What would YOU have done?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Paul
udonmap.com

What would YOU have done?

Post by Paul » December 13, 2009, 10:30 am

The scene:

Udon airport restaurant on the 2nd floor.
About 6 tables occupied by customers, including me

A foursome of farangs walk in - 3 girls 1 boy - all about early 20's, rucksacks and guidebooks in hand.(They were possibly European)

They occupy a table almost in the centre of the restaurant and one of the girls does the following:

She removed her shoes and then plonked her bare foot smack in the middle of the dining table - almost as if a centrepiece for the table, (in lieu of a vase of flowers perhaps).

I couldn't believe what I was seeing and that none of her group expressed surprise.
She continued to chat away, with her bare foot sat right on the middle of the dining table

The whispers amongst the Thai customers could be heard all around and me, I just kept looking in disbelief.
I looked so many times she must have though I had a crush on her or something but didn't take the hint that I was amazed at her callousness.

Should I have told her politely it was a huge 'no-no' in Thailand (or even anywhere else for that matter)?

I took the Thai stance and decided it wasn't my business

What would you have done?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: What would YOU have done?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 13, 2009, 10:38 am

Just like you, I would have done nothing; however I would not even have stared at her and her companions.

If the Thais were talking about her behaviour nearby, I would probably make some joke in Thai about ignorant farangs...something like 'phuying farang mai dai khwaam chai mai'.
Last edited by Laan Yaa Mo on December 13, 2009, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 13, 2009, 10:39 am

I'll bet they DID'NT Smell like flowers........I am afraid I would have gone to their table,told her it was a No-No Then Screeched at her " Get Your FU*individual Feet on the floor,where THEY Belong [-X [-X [-X

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 13, 2009, 10:48 am

Usually a good idea to do a little research on local customs before traveling, then again they might have just been rude people and will probably learn the hard way.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 13, 2009, 10:50 am

One of two things depending on how I perceived the situation and the attitude of the youngsters.

Either ignored it completely as none of my business,recognizing their youth and the regular indiscretions of youth generally speaking everywhere,
or,
I might of wandered over ,striking up a friendly conversation and at some point,again depending on my perception of them,mentioned that many Thais might see there actions as socially offensive in their country,making it clear that I am not their judge and am just mentioning in case they were interested and/or unaware!

One of the things I see constantly at the airports,is the falang,squeezing,hugging and kissing his Thai lady.I would never think it was my part to say anything to them!

I think Thais need to deal and accept others culture also and if they don't like others cultural behaviors,they need to do something about it,themselves.We might even say we are being''Thai'' by not interfering :lol:

It doesn't offend me and I don't see it as my function to worry about the Thais ,around them ,thoughts or perception.This is my attitude in general everywhere!But,especially so in an airport full of transits!

I have my little dog with me at times,and see some mixed reactions by both Thais and falangs about her in public.I concern myself not about what they are thinking about our actions,only the concerns of the establishment management wishes!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2009, 10:51 am

I am closer to jumbo's thinking than to Paul or Tilo.

I would probably have inquired whether she would do that in a restaurant in her own country, and if so, what reaction she would expect.

But then again, perhaps that is the job of restaurant management, followed up by airport security - which certainly would have been the case in her home country.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 13, 2009, 11:02 am

Yep 747's actions for me, I'm not backward in coming forward and have been known do it in the past eg. Ignorant Farang in a bar with mixed patrons, male female and Thais soon got my message and put his shirt on.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 13, 2009, 11:28 am

I was in this sort of situation several times. I just walked over and very delicately and politely let them know that they may not be aware of it, but they are offending all the Thais around them. They corrected their behavior immediately :oops: and thanked me for letting them know. The Thais in the room would smile and give me a nod like "Thank you!". =D>

Lip-loi.

Cheers!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 13, 2009, 11:32 am

I agree with the attitude, speaking to them would have had the desired effect, plus saying if you have a Guide Book read it, mos contain the Thai customs that really upset Thais.
Saying nothing does nbot work for me, but then thats me, others might take a non-confrontational view but as there were three girls and one boy, proably ignorant of customs as opposed to being ignorant per se.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 13, 2009, 2:16 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:I was in this sort of situation several times. I just walked over and very delicately and politely let them know that they may not be aware of it, but they are offending all the Thais around them. They corrected their behavior immediately :oops: and thanked me for letting them know. The Thais in the room would smile and give me a nod like "Thank you!". =D>

Lip-loi.

Cheers!
I like this manner of speaking to them versus some of the other posters remarks ,that sound like ''telling'' ,embarrassing and lecturing,which few people respond well too! :roll:

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » December 13, 2009, 2:20 pm

Another good example of not what one says, but how one says it.

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » December 13, 2009, 2:53 pm

putting ones bare foot on the table in any public place anywhere is disgusting.

what would i have done? felt disguted but nothing more...

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » December 13, 2009, 10:05 pm

I would have done nothing. It's not my job to police rude people. If it were, it would be a full-time job; and I came here to retire not work.

Besides, I don't have a work permit. :lol:

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 14, 2009, 2:03 am

Moral crusaders make me laugh.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 14, 2009, 2:30 am

in my culture it is a no no to put your feet on the table, sit on a table, put toilet paper on a table, sit on a pillow, touch a persons head, put someone elses hat on, etc etc..tables are for eating on,( working on ) food is sacred..I didnt learn these customs without my old grandmother telling me when I did wrong, even in front of other people..Indeed that is the job of our elders, to pass on our customs so they never die..

it is difficult for a thai to tell a farang stranger to get their feet off the table because it is a custom, but we as farang should step up to the plate, and quietly remind our fellow farang of the local custom..in doing so you have honored the thai custom, and should feel good about that..it is then up to the stranger if he wants to comply..

I remember decades ago I was in a noodle shop in eastern Malaya. It was full of muslim men sitting around the tables. I forget what I was eating but I was using my hands..all of a sudden the whole room was watching me for some reason, some disgruntled..a farang just happened to come in the door, ordered and then came over and said to me, you are offending these guys by eating with your wrong hand..that hand you wipe your arse with, this one you eat with..ohh geez thanks mate..

people want know or learn about thai culture unless you have a word...if they ignore you after you had spoken to them, thats there karma.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 14, 2009, 2:56 am

If it were a Thai person doing the objectionable behavior would you, likewise, trip over your dick to let them know they are being offensive?

In Thailand it's customary to mind your own business.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 14, 2009, 4:15 am

Texpat wrote:If it were a Thai person doing the objectionable behavior would you, likewise, trip over your dick to let them know they are being offensive?

=D> =D> Of course not,there are the excuses:it is their country,it's contrary to their non-confronting culture and we are just a guest!

The judgmental falangs just find another falang to complain about the Thai ''moron''! :lol: :lol:

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 14, 2009, 7:09 am

Texpat wrote:If it were a Thai person doing the objectionable behavior would you, likewise, trip over your dick to let them know they are being offensive?

That would have to be the most naive dribble I have read on this site for some time. What bucket of sand have you got your head buried in?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 14, 2009, 7:32 am

Unbelievable behaviour really, isn’t it? One wonders which distant planet this girl comes from. IMO, it would be uncouth behaviour in one’s own house, never mind an airport restaurant.
Whilst appreciating there are occasions when it’s best to mind one’s own business, I doubt I could have resisted saying something in this situation, particularly if the Thai restaurant staff felt unable to do so because it’s ‘their way’. I’m not shy in pointing out inconsiderate behaviour to both farang and Thai, hopefully with a smile and attempted humour. If someone’s nearly caused a road accident, my reaction may be somewhat less controlled.

I rather like the quiet ‘word in the ear’ approach here. Hopefully the girl would take it on board. If not, that’s her problem. There is, of course, an element in society which believes it’s necessary to make some kind of statement by behaving exactly as they want to, irrespective of the accepted (local) social norm.

This restaurant example even surpasses two incidents on the beautiful Bang Tao beach, Phuket. The eastern- European/Russian-looking guy who, in spite of being surrounded by people on sunloungers and many people in the water was driving golf balls non-stop into the sea.(a very full carrier bag of what appeared brand new balls awaited). Then, further up the beach, on a more remote section, the man who’d chosen to sunbathe nude. So he covered up as people came along BUT he was nearly resting his head on a small Buddhist shrine set up on the beach.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 14, 2009, 1:24 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:

That would have to be the most naive dribble I have read on this site for some time. What bucket of sand have you got your head buried in?

I notice you didn't answer the question.

If a Thai person had her bare feet on a table in the Food Court, would you approach and lecture as many seem ready to for a farang? I don't see the difference. Is the behavior objectionable because it's a farang? No. Clearly these noble etiquette police feel a need to protect Thai customs and shield the poor, helpless women and children from such rogue behavior -- but only when perpetrated by farangs. Fookin' bizarre.

Do you feel some sort of responsibility for the behavior of a farang stranger -- one you don't share for a Thai stranger?

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”