Solar/Wind energy for the future. Forget it

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Solar/Wind energy for the future. Forget it

Post by Khun Paul » October 19, 2020, 5:26 pm

I was not in fact condeming Thailand p;er se, but noted that in the last few years NO new houses I have seen even have any SOLAR FITTED AS STANDARD to offset as I stated the P{OOR infrastructure supplying many of Thai villages etc.
But asa usual you look for an error to make a point , sad really !

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 19, 2020, 6:01 pm

No the sad thing is to continusally condem the Thai's for doing this wrong and doing that wrong If you wish to spew here do some research and say what you mean the first time.Not "persay" and how about something positive once in awhile

As for infrastructure to the east of the city new electric poles are going to the outer communities and within the city a huge upgrade is happening by the east ring road. Also while not electricity a new water main atleast 24 inch is being installed on the north road from Nong Khai. Also new highway lights have been installed on the ring road and road to Nong Khai in the past year, and new bridge works on Hwy 2

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 19, 2020, 6:17 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
October 19, 2020, 5:26 pm
I was not in fact condeming Thailand p;er se, but noted that in the last few years NO new houses I have seen even have any SOLAR FITTED AS STANDARD to offset as I stated the P{OOR infrastructure supplying many of Thai villages etc.
But asa usual you look for an error to make a point , sad really !
This is one of big hates about Australia and NZ governments not doing the right easy thing
New houses and commercial buildings should all be made to have solar panels
Not hard

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 19, 2020, 7:38 pm

Obviously I am a fan of solar power. I have three independent solar systems at the house. We have two farms using solar irrigation. My wife bought a solar powered night light. I criticized it because I was sure the solar panel was too small to charge the batteries to run the light overnight. I was wrong, it works perfectly. I bought another larger one for the driveway and it too works perfectly. At one time I worked out that a Tesla car battery would need 16 300 watt panels to charge it. That was a waste of time because the Tesla battery is not easy to change. If that battery were able to slide in and out one battery could charge while the other is in use. Some small delivery trucks have slide out batteries that are exchanged every day. They are used in cities because the range is not that great but good enough for city use.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 20, 2020, 10:11 am

Stating the case for electric vehicles, not for everybody, but for those that do not drive large distances everyday and have adequate charging points, they are an attractive option, as are hybrids.

I suspect a few posters on here are more interested in making personal comments than offering sensible comments, so here are some simple facts.

The longer the range on a single charge, the heavier the vehicle will be and the price for the car heads North rapidly. The best selling Tesla 3 starts off at around $40K US and weighs 1611KG (about 130KG's more than a Mazda 3), the top of the range costs $57,000 and weighs a hefty 1,847KGs, for this reason most sales are for the lighter version with a range of 420km.

Criticism on battery weight alone is very misleading. I does not account for a number of things

- The motor in standard Tesla 3 weighs only 32KGs, small petrol engines weigh 160Kg
- There is no gear box, small gearboxes weigh around 50KG
- There is no fuel tank or fuel, 50 litres of petrol weight, tank weight etc is around 50KG
- The cooling system is significantly small and lighter than that for a petrol engine saving around 15KG

So a 370KG battery pack on the standard Tesla model 3 is offset by around 240KG of items in a petrol car. It is much cheaper to run and emits no CO2. One can argue CO2 is produced to generate electricity, but that is the main subject of this thread and I wont elaborate.

Top selling 5 EV's in 2019

Tesla model 3 battery pack 370KG (std)
BAIS EU series
Nissan Leaf battery pack 294KG
BYD Yuan EV
SAIC Baojub e-Series &

I could not find battery weights for the Chinese cars, but they are lightweight at the curb, so expectations is the batteries are also quite light.

The notion that EV's have batteries that weigh 500KG's is highly misleading, this is the weight of EV's with high performance and long ranges, the worldwide average is estimated to be 230kg.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 21, 2020, 7:42 pm

tamada wrote:
October 14, 2020, 6:20 am
The battery in the hybrid Prius may well be 90 kg (I didn't Google it) but it's still mostly non-recyclable. The battery in a non-hybrid Tesla S is 540 kg, or 1,200 lbs (I did Google it) or more than half a ton... also mostly un-recyclable.

Can this new-fangled NSW energy facility run on BS too or are they similarly confused about the technology they espouse?

I disagree that the Boomers should stand back right now. Eventually they will all die so let the Gen-X, Y and Z'ers bash on with trashing their own planet while they pursue the impossible.

The Manhattan Institute crunched these numbers some time earlier this year and their full digest does pose some serious and very relevant questions. One of them not directly addressed in the OP's video was the huge cost and difficulties interfacing all this shiny new, planet-saving high-tech with the existing energy infrastructure, power grids and distribution networks.
An objective review

- 540 KG for an AV vehicle is terribly misleading, see other posts on this site
- This planet is populated by many generations, none have exclusivity
- The Manhattan institute review is skewed to satisfy the biases of their financiers (suprise, suprise to quote Gomey Pyle)
- Tamada, you are either naïve or disenguise
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 22, 2020, 8:45 am

BTW, 50% of EV batteries are recycled according to some reports, not zero as tamada's post suggests. This percentage will increase as techniques get more sophisticated with some researches claiming it is possible to recycle 90%.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-qu ... ctric-cars

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 22, 2020, 11:07 am

What is misleading about 540kg battery weight in the EV Tesla S
Not sure why you brought AV vehicles into it (possible a typo on your part)
What was misleading was your stating 500kg was bs and using Prius for an example
Next misleading statement on your part
"Most electric car batteries weigh 230KG with the new Bosch battery coming in at 190KG. Not many of the are the very large high capacity powered models"
Considering at least a third of all EV are Telsa at present most is the wrong word (Some is more truthful or accurate)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 22, 2020, 11:49 am

To be more objective, You should be comparing the weight of the EV driveline including the battery to a conventional driveline including the weight of the gas tank.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 22, 2020, 1:43 pm

Had a look at the MG ZS EV out on the KK road. Nice car and the current battery is 250kg at about 45kw. With over 300km range.
Further research advises MG are trying to develop a 73kw battery and still weigh in at 250kg and go past 500km. Will take 2 years. Technology is moving forward rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 22, 2020, 3:48 pm

noosard wrote:
October 22, 2020, 11:07 am
What was misleading was your stating 500kg was bs and using Prius for an example
"Most electric car batteries weigh 230KG with the new Bosch battery coming in at 190KG. Not many of the are the very large high capacity powered models"
Considering at least a third of all EV are Telsa at present most is the wrong word (Some is more truthful or accurate)
I will let the recent long message stand on its own merits. If you wish to refute this, please show how many model 3 have the huge batteries, as compared to the std option. If you cannot show that number, your argument has no merit.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 22, 2020, 4:50 pm

noosard wrote:
October 22, 2020, 11:07 am
I will let my comments stand.

No need to day anything else

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 22, 2020, 5:49 pm

It is your comments that are full of falsehoods
A prius may have 90kg of battery but it is not an EV
Bosch said is 2017 it had a light weight battery coming, but most electric cars are not using
whether not up to specs, cost too much or just not come

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 22, 2020, 5:54 pm

Now me I believe electric cars are the future
but for the masses at the moment just too expensive
Example VW ID starts at €37,000

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 22, 2020, 5:56 pm

1968 Australia

https://youtu.be/NWcy2HgTjCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 22, 2020, 6:39 pm

Thanks Barney
That is a pearler

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 22, 2020, 7:09 pm

noosard wrote:
October 22, 2020, 5:54 pm
This post days it all. Sad.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 23, 2020, 7:44 am

Whistler wrote:
October 22, 2020, 7:09 pm
noosard wrote:
October 22, 2020, 5:54 pm
This post days it all. Sad.
When the days in the future when electric cars are no longer too expensive for the masses it will no longer be sad days

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 23, 2020, 10:34 am

The weight of these batte3r ies mkust in my limited2 knowledge make them not4 so economic. True when w1e fill up currently be that diesel or petrol the cars weight increases, but is does lessen as you drive, thereby making the power/weight ratio more economic to run. With an electric vehicle the car weight is the same full charge or 1/4 charge.

Maybe I am thinking of it incorrectly but until the Battery weight is substantially reduced it will remain e2neconomic in the power to weight ratio methinks.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 23, 2020, 11:08 am

Khun Paul wrote:
October 23, 2020, 10:34 am
The weight of these batte3r ies mkust in my limited2 knowledge make them not4 so economic. True when w1e fill up currently be that diesel or petrol the cars weight increases, but is does lessen as you drive, thereby making the power/weight ratio more economic to run. With an electric vehicle the car weight is the same full charge or 1/4 charge.

Maybe I am thinking of it incorrectly but until the Battery weight is substantially reduced it will remain e2neconomic in the power to weight ratio methinks.
True, but fuel systems are at the lower end of the weight savings from petrol powered vehicles. Quoted weights for both engines and gearboxes in my long post were for small cars.

In fact engines can weigh well over 320 KG and many gearboxes weigh over 100KG. I was trying to avoid the exaggerations that both noosard and tamada used to push their feeble arguments. Not all engines weigh 320KG and not all gearboxes weigh 100KG, just as very few Tesla series 3 vehicles have a 500KG battery pack.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”