Reigniting the Steak Wars

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » October 17, 2015, 9:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
redwolf wrote: Just thinking most of these "best steak" "best burger" posts always have an ulterior motive. That's their history at least.
As the locals say - you think too much. [-(
Har de har har, nice try JS. The locals eat bugs too (no offence to them) so their phrase "you think too much" not as compelling an assurance as one could hope for. :badteeth:

p.s. You're the one who came up with the electrifying title "Reigniting the Steak Wars", so what did you expect? \:D/

Alas there will never be a best steak, and the topic of Beef or Steak has been subjectively worn to bits for over a decade on here, and has invaded "This Week's Shopping Deal" from time to time, & made notable Incursions into the original "Chern Chim" thread of yore, etc. :D

But have at it, debate away.

Gonna go try out Drunk Monkey's recipe, double order ... 8)

RW

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 17, 2015, 10:45 pm

jackspratt wrote:It's been a while since we had a ding-dong, knock-em-out discussion on the subject of steak.

So for the doubters, and disbelievers, it is now official that the world's best steak comes from ................... Oz! \:D/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-17/a ... ge/6862644
Image[/quote]

Oh...that steak sure looks delicious. Are you sure it is not Canadian?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » October 18, 2015, 1:09 am

Colorado high country short horns nothing better not in the 40+ countries ive been in.... just saying

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 18, 2015, 6:59 am

In the US / Philly area, well, 20 yrs ago, Black Angus was the high end / quality beef available. Things have changed drastically in the grading in the US. Down to 2 choices for grading, choice or prime, and don't think their is an 'in class' grading. Beef was very cheap in US, compared to elsewhere. Since getting a bad rap, and chicken, pork, and fish getting the healthy thumbs up, along with sharp price increases. Leaving beef still a bargain, unless conned into the high end markets.

Started getting an influx of high end markets, large VM style, with same silly pricing for meats. But with the Bay (crabs), Gulf (crabs, shrimp), Maine (lobster), and Alaska (individual crab, salmon), seafood was excellent, available and inexpensive.

I rarely ate much chicken or pork (besides ribs or an occasional loin at bud's house) before coming here. Now it's a complete reversal. If I find a good rib-eye roast at Tops, rare, then I'll do steak at home, but that's only about once a month, if that.

Beef here is usually a burger (home or TJ's), or stew at home, if lazy, a meat pie at T-Bar, same thing, wrapped in a crust Slow cooked, so tender. :roll:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 18, 2015, 7:07 am

As someone pointed out any cut of beef can be very tasty it really does depend on how it is cooked. Some prefer the Australian marbled beef others like the pure meat ( no marbling ) of other countries beef.
me I have one or two places where I eat steak and I am very satisfied, To answer the question best cut, Fillet of course, but a good Rump is also delicious.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2015, 9:58 am

A tasty steak needs to have streaks of fat through it to get the beef flavor. (marbled). Looking at a steak at a market and seeing this beautiful lean piece of beef, then buying it leads to a major disappointment. It will be without flavor and tough as shoe leather. Even my pressure cooker cannot get any flavor out of it. It makes no difference what country the beef is raised in. It's how the beef is fed out and how it is aged after it is butchered. Aging beef is a high tech thing. It needs precise temperature and humidity control.

The last tasty steak I ate was from the south of Thailand. I was surprised to find out that it was raised on pineapple waste from a cannery. The pineapple scraps were mixed with some rice straw that had been sweetened with molasses. It was the precise aging that gave it the great flavor. Cooking the steak however you want has very little to do with the actual taste unless you have no idea what good steak is. I no longer use beef in my Chili. I have found that using pork makes better flavor than the lean stringy beef. You might ask how ground beef can be stringy but it is.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 18, 2015, 1:35 pm

I, too, think that it's pointless to get into what is the "best" anything. Yes, it does depend on how it's cooked; but I prefer no sauce, just the flavor of the meat.

In one respect, it doesn't matter whether or not it's the best. There is, of course, no objective standard anyway. And if you liked your steak, that's what's important. Doesn't matter to me if others have the same opinions as I do. I've had a superb wagyu steak on ANA on a miles redemption ticket in first class between Tokyo and Chicago; and I've had very mediocre steak at Morton's (http://www.mortons.com/), supposedly known for it's red meat quality. In fact, after three or four times, I found Morton's quality quite consistently mediocre; I don't go there now. Relevant to people in the U.S., I've never had a bad steak at The Capital Grille (http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/home). But I know that others feel exactly the opposite about these places. NYSteakhouse at the J.W. Marriott in Bangkok? Very good, but not at all spectacular.

What's the answer? Find one that you like and stick with it. Don't worry about what other people think or prefer.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 19, 2015, 3:38 pm

Well I just bought the last of the fresh Tasmanian Rib Eye at Tops. ( cryovac )

Not cheap, agreed but lovely on a BBQ

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 19, 2015, 4:18 pm

Was back in Sydney a month or so ago and stayed at my mates place, we had BBQ most nights and always went the old school cut, with the best steak being from the local butcher...a large portion of rare to medium point of rump was the best, plus a 6 pack of VB each. 4 or 5 of those guzzled before the steak. :D ... and always left room for the compulsory bottle of red.
Always loved a good piece of rump to chew on. :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 19, 2015, 4:35 pm

He can't have been much of a mate if he was feeding you VB. :-"

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 19, 2015, 4:41 pm

Rib eye aussie or US always tastes better after I have had a glass or two of loverly redwine,must try some rump soon,am partial to sirloin tho :D
In room dining here in Korea,a grilled US Angus ribeye 240g in my hotel would put me back 60,000 Korean Won :shock: chose leafy salad tonight,marvellous \:D/

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 19, 2015, 9:30 pm

pomps wrote:Rib eye aussie or US always tastes better after I have had a glass or two of loverly redwine,must try some rump soon,am partial to sirloin tho :D
In room dining here in Korea,a grilled US Angus ribeye 240g in my hotel would put me back 60,000 Korean Won :shock: chose leafy salad tonight,marvellous \:D/
I can devour any cut of steak so long as its pink nice n rare plenty of juice n blood ...

Pomps Kim Pui ... North or South ??? ... 60k Won ... how much is that in our native baht pomps ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » October 19, 2015, 11:13 pm

60,000 Korean Won equals 1875 THB.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 20, 2015, 6:26 am

jackspratt wrote:He can't have been much of a mate if he was feeding you VB. :-"

Ah well picked up Jackspratt, but you missed where I said we went old school. When we were growing up in cosmopolitan Sydney there were no boutique beers and VB, KB, Tooheys, DA were the standard drink. VB to us was Boutique because it came from Victoria and rump steak was the choice cut because we didn't know about all those other fancy cuts. Steak was steak and we just had, T-bone, Sirlion, Fillet and Rump.
Our survival kit when down the coast surfing in winter was a Box of beer each, a BBQ meat pack and a can of rice cream for sweets. Plus a fire to cook.

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » October 23, 2015, 10:39 am

Maybe the Aussies cheated???

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33095429

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 23, 2015, 11:05 am

tataw wrote:Maybe the Aussies cheated???

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33095429
Its not cheating if you win is it.

This story only highlights that Australia can produce a better product, and also the scam of overpricing of Wagyu beef by suppliers, middle men, and the restaurant industry for a long time. The real price has now been revealed.
Same thing happened in the wine industry when the whining frogs didn't like the fact that others, and in particular Australian growers were producing a superior grape product in a bottle and the French names of Champagne etc had to be taken of the label.
Oh sorry... that's a wine war not steal war.

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » October 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

I'm sure Barney that you can recall instances when players/teams have won by cheating!!

Still, fair play you did win. Lets hope the same cannot be said after this weekend :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 23, 2015, 4:11 pm

tataw wrote:I'm sure Barney that you can recall instances when players/teams have won by cheating!!

Still, fair play you did win. Lets hope the same cannot be said after this weekend :lol:
tawtaw,

Yes I can remember but don't have to go back to far.
There's some bloke in court at the moment for cheating at cricket of all games.

I'm sure when that's all over a nice gold medal aussie steak and a Steinlager will be consumed around the BBQ. \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 23, 2015, 4:14 pm

Bottles or Cairns Barney ?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

wazza wrote:Bottles or Cairns Barney ?
=D> good one

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”