Blood Donor Register

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 8, 2008, 11:16 am

They state that this is in fact done, but as we are farangs, our insurance companies may not be ready to be so compliant as Thai ones, they sounded scared to mee, but let us wait until the meeting, then i can give you all a moreconstructive feed back. Thanks for being so patient gentlemen.

Guns

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 18, 2008, 8:10 am

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE... :D
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with the Deputy Provincial Chief Medical Officer, now he and his boss are aware of the concern about farangs and Blood groups especially those with Rhesus Negative Blood.

Now it is their intention to set up a register and at my instigation probably ask for 4-6 monthly donations to supply this blood to Udon, this will be carried out at the Provincial Hospital, Non Prajak.

This is not a private Hospital Initative but a provincial one, which will benefit all expats in Udon, this may very well be a pilot scheme which could spread throughout the country.

However as with all things Thai it will take some time, but he understood the problems and promises to set up the register and also look at regular donations as a way forward.

It is problem that needs to be addressed, I was asked to join in with his steering group to which I agreed, not only is he my friend but also a committed man to make sure good health is available for all.

We discussed the problems of dealing with negative Blood patients that required Blood as opposed to plasma, and he agreed in a situation where they had more than one or two seriously injured people, life could be hard for the doctors and the patients could suffer.

SO Gentlemen, we are moving towards the right answer and although it is taking its time, shouting and gentle persuasion seems to be working, only time will tell how fast, but let me assure you all, that I will not stop until a register or even a bank of Blood exists for all.

Me I am especially glad being O neg, I can only have O Neg blood, with less then 0.3% of Thai Population possibly being O Neg, I am naturally concerned.
For information only about 15% of most European Countries , USA, Canada and Australia have negative Blood, with only about 6.3 % percent being O neg.
Guns

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 18, 2008, 12:35 pm

Guns

Kiprajak is the way to go on this for sure, it has the government support and authority and no doubt well connected to the Thai Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service.

Remember that any blood collected in Udon for this project might ened up in Pattaya or Phuket in an emergency situation as well.

I have assisted in some small projects there and they are an extremely professionaly unit.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 18, 2008, 3:31 pm

Thanks for that, I am assured that Udon does in fact have a blood bank which it will fill first then supply if required, it is hoped however that if this project goeas ahead and is succesful, the Governor of Udon will roll it out to all the other govoners to implement in thier own provinces especilly those with a lot of farang residents.
it is a fact that with the population in Thailand becoming diverse that different needs are now required than was at first envisaged, as with all things chnage of anyhting in this case population brings greater demands on governments ability to deal with problems, such as health, we in the west do not notice it so much as our ethnic mix is already complex, but in a developing country, if not given a kick the situation does not improve. We are trying to give a gentle kick to health provision for an increasing ethnic mix.
Guns

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 18, 2008, 3:40 pm

Just remember that once the blood has expired it is not wasted, many componets are removed and used for by-products.

Ie factor 8 for haemaphiliacs, is still able to be sourced.

1 thing we as residents here in Udon can do is a monthly donation irrespective of our grouping etc.

If we did it on a specific day, the local media might run with a small story to promote the good things us expats do here in the udon community.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 19, 2008, 6:49 am

As I said watch this space, i have supplied the british Blood donar rules to the Thai authorities, they feel they re comparable with theirs.
As with all things strict guidlines will be followed especially for the health of the donor.
There will be a programme on Udon's Home Cable about this, my friend has areed to host it, I am busy compiling the info for him to use.

No matter what we will get TV coverage and local news coverage and I am intending to use another of my friends to ensure it gets into the national english speaking media.
This will all take time and i ask for your patience, otherwise it will be like a firework in a wet blanket, one fizz and then it is out, I am trying to ensure that after us all, it is still there for the future as well as the now. Ok chaps.
Guns

pezi

Post by pezi » July 19, 2008, 11:57 am

guns du wirst in die geschichte udons eingehen.gruss pezi
ich kann leider nur deutsch.verfolge aber die se sache sehr ernst.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 19, 2008, 3:32 pm

Und ??????????????
Guns

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 28, 2008, 9:01 am

Just seen the Weekly news on home cable, the piece they di about BLOOD, it was quite an eyeopener, my friend has done us proud, and has certainly highlighted the probelms here in Thailand.
I will speak to the office of the provincial medical officer, it seems that they have an handle on this , it seems that some Thias also have a problem if they are negative as well.
I hope and so does my friend that this will be sorted out to benifit us all, I did work in a small part in the investigation into the problems .
we waited as I said with bated breath, but as we all know everything moves slowly in Thailand, but this requires a touch more speed I think.
You can all be sure i will not let the matter rest, until we have a coherrent policy here in Udon. :D :D :D
Guns

pezi

Post by pezi » August 18, 2008, 3:33 pm

giebt it which new from blood bank to report.gruss pezi

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 18, 2008, 9:04 pm

Ok the mattere is now with the office of the medical officer for Udon Thani province, now it is a question of wait and see.
I do make weekly enquires and also stress the need for some movement but to date we play a waiting game.
I also sent the nation Editor a full update but due to their Thai reply ( like none0 i do not even know if they consider it worth a news item at all, let alone deciidng to investigate it.
As promised I will keep up with it and I want a positive response soon or we all need to write to all the newspapers we can to get a national response.
Guns

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 18, 2008, 9:37 pm

Guns

Im sure there are many here in Udon and Thailand that appreciate your hard and some times frustrating work on this project. Thai time can be a killer and you havent dropped the ball.

Keep up the good work and we will see some proactive clinical practices soon, which can only help all of those who need this valuable product.

Blood Donor awareness is needed all the time.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 19, 2008, 9:19 am

Thanks much appreciated.
Guns

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 19, 2008, 9:54 am

Guns482 wrote:Ok the mattere is now with the office of the medical officer for Udon Thani province, now it is a question of wait and see.
I do make weekly enquires and also stress the need for some movement but to date we play a waiting game.
I also sent the nation Editor a full update but due to their Thai reply ( like none0 i do not even know if they consider it worth a news item at all, let alone deciidng to investigate it.
As promised I will keep up with it and I want a positive response soon or we all need to write to all the newspapers we can to get a national response.
Guns ,if you sent it to ''opinions'',they will publish it!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 20, 2008, 9:39 am

Thanks for that, I may just do that, wait until end of this month and then maybe more action will be required to create some impetus 8)
Guns

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Blood Donor Register

Post by Khun Paul » October 11, 2008, 4:04 pm

Ok update and the waiting has not been invain, so I will try to be brief.
At a rotarian meeting the other day the head of the Udon Blood bank attended and briefed us all.
The fact that I raised the matter with AEK has gone beyond them and is now in the hands of the Provincial Medial Officer Udon Thani province.

The brief facts are this.
1. Thai's as a whole do not regularly donate blood, whyY Because the system is not set up for that to occur, they have a very small number of donations on a regular basis.
2. The number of Rhesus Negative blood donors is pitiful
3. They want me to assist them to set up a register.thgat is no problem I will assist them willingly.
4. I also suggested that we utilise all the 8 Roatry clubs in the proximity tof Udon Thani to also be contacted to encourage giving on a regular 3 month or 4 month basis
5. I also said that not only will the foreign population be contacted by any means possible that they will also be asked to donate on a regular basis as well. NOW I know I went out on a limb here chaps, but I do feel that we could and should do this.

The Thai director said would could do that or as when we wanted blood none may be available. we could as an option give blood just before our operation in order to ensure supply for ourselves.

My polite comments were, We give blood as a matter of course, we care not who it is for but that it our gift to Udon as we wish to live here and reside here we should partake in anything that can help the community.

My Impolite thoughts were, What utter C***, I do not know when I need it so that attitude is stupid.

I urged them all, The Drector and his team to be more proactive in seeking donations on a regular basis and we have a figure in mind of some 200,000 per year including farangs in order to ensure a constant supply of blood for all eventualites.

I ask that you all when asked , to attend Udon General Hopsital Blood bank to register and also to give some of your precious life giving blood in order to start this particular ball rolling.

There are questions that need to answered such as , medication, diabetes, other reasons why you cannot give blood, but when you atend can we at least try not to imbibe loads of alcohol the day before you donate.

AS SOON AS I HAVE THE SYSTEM IN PLACE, I will let you all know by this means and also on my weekly news programme as well as trying to get the local radio involved.

It is a fact that two days ago, if there was a need for AB negative blood urgently, the recipient would die as none was available in Issan NOT just Udon.

SO WE SEE THAT OUR GIFT TO ALL IS REQUIRED AND I URGE YOU ALL, IF YOU CAN, GIVE WHEN YOU SHOULD ON A REGULAR BASIS. SAVING LIFE IS VERY ALTRUISTIC AND DAMM IT ! YOU FEEL GOOD AFTERWARDS AS WELL.

Thanking all for your support in advance, lets make this work. :D :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 12, 2008, 1:47 pm

Im more than happy to attend every 3 months to supply a donation,

Make sure when the donor attends for the first time, that they get a card confirming their blood group, that will then assist in the data base.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

Ok latest update on this subject,
I did go to Udon hospital, the Blood bank is in Building 10 easily accesible from the smaller entrance where a policeman sits on the road, wlak up the main path at the first cross section turn right its there on the left.

the blood bank is after entering the double dorrs turn left and walk throguh a glass door open form about 0900 to about 1900 or thereabouts.
I did visit, they are clean polite and helpful, you do get a Blood ID card and a small badge .whoopee.
if you know your blood group that does help them if not do not worry.

They asked me to compile the questionaire for foreigners as their is in Thai and their transalation sucks anyway, so I have, I got it from the national Blood service web site in England and I am sure most of you will not object to the questions.

Blood Donation Questionaire
Surname: …………………..
Q 1 Are you aged between 17 and 66…………………………………………………………………Yes / No
Q 2 Are you aged between 66 and 70 nad have given blood before .……………….. Yes / No
Q 3 Have you given blood in the last 16 weeks…………………………………………………..Yes / No
Q 4 have you a chesty cough, sore throat or active cold sore……………………………….Yes / No
Q 5 Are you pregnant or a woman with a baby less than 9 months old ……………..Yes / No
Q6 Are you taking Antibiotics now or have you taken them in the last 7 days. …….Yes / No
Q7 have you had Hepatitis or Jaundice in the last 12 months. ……………………………Yes / No
Q8, Have you had, Acupuncture, Ear or Body piercing, Tattoos,
Semi permanent Body make up, in the last 6 months……………………………..……..Yes / No
Q9 Has any member of your immediate family suffered from CJD ……………………..Yes / No
Q10 Are you HIV positive or do you think you may be. …………………………………………Yes / No
Q11, Are you a carrier of Hepatitis B or C, or think you may have Hepatitis. ………..Yes / No
Q 12 Men, have you ever had anal intercourse with another man
( even if you used a condom)…………………………………………………………………….Yes / No
Q12 Have you ever received payment for sex with money or drugs……………………….Yes / No
Q14, Have you ever ( even if it was a long time ago) injected yourself with drugs …….Yes / No
Q 15 Have you had sex with anyone who is or maybe, a person who is
HIV positive or a carrier of Hepatitis B or C……………………………………………………Yes / No
Q 16 Have you had sex in the last 12 months with a man who has had oral or
anal sex with another man………………………………………………………………………………Yes / No
Q17 Have you had sex in the last 12 months with someone who has received
payment for sex by money or drugs or someone who has injected drugs
including body building drugs. ………………………………………………………………………..Yes / No

Q18 Have you had a serious illness or major surgery in the past. …………………………Yes / No
If the answer is YES , we will need to talk to you before saying : You are unable to donate blood .
Q19 Have you had complicated dental work ( simple fillings ok after 24 hrs,
Extractions ok after 7 days )……………………………………………………………………………Yes / No
Q20 Have you been in contact with infectious diseases or had certain
immunisations in the last 8 weeks. ……………………………………………………..………..Yes / No
If the answer is Yes, we need to talk to you to see if you could still donate blood.
Q21 Are you on a hospital waiting list or undergoing any medication……………………Yes / No
We will need to speak to you if you answer Yes, we still may be able to accept your donation.
Q22 Have you ever suffered from malaria or unexpected fever……………………………Yes / No
Q23, Have you ever visited Central or South America for a period of
4 weeks or more……………………………………………………………………………………………..Yes/ No

Signature of Donor………………………………………………………………….
Date: ……………………/………………………………/20…….
Thank-you for taking the time to complete the questionnaire, it is our aim to ensure not only are you healthy enough to donate blood, but the recipient will also not suffer from any blood transmitted illnesses.
Should after donating your blood our laboratory finds anything about your donation that shows us you could be infected or suffering from an illness. We will of course contact you personally as soon as possible and arrange for you to speak to one of our doctors in person.

IF THE ANSWER TO QUESTION 2 IS NO, PLSE SPEAK TO THEM i AM SURE THEY WILL ALLOW TO GIVE BLOOD.

When I went I gave my first recorded donation, so when the questionaire has benn adopted by them I will let you all know and for the first week i think i will be at the hospital in the mornings to make you all feel wlecome, a reconisible face does make you feel less unsure I always feel.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 26, 2008, 5:13 pm

Information passed to me for posting:

Udon Hospital Blood Bank in Building 10, is now ready to accept Foreign Blood Donors, this is part of the new system to encourage Foreigners to give blood especially those who are Rhesus Negative.

Please attend between 0900 and 1500, there will then be a person able to speak English.

The questions to answer are in English and have been vetted by not only me but also the head of the Blood bank.

Details required like Name address and telephone numbers . This will make it possible for them to contact donors in an emergency.

it is requested that a 3 monthly interval between donations is desirable

if someone do not know their Blood group please donate anyway they will advise you .

I have stressed that we do this to help not only ourselves but also to encourage Thais to donate more frequently as well.

URGENT THEY ARE AT THE MOMENT SEEKING O NEGATIVE BLOOD DONORS AS THEY REQUIRE BLOOD IN ORDER TO CARRY OUT LIFE-SAVING OPERATIONS, SO THAT IS NEEDED NOW.

malc123
udonmap.com

Blood Donor Register

Post by malc123 » May 14, 2013, 12:35 pm

I know that this is a old thread, have a friend in Hospital in Udon today who need a pint of blood group A. They were able to find some, so wondered if the register was still working and getting Donors.

malc123

Return to “Notice Board”