Billy,
From the movie "Easy Rider", circa 1969.
Seems it still rings true today...?:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064276/quotes
George Hanson: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.
Billy: Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened. They're scared, man.
George Hanson: They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.
Billy: Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.
George Hanson: Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.
Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.
George Hanson: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.
Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.
George Hanson: No, it makes 'em dangerous
I really don't think our government particularly likes us ex-pats, or what we stand for. IMO.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » July 11, 2010, 12:32 pm

If we stay home we don't have to pay any of these fees. It's our choice to leave the US, and it isn't something we can do for free.

Our government and the government of any country we visit is going to charge us for it. It happens in EVERY country, regardless of the form of government. We're lucky to be from a country that will let us leave. Not all people have that freedom.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » July 11, 2010, 1:35 pm

Well I reckon it's on my way to BKK tonight to get some more pages added to my Passport (2nd time) before the start charging on the 13th. Eight blanks and 3 1/2 years to go. Don't think I'll make it to renewal time.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 11, 2010, 2:02 pm

bamakmak wrote:I can confirm that they still add pages to your passport in Vientiane as an "on-site" service. After reading about the fee increase Thursday, I went to Vientiane yesterday to beat the impending deadline. I handed my passport to the embassy employee, took a seat, and 10 minutes later was given back my passport with the new pages. Not a single person queued up for the same service, which surprised me. I thought there would be a line of at least 10 people trying to get the additional pages while they are still free.
It seems impossible to justify an $82 fee for a 10 minute service.
Funman...Why don't you just go over to Vientiane tomorrow? A lot less time and money spent.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 11, 2010, 2:49 pm

Funman...Why don't you just go over to Vientiane tomorrow? A lot less time and money spent.

don't forget your exit stamp for those going the laos route, does sound easier and cheaper, and diverse if haven't been there yet, stay a night or 2, get it off your list of things to do. :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 11, 2010, 4:06 pm

laphanphon wrote:Funman...Why don't you just go over to Vientiane tomorrow? A lot less time and money spent.

don't forget your exit stamp for those going the laos route, does sound easier and cheaper, and diverse if haven't been there yet, stay a night or 2, get it off your list of things to do. :D
Much cheaper to have a Thai national go in your behalf (obviously someone you can trust) and deliver your passport to the US Embassy, Vientiane to obtain additional passport pages.
The application form for additional pages is the DS-4085. It is also available at the consular section. U.S. passport holders 16 and older must personally sign the application form, but do not need to come to the Embassy personally to request new pages. Rather, they can send a person to do this for them, with a signed statement specifically allowing the designated person to do this on their behalf. The designated person will need to bring valid photo identification.
http://laos.usembassy.gov/passport/addi ... ages2.html

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 11, 2010, 4:35 pm

UdonExpat wrote:If we stay home we don't have to pay any of these fees. It's our choice to leave the US, and it isn't something we can do for free.

Our government and the government of any country we visit is going to charge us for it. It happens in EVERY country, regardless of the form of government. We're lucky to be from a country that will let us leave. Not all people have that freedom.
The fees jumping this much at once is usery. We maintain Embassies in Countries you can't go to. Wait till you try to get a visa for your wife to visit the states. Takes years in most cases if ever.

Your proud America I am as well. But I don't like the crap bucket dumped on me, no matter who is doing it.

I have no problem with the fees. The reason for the fees pissses me off.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » July 11, 2010, 8:14 pm

Bumper I think you must mean something other than usury which is an illegally high rate of interest.

The rates for these services have gone up many times over the years. I'm not happy to pay higher fees either, but that's how it is and complaining about it does no one any good.

What countries are those that have embassies, but we can't go there?

I believe the only countries we can't go to are those that we don't have diplomatic relations with, such as North Korea, Iran, Cuba, and probably some African nations. If we don't have diplomatic relations there are no embassies in those countries.

The smartest thing is take advantage of the current rates if you can. Otherwise, pay up.

I don't need a visa for my wife because she's a US citizen, but before she became a citizen we had no trouble at all in getting her a visa and green card. The reason most people have a problem with it is because they don't understand the rules and/or don't provide the documentation that's necessary.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 12, 2010, 9:24 am

Probably, never said I wouldn't pay up. Again your missing something here and that is what is causing the rate increases.

These rate don't hurt me one way or another. But there are a lot military guys and others as well that retired a much 20 years ago on fixed incomes. Those guys are really hurt by this.

If you can explain to me why the guys that actually caused the financial mess, that brought this about, were not only not harmed but got bonus's. Then you will convert my thinking.

More then happy to listen.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 13, 2010, 6:53 pm

jingjai wrote:
The application fee for passport cards will increase, from $20 to $30
for adults, and from $10 to $15 for minors.
What is a "passport card" ?
Anyone have one? I did a search on the embassy web site, but didn't see anything on it.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 13, 2010, 7:19 pm

Jello wrote:
jingjai wrote:
The application fee for passport cards will increase, from $20 to $30
for adults, and from $10 to $15 for minors.
What is a "passport card" ?
Anyone have one? I did a search on the embassy web site, but didn't see anything on it.
"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_ca ... _3926.html

Return to “Notice Board”