Same same Iraq

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

Same same Iraq

Post by tamada » November 18, 2022, 8:02 am

No lessons learned then.

SIGAR identifies six factors that contributed to the collapse of the Afghan government and return of Taliban to power.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/11/ ... stans-fall

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Same same Iraq

Post by FrazeeDK » November 18, 2022, 8:27 am

Iraq same same Afghanistan same same Ukraine. Setting up firehoses full of money to spray into questionable projects was and is endemic to the US Federal Bureaucracy. Oversight is normally ignored. Afghanistan and Iraq had mid-level State Department, USAID and military officers doing one year tours with minimal to no overlap with their predecessors managing multi-million dollar projects that they were not qualified to supervise.. But, they got their ticket punched with those one year "Danger" tours.. Note the multi-billion dollar legislation to support Ukraine was not amended per Senator Rand Paul's request to appoint a Special IG to monitor the massive influx of funds.
Dave

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 18, 2022, 7:47 pm

You do have to ask the question, Why?

Why the US Party in Power, chooses to continually throw away all that money on lost causes - its like flogging a dead horse on these cultures/people, that simply don't want what the US is selling (i.e. the so called US form of democracy).

Yes those people may want a better life, but quite often it is not the one that the US Politicians are trying to sell.

Who knows, one day there might be a government that does more with all that money, such as improving the lives of their own country men/woman with free health care, better pensions, some low cost housing =; =;

Syria, Libya
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 19, 2022, 10:09 am

One option would have been to let Putin walk over Ukraine. I don't think there's much question he would have done so without US support. So, there's that to munch over.
While thinking that over, may as well toss in a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. Do we turn a blind eye or take action?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 19, 2022, 10:27 am

I doubt Ukraine would have been a walk over. Weren't the Russians already stymied on their advance on Kiev within a few weeks and well before the rearming of the Ukraine forces kicked off? They could have occupied more territory than they have but hardly conquered the nation.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 19, 2022, 9:57 pm

Personally, I don't think Putin wants Ukraine. I don't think Putin ever did when he started and I certainly don't think he wants Ukraine now. It is pretty obvious even to him, that it is just too much trouble for him to keep.

One can speculate as to why Putin went into Ukraine at the time and what he initially wanted to achieve then. There are plenty of theories floating around about that. Maybe better to post them under "World News - Ukraine"

My post was aimed at the often misguided aspirations (ill-considered) of the American Political system, (usually the State Department/Congress) that thinks buy throwing enough money at anything, it will simply disappear or go their way. All this does is stall the process, but not correct it.

As to the issue of China: How much are other Countries prepared to sacrifice, when China makes it move, because the Chinese Government is more than likely prepared to sacrifice everything and everyone. Do Western aligned Countries + Japan etc. go to a physical confrontation with China over the issue of Taiwan. I very much doubt they will.

Iraq and or Afghanistan, were against Dictators and Ideologies, respectively. China vs Taiwan is a different event for a completely different reason. China moving to take Taiwan, is inevitable, in my humble view and the outcome is all but set in stone, just as it was with China vs Hong.

Taiwan: Not too many friends

Countires that recognize Tawain 2022.JPG

Just my two cents worth

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 20, 2022, 1:49 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
November 19, 2022, 9:57 pm
Personally, I don't think Putin wants Ukraine. I don't think Putin ever did when he started and I certainly don't think he wants Ukraine now. It is pretty obvious even to him, that it is just too much trouble for him to keep.

pipoz4444
Eh?

Then why did he invade and try to take Kyiv within hours, for sh.!ts a giggles?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”