Overt Racism in Thailand?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 20, 2014, 11:06 am

The weekend before last I was visiting with family who live and work in Chonburi.

On the Sunday it was decided to visit and picnic on the beach in typical Thai style. The chosen venue was a military base which had a publicly accessible beach, about 25km south of Pattaya - from google maps, it looks like Chumphon. The bulk of the Thai family traveled in their pickup, and I took my sedan, with a number of locals, including my Thai wife.

As background, we had visited the same place a couple of months previously, but had been turned away because they were conducting "exercises", and while Thais could still enter, it was closed to farangs at that time.

This time, we entered without any problem, and took up our spot on the beach, with chairs, mats, food, drink etc etc. After about 30 minutes, I stripped off to my bathers (boxer style), and took several of the kids into the water, where we stayed for about 20 minutes. When I got back to the picnic spot, I hung my T-shirt and wet towel over a nearby rope conveniently strung between 2 trees, and relaxed into my deck chair.

Some 30 minutes later, a couple of uniformed personnel (I guess MPs) came over to our group and said I needed to put on my T-shirt, and remove the towel. Putting it down to local quirkiness, I complied without discussion.

20 or so minutes later, the same 2 came back, walked past checking that I was suitably covered up, and then 10 metres later walked past a Thai bloke who was topless - not a word said. I naturally noted that. :-k

Move on about an hour, after we had mainly finished eating, and here they come again - this time with the message that their "boss" had instructed them to tell us to leave, as "he didn't want any farangs on the beach", and "it was for Thais only". This naturally sparked some animated conversation, but very little action by the family after the MPs departed.

However, they returned a further 45 minutes later, with a different guy, who I assumed was a little more senior, although not the "boss". They were clearly embarrassed, but non-the-less, we had to pack up and leave. This time they got a earful of quite heated chat from the group, including being told their boss was a racist, and it was no wonder Thailand was in the ----. They left, and it seemed that passive resistance was about to become the order of the day, as my group did nothing for about 15 minutes.

At this stage, I decided that it was best that we did leave, as the MPs could only cause trouble for me if they wanted to persist. The family were not happy, but agreed, and leave we did.

While it was not a pleasant feeling, the incident did not particularly concern me. What it did cause me to do, however, was think about the feelings and difficulties for people who experience racism in their life every day - and certainly of a more forceful variety than I experienced. [-X

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 20, 2014, 11:30 am

I assume you are referring to the Sattahip naval base, there is a nice, reasonably secluded beach there with facilities. When working at the Chevron Supply base, which is/was located within the naval base, we Farang and a few Thais had our lunches down there most days.

There was most always restricted access to the base, to which we had passes, and I'm wondering if their reaction was based on security rather than racism? The Farang is just not supposed to be there!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 20, 2014, 11:34 am

Nope - not the Sattahip one Dero - that is where we went when refused the first time. Had no problems there.

This one is some kilometres north of Sattahip.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 20, 2014, 12:11 pm

well were they police, or MP's ? because if they were MP's then there would be a military reason for their actions, ( Russians spying on their base etc etc ) and you must have been in thier zone..I seems it was Orders of some sort..I would have pushed it until I got to the nexus of the problem, which I am sure was more than just being a farang...but I am only guessing..maybe it was the sight of that spare tyre hanging over your stubbies that offended them..hahaha

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 20, 2014, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the post Jack , never heard of an expat being told to leave any beach anywhere in Thailand before . Well done for remaining calm and leaving it for your family to vent their disaproval . I have seen young Ruskie lasses in Jomtien told to cover up as they were topless , hardly the same .

I know in Bangkok there are some Taxis refusing to carry Farangs and of course we all know there are many dual pricing issues throughout the kingdom and these are taken with a pinch of salt really ...but your experience is a new one .

BTW on a lighter note i was once swimming naked in the sea in Sattahip and was told to stop quickly ... i thought i was out of the bathers area but it turned out there was a Japanese Harpooning ship nearby :lol: :lol: .

Hey just had a thought Jack , i know your a big fella ...maybe the tide wanted to come in ..onnee kiddin mate

I prefer boxers at the beach as well Jack

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 20, 2014, 12:26 pm

Never had a discrimination problem in any GoGo bar in Thailand. Except when I ran out of cash.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 20, 2014, 1:02 pm

With the double pricing.
Entry fees for National Parks, Museums, inflated for foreigners on the premise of having a white skin and a perception whitey is rich and can afford it, and endorsed by the Tourist Authority of Thailand.

Menus in racist eateries printed in English, with inflated prices for us. Watch their face drop if you go in with your wife and she gets the Thai menu without the double prices. Very common throughout Thailand.

I would guess someone made a complaint that Jack a white bloke was on "their" beach. To most Thai's although they won't admit it, we are filthy smelly animals, uncouth and uncivilized, they only really want to know us if there is money or face in it for them always at your expense.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » May 20, 2014, 1:06 pm

Prenders88 wrote:With the double pricing.
Entry fees for National Parks, Museums, inflated for foreigners on the premise of having a white skin and a perception whitey is rich and can afford it, and endorsed by the Tourist Authority of Thailand.

Menus in racist eateries printed in English, with inflated prices for us. Watch their face drop if you go in with your wife and she gets the Thai menu without the double prices. Very common throughout Thailand.

I would guess someone made a complaint that Jack a white bloke was on "their" beach. To most Thai's although they won't admit it, we are filthy smelly animals, uncouth and uncivilized, they only really want to know us if there is money or face in it for them always at your expense.
I think you are mostly correct, certainly the hiso types feel that way about us but I think the Issan people will usually give us a chance, at least I have been treated very well by most Issan people.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

Which resturants in Udon Thani are you talking about? I haven't seen this in 14 years living here.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 20, 2014, 1:20 pm

I never mentioned any "resturants" in Udon Thani.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 20, 2014, 1:25 pm

You said it was comman throughout Thailand so I just took it for granted Udon Thani was included in this practise. So Udon is the exception? Or is it just possible, a few places that you have visited?

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 26, 2014, 5:18 pm

Prenders88 wrote:I never mentioned any "resturants" in Udon Thani.
Any in Bangkok?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 26, 2014, 5:34 pm

Udon Map wrote:
Any in Bangkok?
No disrespect Udonmap but Tony (RIP) is not going to respond to your question anytime soon but in all my time here have never seen any in Udon,is this more to do with tourist places.ie patts,phuket,samui :-k racism part when went to samui a few years ago the menu was in thai and russian no English :shock:

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 26, 2014, 6:08 pm

There's a small Thai Resturant and Bar out in Na-Dee owned by a Frenchman and his Thai wife. The menu is in Thai and French, no English. Racism in Na-Dee?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 26, 2014, 6:13 pm

The restaurant was an international one MS not a Russian one,those early days down there when the ruskies money and influence was showing its ugly head,the lasses tho were stunners :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

Whilst residing in Patts a fair stretch i always found the Rusky lasses on Jomtien beach to be very tasty - stunners ..... where as the Eastern block ones trolling about on the batter in Walking street were rather scraggy boney gaunt looking specimens ...then theres the shot putters !!,,, my fav.

Back on topic ..... i love menus with pictures ...helps us thickos

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 27, 2014, 5:39 am

Udon Map wrote:
Any in Bangkok?
pomps wrote:No disrespect Udonmap but Tony (RIP) is not going to respond to your question anytime soon ....
Yes, of course. I didn't look at who had made that post.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 27, 2014, 6:10 am

Are we really talking about Racism or Discrimination, both often go hand in hand, but in the main it is Discrimination that is more apparant here rather than racism.
We are discriminated against just because we are NOT THAI, in pricing for some things, in access in many ways ownership and the lack of credit based purchases, often in some schools discrimination rears its head when certain bloodlines are not allowed to compete in some competitions.
Both Racism and Discrimination are against the law here in Thailand, the Thais are racist and very DFiscriminatory, but they will never admit it as they are taught that Thai is best and will always be that way until education changes as should their culture, a long way to go I am afraid.
While living here can be upsetting in racist and discriminatory way, when you know and understand what they are like you do not put yourself into a situation that then puts you at a disadvantage, due to your colour or race.
I think that AEC coming into play in the nest 12 months will show Thailand that attitudes will have to change or they will be called the pariah of ASEAN and that will hurt them in many ways.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 27, 2014, 8:25 am

ignorance = racism, discrimination. Education and open minds are the answer, not a lot of either in Thailand yet.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » July 28, 2014, 7:13 am

A little racism and discrimination in everyone's life is a good thing if for no other reason than to impress upon everyone how disgusting it is for anyone to have to endure it.
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”