Lese majeste fight goes online

Thailand news, views and comments
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 16, 2015, 5:48 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/4 ... oes-online

Goodness me.... :shock:
The Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) has this year ordered the closure of more than 500 URLs (uniform resource locators) containing content deemed to violate the lese majeste law. However, a huge portion of them remain open due to the police's lack of authority in gaining access to them when the servers are located overseas. Pol Maj Prakrom Varunprabha, a police inspector with with TCSD's Sub Division 1, who is on a special assignment to curb lese majeste acts on the internet, said the TCSD issued orders to shut down 510 URLs between Jan 5 and Tuesday for violating the lese majeste law. URL is the generic term for all types of names and addresses that refer to objects on the World Wide Web.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 16, 2015, 6:32 pm

Not much in the way of news here, Bob. It seems to me to be a losing fight.....trying to block websites.....without the firepower of a country like China controlling the net the way they do. There are several websites that offer insight into the country's affairs.....blocked by the TCSD but easily available on alternate websites. It doesn't take much to find the websites that are accessible.
All in all a sad state of affairs.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 16, 2015, 7:51 pm

That fight can only be won within the country, not outside it.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 16, 2015, 10:47 pm

OT's off subject here I know, but I'd just like to add that one day some kid who happens to be a bright spark will simply "turn off the internet". No need to start another thread about that when it happens.

OT.......... \:D/

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

"this year".. I'd venture to say that since 2006 there have been tens of thousands of blocked URL's in Thailand ranging from the subject mentioned to innumerable sites deemed "immoral"...
Dave

Return to “Thailand News”