Kin jay festival 23 september-2october

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » September 16, 2014, 2:51 pm

Next week the Vegetarian Festival starts in Thailand. This year it is from 23 september to 2 october. Anyone on the forum who joins this festival and eats vegetarian for one or more days? Anyone out there who would be interested to try some Jay food during these ten days and would like to have a Kin Jay meeting and eat Jay (veg food) together with other farang?
Cheers

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Post by lahgon29 » September 24, 2014, 2:43 pm

I'd like to go, Chopperjoey..The missus has been to the one in Chantaburi and says It was good. Don't know where It is here.

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » September 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Hi Lahgon,

sorry, i wasn't aware somebody replied, so here a late reply.

Basically there isn't (wasn't?) that much of festivities, i did see a Kin Jay procession this weekend in front of Central, with pick ups, people dressed in white in the back, and some statues of Guam Im, the Goddess of Mercy which is associated with vegetarianism here in South east Asia.

The Temple at the back of Central also had some festivities, mostly for people dressed in white who can pray there, not sure if there was veg foods. (I didn't go there myself.)

Most of the festivities are (until tomorrow) in the regular Jay restaurants, usually they don't have too much customers, but these ten days all the Jay restaurants that i visited are full, mostly with ordinary Thai people who eat vegetarian for ten days or part of these ten days.

If you like to try, i recommend the Jay restaurant in front of Aek Udon Hospital, as usual with Jay restaurants they close around 6 PM,

Chopperjoey

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 29, 2014, 5:13 pm

The restaurant in front of AEK is also across the street from AEK.

Additionally, you will find that many restaurants have temporarily added vegetarian dishes to their menus, and larger stores (Big C, Tesco, Tops) display vegetarian food, marked with a yellow and red flag. Note, however, sometimes these flags mark foods they think are vegetarian, but contain animal products such as gelatin.

Return to “Notice Board”