Poms who arrived by boat !

World news discussion forum
wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 17, 2014, 1:44 am

Why weren't these processed in Naru or Manus Island etc

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 6887167148

So this is where the 2nd wave / decline of Terra Australis can be tracked back to, the first being 1788.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 17, 2014, 2:37 am

Anyone spot the typo yet ??

Well the article says the Gibb brothers ( Bee Gees ) were associated with the 10 Pound Pom. Travelled on the same boat yes .

But all good Poms will immediately acknowledge that the Bee Gees were not Poms , but in fact born on the Isle of Man, and like many of us, ruled by the Poms.

( Lights blue touch paper and stands well clear )

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » April 17, 2014, 4:07 am

Ruled by the Poms? I'm not sure what Jack would have to say about that. Although, the Aussies were always easier to manage than the rumbustious Scots, Welsh and Irish. That said, the Kiwis were the most compliant. :-#
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » April 17, 2014, 4:08 am

A game of cricket, anyone? :shock:
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 17, 2014, 4:43 am

FYI. Earnest. Sir Jack of Ban Dung is NOT the Govenor General of our pre republican country.

Sadly when we get the republican movement stirring. The monarchists such as the present cvnt fly a royal baby out for a few days to pacify the natives.

If the Kiwis remove the U Jack off their flag would you still be calling for their head on ths block

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » April 17, 2014, 4:54 am

Yes, wheeling on the royal rug rat always works a blinder against the leftist republicans.

You do realise that the only thing stopping the Maoris from reclaiming their islands is the fear of the great, white Queen's flag?

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 17, 2014, 6:03 am

Poor girl was murdered in the main street of sunshine yesterday by her psychopath defacto.4 copper choppers flying above, cop cars everywhere turn on the tv to see what was happening and guess what? Bloody inbred poms all over the tv. More of a rant against the media than the kissing cousins and their sprog. Makes me embarrassed to be an Aussie
Watch Me!!

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 17, 2014, 7:44 am

When I first saw the title I thought it was about those things Cheerleaders use when leading a cheer. Read the article but still not 100% sure what constitutes a Pom, but now know it has nothing to do with Cheerleaders.

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 17, 2014, 8:26 am

There is no mistake as to what a Pom is for an Australian, it is short for pome, Prisoner of Mother England.
Strantheman, a pom is not something a cheerleader uses but a pom pom is. Now you can be 100% sure

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 17, 2014, 8:56 am

I think that you will find there is no definite origin from the meaning of Pom.
Some say it is a shortening of Pomegranate in reference to the colour of the fruit & the colour that recent arrivals from England turned after being out in the sun long term.
The Prisoners of Mother England is, at best, a fanciful reply & highly unlikely in the context of the word..

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandquer ... 27,00.html

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » April 17, 2014, 10:19 am

The word Pom is used to show the difference between good wholesome people who went to live in Australia and all the rest who are low life 'Convicts' and not to be trusted.

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Some people do not know the difference between ---- and clay. The low life convicts you talk about were pome and the scum the Poms transported from the slums of England. Some ignorant people who insist with stupid un factual remarks should read the correct History Not only did the POMS send the pome nonsense to NEW HOLLAND AS THIS MAGNIFICANT Country was then called but also sent there nonsense to America'. Australia was not officially named as such until federation in JANUARY 190I I, like any other Aussie are proud to be Australian, to be jealous is a curse

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 17, 2014, 11:52 am

1813 Matthew Flinders referred to New South Wales by the name "Australia".
1817 Governor Lachlan Macquarie petitioned the British Admiralty to use the name "Australia" instead of "New Holland"
1824 Permission was granted to change the name of the continent from "New Holland" to "Australia"

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 17, 2014, 11:55 am

Back to Earnest's question: a game of cricket anyone?

Beamers and body line bowling prohibited. I think a few beamers might be about to fly.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 17, 2014, 11:58 am

Was not Officially known as Australia until FEDERATION IN 1901

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 17, 2014, 12:00 pm

It would appear that you require a history lesson downunder,,
In all, about 164,000 convicts were transported to the Australian colonies between 1788 and 1868 on board 806 ships. Convicts were made up of English and Welsh (70%), Irish (24%), Scottish (5%) and the remaining 1% from the British outposts in India and Canada, Maoris from New Zealand, Chinese from Hong Kong and slaves from the Caribbean.
So not just the slums of England,,,
& who exactly would have called them Poms?? The English prison guards, or the Aborigines??

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 17, 2014, 12:06 pm

May be the passengers on the Malaysian Airline flights flying overhead in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 17, 2014, 12:14 pm

In his book, Flinders wrote:

There is no probability, that any other detached body of land, of nearly equal extent, will ever be found in a more southern latitude; the name Terra Australis will, therefore, remain descriptive of the geographical importance of this country, and of its situation on the globe: it has antiquity to recommend it; and, having no reference to either of the two claiming nations, appears to be less objectionable than any other which could have been selected.[24]

...with the accompanying note at the bottom of the page:

Had I permitted myself any innovation upon the original term, it would have been to convert it into Australia; as being more agreeable to the ear, and an assimilation to the names of the other great portions of the earth.[25]

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 17, 2014, 12:33 pm

BOB, The origin of the word POM, Originally used as a word of endearment by Australians to anyone who came from England. Lengthened to Pome Bas**rd and till this day to me remains unchanged. I have told the story before that when Prince Charles attended school in Australia he was called as such by his class mates. in his own words " Even I was not spared of being called a Pome Bas**rd", so to all you POMS out there be nice as we are

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 17, 2014, 12:55 pm

& that is my point exactly downunder.
It would, therefore, be necessary for Australians to have a sense of National Identity before they started calling English Poms. That, by any stretch of the imagination, was highly unlikely to have happened before 1868 after which convicts were no longer being transported.
Therefore you explanation of it being a shortening of
Prisoner of Mother England
or the other widely touted
Prisoner of her Majesty
just don't, realistically, stand up to scrutiny.
I absolutely accept your 'usage' of it, just not what you say are its' origins.. :D

Return to “World News”