Sondhi survives assassination attempt

Thailand news, views and comments
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Sondhi survives assassination attempt

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 17, 2009, 8:51 am

There is a report in the Bangkok Post and the Thai newspapers that assassins pumped 100 shots into a car in which Sondhi was hit, but survived.

His unfortunate driver, however, was killed according to a poster on Thaivisa.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

An unknown group of men reportedly shot the tires of Mr Sondhi's car before firing into the car. Mr Sondhi was in the car with his guards.

PAD spokesman Panthep Puapongpan condemned those who were hired to destroy Mr Sondhi. He also told the yellow-shirt supporters not to worry because Mr Sondhi is safe.
Last edited by lee on April 17, 2009, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: please quote only the text and not the whole page of links, images and code. Thanks

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Sondhi survives assassination attempt

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 17, 2009, 9:03 am

The Nation does not have much more in the way of news, and it is also reporting that the driver was wounded and not dead.

Yellow shirts' leader shot and wounded - 17 April 2009, The Nation

Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of yellow shirt protest movement which seized Bangkok airports last year, is shot and injured early Friday morning.

Sondhi was riding on Samsen Road , on his way to his newspaper and television office in Banglampoo at about 5am when a group of men riding on a pickup opened fires on his vehicle.

The pickup then sped away along Tevet Road.

The bullets hit Sonthi's arm while his driver, Adul Daengpradub, was also injured. Both were rushed to a hospital nearby.

Police who rushed to the attack scene in front of Iamworanut Temple found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets. Police reportedly collected about 100 cartridges of AK-16 and rifles.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2009, 9:07 am

Yep,the ''reds'' are less ''thuggish'' than the ''yellows'',really??? [-X [-X ](*,)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 17, 2009, 9:11 am

BKKSTAN wrote:Yep,the ''reds'' are less ''thuggish'' than the ''yellows'',really??? [-X [-X ](*,)
I didn't see anywhere in the report that said "reds" were, or even suspected of being involved.
Your prejudices are showing again Stan.It might just as well been policeman or teachers, your two other favourite groups. :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 17, 2009, 9:13 am

BKKSTAN, you must be privy to some information that is not available to the rest of us.

Where has it been reported that this is the work of the red shirts?

Did the police get a confession from someone?

Has their been a trial with a conviction?

Please enlighten us with whatever information you have.

You might be right, of course, but you seem to be jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, the main thing at the moment is that he survived, and let's hope his driver did too.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 17, 2009, 9:21 am

One can only assume it was staged by the yellows in an attempt to discredit the reds :-" :D

But more seriously, isn't Sondhi the former ally of Thaksin's, before they had a major split over a business matter? :-k

That is the line I think I would be following if I was investigating this - assuming the BiB consider it worth investigating :roll:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 17, 2009, 9:26 am

Yes, Sondhi and Thaksin were business partners, and Thaksin did not support Sondhi in a deal that went sour for Sondhi, and there has been a major split between the two,initiated by Sondhi, ever since.

Sondhi or one of the other PAD leaders worked as a private secretary to Prem too.

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » April 17, 2009, 9:29 am

Tilokarat wrote: Yes, Sondhi and Thaksin were business partners, and Thaksin did not support Sondhi in a deal that went sour for Sondhi, and there has been a major split between the two,initiated by Sondhi, ever since.
And there was me thinking they were solely interested in the good of the people of Thailand? :roll:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 17, 2009, 9:31 am

Of course ! 55555

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2009, 9:47 am

trubrit wrote:
BKKSTAN wrote:Yep,the ''reds'' are less ''thuggish'' than the ''yellows'',really??? [-X [-X ](*,)
I didn't see anywhere in the report that said "reds" were, or even suspected of being involved.
Your prejudices are showing again Stan.It might just as well been policeman or teachers, your two other favourite groups. :lol:
Well,IMO,it is a reasonable assumption ,for discussion purposes,that it wasn't a ''yellow'' that was behind the attempt. #-o
And as far as bias is concerned,are you saying that you are less bias than me?If you are,I would suggest that you are in a stae of denial when it comes to comparing the violence episodes of the reds and yellows as reported by the media! :lol:

The fact that I have always considered Thakin to be a crook and egotiscal despot,doesn't mean that I think an expat is better off with the present PM,because I don't!I think he and his regime was more expat friendly,at least until he was ousted.But I do think that this PM is more of what Thailand needs to progress,and I can understand him when he speaks,plus I think a coalition gov't is better for Thailand,at this time! :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » April 17, 2009, 11:04 am

well reading what was posted about some one said they collected 100 shells and the car was riddled with bullet holes I suspect it was more of a warning then a contract hit.

bugseda
udonmap.com

Post by bugseda » April 17, 2009, 11:37 am

A warning? With over 100 rounds discharged from a rifle?

I don't think so.

No way in H*LL is that a warning especially when one hit the left side of his skull.

These shooters remind me of the stupid gangs in East Los Angeles....they have money to buy good weapons but not a clue how to shoot them.

Sorry, but a warning is like a couple of shots to the window or maybe blowing up your car when you are not around, or a dead fish left on your door step....opps,,,we are in Thailand, never mind the fish warnings.

Sad really. I was hoping for at least a few months of peace while the Reds & Yellows figure out their next move.

I am afraid this will fast forward the whole situation. We are in for a not so nice ride in the peaceful land of Thailand.

I hope I am wrong.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 17, 2009, 11:50 am

Considering that the Police And Military Personnel are Alleged to carry out the bulk of these hits in Thailand it would suggest from the amount of shots fired and the end result would justify to some extent Khun Stans theory of the Red shirts involvement. Geez even I couldn't miss with that many bullets :shock:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2009, 12:07 pm

AK47's,available to army and police only,since most of those that don't support the PAD because they say that the military are behind them,might we suspect that it was red police behind the ''pro hit''.I call it a''pro hit'' ,because they took time to incapacitate the car before riddling it with bullets!

By the way,everything we talk about relating to this topic is pure speculation and at time personal conclusions!So why,ask silly questions?

Of course I am privy to inside info,aren't you? :lol: :lol: I know Trubrit and he passes some along once in awhile from his sweat buddies possibly :lol: Don't you listen Tilo?

The nation reports that he has a bullet in his brain,but a fellow PAD spokesman told his supporters that he was in good condition :yikes: TiT,a damaged brain probably isn't going to effect the Thai way:lol:

Oh,how tacky,I am so ashamed :oops: :oops: :oops:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 17, 2009, 12:16 pm

Interesting that they were AK47's. All the photos of army and police last week showed them using M16's.
A Russian mafia hit perhaps. :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2009, 12:44 pm

trubrit wrote:Interesting that they were AK47's. All the photos of army and police last week showed them using M16's.
A Russian mafia hit perhaps. :lol:
:lol: Probably a file photo,wouldn't want anyomne to work to hard :lol:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 17, 2009, 7:26 pm

Certainly no warning. He did walk away and walked into the ER.

Pics of car and Sondhi here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... llets.html

Note: Pics quite graphic if you are squeamish.

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » April 17, 2009, 8:41 pm

This reminds me of the early 80's in Thailand, when hand-grenades were being tossed into restaurants and bars, or cars were sprayed with automatic weapons fire to assassinate various political, military business and police leaders. The period between 1980 and around 1986 (when Prem was Prime Minister) was full of violence, with two attempted coups, shootings, bombings...All kinds of messy stuff.

What's interesting is that many of the same players are around. Manoon, leader of the two coup attempts in 81 and 85, is now speaker of the Senate. Prem, of course is on the Privy council, Ekkayuth Anchanabutr, the off-shore financier of the two coups (ala Thaksin), returned to Thailand after the statute of limitations ran out on a pyramid scheme he was accused of, and spent large amounts of money on ousting Thaksin.

The coup attempts were quelled by General Chavalit Yongchaiyuth, (who later had visions of PM-dom himself) with the help of Arthit Kamlangek in 1981, and by himself in 1985. Arthit later fell into disfavor, becoming the only Supreme Commander to be sacked (up to that time). He later became a power broker himself, aiding Chamlong Srimuang into his role as Governor of Bangkok. His fellow class members (Class 5 of Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy) were upset with his standing, and overthrew the government of Chatchai Choonovan, who had named Arthit Deputy Defence Minister. I am convinced that Chatchai's famous saying of "No Problem!" was actually "Mai Prom Prem!" Or "Not along with Prem!"

We know, of course, what happened with Chamlong, and his convoluted role in bringing Thaksin to power.

The odd man out it all this, of course, is Thaksin. He is an outsider, brought in by a political dealer who literally raised him to be Prime Minister. It's been an interesting ride, and I'm frankly curious as to what will happen next.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » April 17, 2009, 10:12 pm

dbriggins wrote:It's been an interesting ride, and I'm frankly curious as to what will happen next.
I don't know but I've a feeling we may be returning to those events of the early 80s that you described especially if the same players are still around. What you've said also reinforces my belief that no one at that level is really interested in democracy or manhood suffrage, it's a battle between factions that have influence and power. Consequently, any move in the direction of democracy by the people is a plus.

Good post D Briggins, keep your hand in.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 18, 2009, 4:15 pm

And so what is the common factor, and the great survivor through all this :-#

No need to answer - it is a rhetorical question :D

Return to “Thailand News”