6.7 quake strikes off Indonesia

World news discussion forum
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 4, 2011, 12:07 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... -indonesia
The epicentre in the Indian Ocean was 24 kilometres (15 miles) miles deep, the US Geological Survey said, after initially estimating it at 10 kilometres underground, and 277 kilometres south of the Javanese coast.

Indonesian seismologists put the magnitude at 7.1 and issued a tsunami warning, saying the tremor had the potential to cause a killer wave and asking recipients of its public alert SMS to warn others of the danger.

The warning was later cancelled.
Thankfully it does not seem to have caused widespread loss of life.

I watch a Channel 4 documentary the other day, created after the Japanese disaster, called
Japans Tsunami-How it Happened
that suggested that the Japanese earthquake may well be the start of a series of them, rather than just an isolated incident..

sissor-mouth
udonmap.com

Post by sissor-mouth » April 4, 2011, 12:20 pm

my goodness another earth quake something on mother earth is not ringing true ? are we being kept in the dark about the movement of earths continental plates

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 4, 2011, 12:27 pm

This is the C4 program...Worth watching but need to have a UK IP address to do so I think..
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/japa ... ppened/4od

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » April 4, 2011, 12:44 pm

For people interested in what mother earth is doing: http://earthalerts.manyjourneys.com/
Earth Alerts is a Windows-based application that allows you to monitor in near real-time a variety of natural hazard events that are occurring anywhere around the world. Alert notifications, reports, and imagery provide the user with a convenient way to view natural phenomenon as they occur, whether close to home or some far-flung corner of the globe!

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » April 4, 2011, 2:21 pm

BobHelm wrote:Thankfully it does not seem to have caused widespread loss of life.
Bersyukur ....Thank God! [-o<
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 4, 2011, 5:34 pm

christchurch, tonga, japan, indonesia, all this year along that same fault line, hope she doesnt swing back our way (NZ)again, but something tells me its just a matter of time...

Return to “World News”