Cameron vs. Obama

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by BobHelm » June 1, 2012, 9:04 pm

The spend out of recession (i.e. increase debt for future generations to worry about) would not exactly seem to be going as an unqualified success either..
Weak US jobs figures for May hit markets
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18297143
There are five million fewer jobs in the US than there were when the recession began.
The number of people who had been unemployed for more than 27 weeks, who are classified as long-term unemployed, rose to 5.4 million in May from 5.1 million in April.

They account for 42.8% of the unemployed.
However the spend policy would appear to be buying some relief, if all else is equal...
The jobless rate increased to 8.2% from 8.1% in April, the Labor Department said.
New unemployment figures showed that the jobless rate in eurozone was 11% in April, unchanged from March, but still the highest since records began in 1995
If my calculations are correct then the figures imply that the spend v slash policy is saving the USA some 4.3 million unemployed.
I am not sure what the debt creation difference would be if the USA was following a frugal policy instead of spending. However dividing that by 4.3 million gives the answer as to if the policy is giving 'value for money'...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by BobHelm » June 1, 2012, 9:30 pm

Oops, that is the Eurozone unemployment rate in the article..
This thread is headed Cameron vs. Obama, so I guess it is only fair to compare the USA rate of unemployment (8.2%) with the UK unemployment rate (8.2%).
http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/expl ... nt+rate+uk

No difference in unemployment...... :shock:

parrot
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by parrot » December 20, 2012, 8:42 pm

There's an interesting piece (for those comparing austerity programs with stimulus programs) in the NYT at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

It's a bit of a long read, so prepare your coffee ahead of time.

parrot
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by parrot » December 20, 2013, 3:03 pm

More follow-up on the pro-austerity vs. spend mindset from Paul Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/opini ... ef=opinion
It's probably still too early to tell which side will be right......but in another year or two, I'd like to think the differences will stand out.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by JimboPSM » December 20, 2013, 4:02 pm

parrot wrote:More follow-up on the pro-austerity vs. spend mindset from Paul Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/opini ... ef=opinion
It's probably still too early to tell which side will be right......but in another year or two, I'd like to think the differences will stand out.
In that article Paul Krugman is being rather unfair to George Osborne, the UK Chancellor was pretty even handed with his budget cuts, he cut benefits for the poor and cut the top tax rate for the wealthy ](*,)
While a search of the forum will reveal that I was in favour of austerity, the form of austerity actually implemented by Osborne and Cameron was pretty poor and boneheaded.

The use of blinkered (and failed) ideology resulted in them failing to boost the economy through the tried and tested use of economic inputs that would have maximised the economic multiplier impact and consequently would have increased the rate of GDP growth :(
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

parrot
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by parrot » July 21, 2015, 12:35 am

This is an update on the state of the euro....as seen (again) by Paul Krugman. It doesn't quite fit in with the title of the thread......but does touch on austerity versus spend economics. In any case, I find the whole concept of the EU as well as the fractured use of the Euro interested reading.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/20/op ... ?referrer=

glalt
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by glalt » July 21, 2015, 1:01 pm

I'd be willing to wager that no self respecting Brit would be willing to swap Cameron for Obama.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2015, 1:26 pm

glalt wrote:I'd be willing to wager that no self respecting Brit would be willing to swap Cameron for Obama.
Hmmm!............. from September last year:
On the measure of overall job approval, two-thirds of the British public continue to say Barack Obama is doing well, while just a fifth say he isn’t. His net approval rating of +49 is actually down slightly from +56 in June of this year and +64 at the time of his re-election in 2012, but it remains sky-high compared to UK leaders like David Cameron (-12) or Barack Obama’s own approval rating back home in America (also -12 in the latest YouGov USA poll).
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/05/ba ... ge-w-bush/

:-k

GT93
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by GT93 » July 21, 2015, 2:29 pm

glalt wrote:I'd be willing to wager that no self respecting Brit would be willing to swap Cameron for Obama.
What's the fallback position? There are a lot Brits who aren't self-respecting? :( Perhaps they're too silly to know that Obama wasn't really born in the US? :D

It's nothing to do with me but it's widely known that that frequently doesn't stop me - I suspect quite a few Aussies would like to trade you Abbott for Obama. They'd probably happily throw in a few sweeteners as well - e.g. give Tasmania to the US. Apologies to wazza.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

old timer
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by old timer » July 21, 2015, 6:12 pm

OT's just had a shower and changed his pants and socks, clothes on and a bit of pacco rubane splashed across his chops ready to go out tonight, and now waiting for the soon to be ex Mrs OT to get ready and finish whatever she is doing.
So rather than waste time waiting for her OT's clicked onto UM and come across this nonsense, reason being that Cameron wins, and OT means double wins the subject matter hands down.
And reason being for that is because a friend of mine is a friend of Jeremy Clarkson who, as he hs said many times in the Sun newspaper " anyone that wants to go to work, have a family, own your own house" Cameron is your Man, agreed.
However if you prefer the social handouts and living in the projects vote Obama.

OT....................... \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2015, 6:39 pm

old timer wrote: And reason being for that is because a friend of mine is a friend of Jeremy Clarkson ............
That is a very brave confession OT ........ right up there with those who came out of the closet in the 60s. =D>

A report from earlier today:
It seems Jeremy Clarkson just can't help himself.

The former Top Gear presenter has found himself mired in more controversy after posting a homophobic tweet while visiting the Margaret River Fudge Factory...........

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... igqma.html

old timer
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by old timer » July 21, 2015, 6:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
old timer wrote: And reason being for that is because a friend of mine is a friend of Jeremy Clarkson ............
That is a very brave confession OT ........ right up there with those who came out of the closet in the 60s. =D>

A report from earlier today:
It seems Jeremy Clarkson just can't help himself.

The former Top Gear presenter has found himself mired in more controversy after posting a homophobic tweet while visiting the Margaret River Fudge Factory...........

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... igqma.html
tut

OT.......... \:D/

glalt
udonmap.com

Cameron vs. Obama

Post by glalt » July 22, 2015, 12:19 pm

I get sick of the politically correct A-Holes. He cracks a non PC joke and every one jumps on him. Freedom of speech has been kicked to the curb. I found his statement amusing.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”