The voice

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
noosard
udonmap.com

The voice

Post by noosard » April 21, 2023, 9:30 am

Secret legal advice for the Indigenous voice to parliament, which Anthony Albanese previously brushed off calls to release, has now emerged.
“(It) would not impose any obligations upon the Executive Government to follow representations of the voice, or to consult with the Voice prior to developing any policy or making any decision,’’ the Solicitor-General’s advice states.

The Albanese Government had previously rejected the calls for transparency on the grounds that the government rarely releases its own legal advice.

So what is the point of the voice apart from maing another department that no one listens to
and another lot snouts at the trough

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: The voice

Post by jackspratt » April 21, 2023, 10:18 am

noosard wrote:
April 21, 2023, 9:30 am

So what is the point of the voice.......
I guess people can see the distinction between "advise" and "impose" or "compel".

Although Pauline Hanson, and noos, not so much.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 21, 2023, 10:21 am

noosard wrote:
April 21, 2023, 9:30 am
Secret legal advice for the Indigenous voice to parliament, which Anthony Albanese previously brushed off calls to release, has now emerged.
“(It) would not impose any obligations upon the Executive Government to follow representations of the voice, or to consult with the Voice prior to developing any policy or making any decision,’’ the Solicitor-General’s advice states.

The Albanese Government had previously rejected the calls for transparency on the grounds that the government rarely releases its own legal advice.

So what is the point of the voice apart from maing another department that no one listens to
and another lot snouts at the trough
Why did you cherry-pick and edit the advice given? If you quoted it in full it would have been more honest.

Secret legal advice, twaddle, it was written advice provided to an open parliamentary committee. To quote today's SMH

'The Commonwealth’s top legal adviser says the federal cabinet and public service would not be forced to consult with the Voice before making policy, in a legal opinion that counters concerns that enshrining the body in the Constitution will clog up the courts and hamstring governments.

In a written opinion submitted to the parliamentary inquiry into the referendum, Solicitor-General Stephen Donaghue said the Voice would “enhance” Australia’s system of representative and responsible government, and not “will not fetter or impede” the powers of the parliament or executive'.

Here is the point. The government seeks feedback on many issues, none of the advice is legally binding. There are many such groups in Australia already, including

- ACTU to hear from unions
- Australian Business Council
- Think tanks, both left and right-wing
- ACOSS
- many others

You make the sweeping statement that nobody listens to advisory groups, that is nonesense.

This is a good thing that they consult and listen before taking action, the voice is an advisory body from a group that previously did not have a unified voice. This is not unique in Australia, Te Rōpū in NZ, Indigenous Advisory Council in Canada are other examples. The aim is to seek feedback on potential changes to the law that impact on these people.

The disastrous and well-documented 'Stolen Generation' blot on Australian history is an example of laws enforced on aboriginals that would probably not have happened if the aboriginal people were consulted first.

That is the point.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 21, 2023, 11:18 am

The stolen generation is not history
It is still going on today

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 21, 2023, 3:04 pm

Your original post on here was not true, now followed up with this post which is also not true.

The stolen generation was legislated first of all in Victoria, then other states, then by the commonwealth after federation. No such legislation exists anymore.

If children are removed from.parents these days it is under legislation that contains no mention of race.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 21, 2023, 4:02 pm

Just another example of pollies not listening
Central Australia's peak organisation representing local Indigenous people says the federal opposition's new shadow minister for Indigenous Australians, Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, "neither speaks for them nor listens to them".

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 21, 2023, 4:14 pm

noosard wrote:
April 21, 2023, 4:02 pm
Just another example of pollies not listening
Central Australia's peak organisation representing local Indigenous people says the federal opposition's new shadow minister for Indigenous Australians, Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, "neither speaks for them nor listens to them".
Jacinta Price is a nobody, she holds no position in government, her party is not even in government. She has no appointments with any Aboriginal Land Council.

The Central Land Council is the OFFICIAL representative body for that part of Australia, they are 100% correct that she does not represent local aboriginals.

The government listens to the people, not Jacinta Price.

Your statement 'Just another example of pollies not listening' is 100% incorrect.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 21, 2023, 5:36 pm

The chances of 'The Voice' referendum getting up is interesting.

Those opposing look like they may do well in Queensland and Western Australia. If the other 4 states vote YES, this opposition will be nullified as the referendum needs a majority of the states to vote YES.

A simple national majority above 50% will have to be achieved. Given that 17 Million, out of a population of 26 million, are in NSW, Vic, SA and Tas, the chances of a 50% national majority seems very achievable but will need a strong YES majority in NSW and Victoria

Voting is compulsory, despite this, the undecided may simply not vote, if this pans out, the YES vote will be strongly favoured. Still, the referendum date is 6 to 8 months away, a long way to go in this battle. If the YES vote gets up, Dutton is toast.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 21, 2023, 6:37 pm

I am hoping the voice gets a thumping no. Its a racist deal for 3% of the population and hopefully Dutton will get the no case through. But its up to the population, see what happens.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2023, 4:46 am

Sport wrote:
April 21, 2023, 6:37 pm
I am hoping the voice gets a thumping no. Its a racist deal for 3% of the population and hopefully Dutton will get the no case through. But its up to the population, see what happens.
48-hours to go...
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 11, 2023, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
October 11, 2023, 4:46 am

48-hours to go...
69 hours to go, check your clock.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 11, 2023, 7:12 am

Whistler wrote:
April 21, 2023, 5:36 pm

If the YES vote gets up, Dutton is toast.
I agree Dutton will be toast. He along with Price and Mundine as leaders of the no camp, will be the toast of the town in a resounding defeat of the yes vote.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 11, 2023, 9:10 am

Sport, what do you think of the Jewish Board that the government regularly listens to. Jewish people only represent 0.04% of the population. I wonder what is wrong with consulting widely with sections of Australia, or should we make laws that effect aboriginal people and never discuss these laws with them beforehand?

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 11, 2023, 12:05 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 11, 2023, 9:10 am
Sport, what do you think of the Jewish Board that the government regularly listens to. Jewish people only represent 0.04% of the population.
Why whistles are you bringing the Jewish community into this conversation. All sensible Govts. would be neglectful if they did not listen to all citizens in Oz regardless of their faith.

Whistles quote.'I wonder what is wrong with consulting widely with sections of Australia, or should we make laws that effect aboriginal people and never discuss these laws with them beforehand?'

ANS. albo did consult with the wide Aboriginal community and he came up with a failed referendum pitch. Laws in Oz are for everyone, and we are treated equally under those laws.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 11, 2023, 12:25 pm

Whistler, given the cost of the referendum and the likely no outcome will you apply the same logic and confirm that Albanese and the Labour/greens government will be a one term government of this poorly scoped decision to include the voice in the referendum. If it had been framed that the referendum was purely about First Nations people being recognised in the constitution, it woul have been a shoe in.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 11, 2023, 12:37 pm

Tony, what Labor/Green government? There are no Greens in any ministerial roles. Based on current polls, Labor will take up a second term with an increased majority, hardly a one term government. Labor does not hold a majority in the Senate, where the Greens have influence, but apart from 2005 - 2007, no government has controlled the Senate for more than 40 years.

To place Albo and Dutton on the same plain is drawing a very long bow. Dutton ha a string of failures to his name, a divided coalition on the Voice, he is on thin ice. Albo is in a very strong position, he can either the likely NO votes without to much damage to his reputation.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 11, 2023, 1:26 pm

Whistler where did l say that there were green members of parliament in the cabinet. Where you have the government of the day with a primary vote of 33% at the last election, the only path through to forming government was to rely on the Greens 4 members in the lower house That aside, can you advise what current polls you are referencing that confirm there will be an increased majority.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2023, 2:03 pm

trekkertony wrote:
October 11, 2023, 12:25 pm
Whistler, given the cost of the referendum and the likely no outcome will you apply the same logic and confirm that Albanese and the Labour/greens government will be a one term government of this poorly scoped decision to include the voice in the referendum. If it had been framed that the referendum was purely about First Nations people being recognised in the constitution, it woul have been a shoe in.
That's an interesting alternative. Why do you think that arguably easier option wasn't taken? Possibly open the path to reparations? That idea seem to be anathema to most former colonialists.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 11, 2023, 2:27 pm

trekkertony wrote:
October 11, 2023, 1:26 pm
Whistler where did l say that there were green members of parliament in the cabinet. Where you have the government of the day with a primary vote of 33% at the last election, the only path through to forming government was to rely on the Greens 4 members in the lower house That aside, can you advise what current polls you are referencing that confirm there will be an increased majority.
You said Labor/Green 'government' The definition of government is the ruling party. The liberals are opposition, the greens are a minor party. The Greens are not part of the government.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 11, 2023, 2:32 pm

As for the latest poll, Labor further ahead than at last Federal election by a significant margin

https://www.pollbludger.net/

We can expect an early election, not a full term, probably an announcement in Feb 2024. I would go check on your statement about Labor needing 4 Greens to support them in the lower house. They have a majority without the greens

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”