Freedom of speech.

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
noosard
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by noosard » February 18, 2015, 6:47 pm

Agree with you there Bumper
Problem is we have not got one the others have
They don't want you to follow the radish
They insist you become a jellybean and watch the colours as they have different rules
which may apply

ronan01
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by ronan01 » February 18, 2015, 6:53 pm

noosard wrote:Agree with you there Bumper
Problem is we have not got one the others have
They don't want you to follow the radish
They insist you become a jellybean and watch the colours as they have different rules
which may apply
You must follow the gourd (Life of Brian S4 V2)

noosard
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by noosard » February 18, 2015, 6:56 pm

Now that is a good movie

ronan01
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by ronan01 » February 18, 2015, 7:10 pm

ronan01 wrote:
mathusalah80 wrote:Ronan,
You might enjoy reading, (sorry about that Statto), "Talk to the Hand"....The utter bloody rudeness of everyday life.. by Lynne Truss. You could then follow up with her equally (in)famous "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"
"Eats, Shoots & Leaves" is what wombats and politically incorrect aussie males do
Correction: the politically incorrect aussie male eats, roots, shoots and leaves

bumper
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bumper » February 19, 2015, 6:27 pm

Interesting that this be on here now. Today CNN showed a group of football fans on a subway car s white would be their flavor. Black guy tries to get on they shove him off three times. Say yes we are racist and that is the way we like it.

Of course the public is all for chasing these fans down and banning them for life. This is where it goes wrong to me. Not for shoving the guy Around. Bit, for what they said.

Now a radish guy sees it this way. Find the jerk that put his hands on the guy arrest him for criminal battery and prosecute him for the crime.

The speech offensive,I'm sure to some. But, certainly as protected as any other.

There in lies the problem, you have be willing to let the other fella talk. You don't have to agree with him. However he should be able to talk. It really has been well defined for years. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. Why people could stampede and it does happen, so there are limits.

Here I know some things are not talked about and I don't have problem with that. I choose to accept it.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bignote1
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bignote1 » February 19, 2015, 7:04 pm

bumper wrote: There in lies the problem, you have be willing to let the other fella talk. You don't have to agree with him. However he should be able to talk. It really has been well defined for years. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. Why people could stampede and it does happen, so there are limits.
No, the problem lies with the difference within individuals. Each person has his own ideas about what's acceptable and unacceptable in speaking to others which may be completely different from the person he's talking to. Society (the law) with regard to public safety (incitement to hatred is a crime) cannot cope with each individual establishing his own acceptable speech rules so it controls what he says with laws....incitement to hatred is one. To do otherwise would invite anarchy.
"Where one man's freedom of speech ends another man's freedom of speech might begin"

bumper
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bumper » February 19, 2015, 7:13 pm

bignote1 wrote:
bumper wrote: There in lies the problem, you have be willing to let the other fella talk. You don't have to agree with him. However he should be able to talk. It really has been well defined for years. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. Why people could stampede and it does happen, so there are limits.
No, the problem lies with the difference within individuals. Each person has his own ideas about what's acceptable and unacceptable in speaking to others which may be completely different from the person he's talking to. Society (the law) with regard to public safety (incitement to hatred is a crime) cannot cope with each individual establishing his own acceptable speech rules so it controls what he says with laws....incitement to hatred is one. To do otherwise would invite anarchy.
"Where one man's freedom of speech ends another man's freedom of speech might begin"
Good thought which Country has that law.

To me there isn't a problem. mole hill to a mountain. Saying your racist OK as long a you don't act on it, no harm is done. Lets face it folks through life we will all have our feelings hurt at some time by what some other person says. Especially kids. But I like your approach.

Here is a good one retired cop called pig more time then I can think of. I could be offended but I couldn't arrest anyone for it. Now comes the fun Chinese New Year year of the Goat. I looked mine up a I had no idea what it was. The year of the PIG so all those years they had been right :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bignote1
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bignote1 » February 19, 2015, 7:38 pm

As a retired cop I thought you would have known. In the UK "Incitement to Racial Hatred" was put into the provisions of the Public Order Act of 1986 as an offence in law. In 2006 The Religious Hatred was passed which regards it as an offence in law to incite hatred against a person on the grounds of their religion.
Why wouldn't decent people (the silent majority) want hatred controlled by law. Hatred has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by marjamlew » February 19, 2015, 7:56 pm

Was going to post on the joke thread but this shoe might fit for some......
A Romanian arrives in Sydney as a new immigrant to Australia .
He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank you Mr. Australiaman, for letting me come into this country, giving me housing, Income Support, free medical care, and a free education!"
The passerby says, "You are mistaken, I am Egyptian."
The man goes on and encounters another passerby. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Australia ."
The person says, "I not Australian, I am Pakistani."
The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand, and says,
"Thank you for wonderful country Australia !"
That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Afghanistan . I am not Australian."
He finally sees a nice lady and asks,
"Are you an Australia woman?"
She says, "No, I am from Africa ."
Puzzled, he asks her,
"Where are all the Australian?"
The African lady checks her watch and says, "Probably at work."
Watch Me!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2015, 8:29 pm

marjamlew wrote:Was going to post on the joke thread but this shoe might fit for some......
He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank you Mr. Australiaman, for letting me come into this country, giving me housing, Income Support, free medical care, and a free education!"
The man goes on and encounters another passerby. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Australia ."
The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand, and says,
That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Afghanistan . I am not Australian."
Puzzled, he asks her,
Doesn't matter which thread it is on lew - bigotry and stereotyping together is never a good look. [-(

ronan01
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by ronan01 » February 19, 2015, 9:32 pm

jackspratt wrote:
marjamlew wrote:Was going to post on the joke thread but this shoe might fit for some......
Puzzled, he asks her,
Doesn't matter which thread it is on lew - bigotry and stereotyping together is never a good look. [-(
Quite so Lew, how dare you attack women, even in humour. Shame on you, go flog yourself with a limp lettuce leaf.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by Aardvark » February 20, 2015, 5:17 am

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2015, 10:07 am

And one I pretty much agree with. =D>

GT93
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by GT93 » February 20, 2015, 11:32 am

Yes, good link Aardy.

Not exactly on topic but of some relevance is the World Press Freedom Index:

http://rsf.org/index2014/en-index2014.php

The introduction states:

"The 2014 World Press Freedom Index spotlights the negative impact of conflicts on freedom of information and its protagonists. The ranking of some countries has also been affected by a tendency to interpret national security needs in an overly broad and abusive manner to the detriment of the right to inform and be informed. This trend constitutes a growing threat worldwide and is even endangering freedom of information in countries regarded as democracies."
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

noosard
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by noosard » February 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

cartooning4peace-en.gif
cartooning4peace-en.gif (21.08 KiB) Viewed 2247 times

bumper
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bumper » February 20, 2015, 12:29 pm

bignote1 wrote:As a retired cop I thought you would have known. In the UK "Incitement to Racial Hatred" was put into the provisions of the Public Order Act of 1986 as an offense in law. In 2006 The Religious Hatred was passed which regards it as an offense in law to incite hatred against a person on the grounds of their religion.
Why wouldn't decent people (the silent majority) want hatred controlled by law. Hatred has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
Retired from California each state has it's own laws. that is the reason I asked where you were from. I saw it progress in my career. Laws are always changing. What the state of the law is today I don't know, When I first started swearing around women and children was against the Law. 415 P.C. Disturbing the Peace. That was changed to language that would cause the average man to fight. Now try to define that one, :lol:

Where does one man freedom stop and the other mans begin. That had not been defined here based on the protests we have seen.

I would say these days you could stand in front of the congressional building and say America Sucks. ain't nothing going to happen to you, But it appears that we are leaning towards say something like that about certain groups and you could be defined a trying to incite a riot.

Ferguson good example, nothing happened based on what they were saying. Blocking a road way to me a different ball of wax. Looting stores we ain't talking anymore.

This will be defined eventually by case law. On a perfect world if you have the right to say something bad, then I should have it as well.

There is where my problem is with Political Correctness.

Is there truly somewhere that ha true Freedom o speech I doubt it.

bignote1
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bignote1 » February 20, 2015, 7:31 pm

bumper wrote: Where does one man freedom stop and the other mans begin. That had not been defined here based on the protests we have seen.

Is there truly somewhere that ha true Freedom o speech I doubt it.
I think freedom has been defined in the USA by Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes..... Imo a very succinct definition:-
The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.

Freedom of Speech better relates to individuals than countries.
In my own case, living in the UK; I don't feel I am denied doing anything with my life or denied saying anything I personally want to say . I don't feel there is a need to live my life or express myself in a guarded way. As a result I believe I live in a free Society.
I do accept however purveyors of ethnic and religious hatred would not agree with me.

bumper
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by bumper » February 21, 2015, 9:56 am

I think that is the idea you can say it no one has to agree with it.

I'm sure we all have prejudices of some kind as long a we don't act on them. I see no jam

The Justice good point. But, how does that work in saying something that would make the average person want to fight?

I''ve been retired a long time now, So maybe that is better defined these days

Now me I don't like what you have to say I don't have to hang out with you. The same applies to me by you.

One of the things that bothers me of late, Is my country the U.S. Stepping blindly in, in the name of Democracy. Only to the overthrow of a Government. Leaving a void, that makes it easy for extremist to thrive in with them using the Arms we supplied against us.

That thought could be very offensive to some. But, that is what I think. I will act on it when I vote. I won't go block a main road way in Bangkok and put. I won't throw rocks and bottles at cops. I won't loot businesses, I won't stop people from making a living. Or children from going to school. So offensive maybe harmful no.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by ronan01 » March 5, 2015, 3:35 pm

Views on the streets: free speech after Copenhagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIoZVdiJM0

ronan01
udonmap.com

Freedom of speech.

Post by ronan01 » March 19, 2015, 5:59 pm

I FURKAN DERYA TO FIND A BETTER NAME THAN FURKAN DERYA

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... an-dehrya/