Australia plans to kill a pigeon

World news discussion forum
tamada
udonmap.com

Australia plans to kill a pigeon

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 9:14 am

Seems a sad end to a bird that may only be guilty of having hitch-hiked on the wrong boat. We are all made painfully aware of Australia's enduringly unique, fragile and imperiled ecosystem but if they do have recognized "testing requirements", why not catch, quarantine and test it? It's already been flapping around the 'Melbun' burbs for weeks.

"...Regardless of its origin, any domesticated bird that has not met import health status and testing requirements is not permitted to remain in Australia," a department spokesperson said in a statement. "

After all, they didn't destroy Jonny Dep and Amber Heard's two illegal mutts did they? Repatriate the bird if anything.

PLM !!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55660592

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Australia plans to kill a pigeon

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 16, 2021, 9:34 am

I far preferred the airsoft (BB gun) during the pigeons brief flirtation with out dog dishes.
Tam, you appear to have a conflicting views when it comes to Pigeons! 555555
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 16, 2021, 10:01 am

I have a condo in Jomtien. Pigeons ---- all over everything. The condo committee was tasked with at the least controlling the flying rats. They couldn't come up with any effective way because some residents love the birds and even feed them. Any type of poison was out of the question. There were a few feral cats around the complex. It was noticed that the cats were eating a lot of the flying rats. Someone decided that we should adopt many cats. The adopted cats were sterilized and wore collars. There were two cats to every condo building. I would estimate that within a year, the pigeon population was reduced by 80 percent.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 16, 2021, 1:20 pm

I found a picture of my favorite condo cat on duty.
Condo cat (2).jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 1:58 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 16, 2021, 9:34 am
I far preferred the airsoft (BB gun) during the pigeons brief flirtation with out dog dishes.
Tam, you appear to have a conflicting views when it comes to Pigeons! 555555
No conflict. I don't like flying rats.

I just think that having one on Australia's death row is a bit of overkill (sic).

Maybe I was distracted but I didn't see too many anti-bird gun batteries on the QLD or NT northern coasts. You know, to take down the flocks of untested migratory birds coming and going from Indonesia.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

glalt wrote:
January 16, 2021, 10:01 am
I have a condo in Jomtien. Pigeons **** all over everything. The condo committee was tasked with at the least controlling the flying rats. They couldn't come up with any effective way because some residents love the birds and even feed them. Any type of poison was out of the question. There were a few feral cats around the complex. It was noticed that the cats were eating a lot of the flying rats. Someone decided that we should adopt many cats. The adopted cats were sterilized and wore collars. There were two cats to every condo building. I would estimate that within a year, the pigeon population was reduced by 80 percent.
Another problem are condo owners who have pets as well as the anti-pigeon cats. I bet most have their dog (or cat) food dishes on the bloody balcony too.

Pigeons have AMAZING eyesight you know. That's why I always aimed for their eyes.

Otherwise you can buy plastic anti-pigeon spikes to place on the edges and railings where they like to roost. Seen them in HomePro. There is also the sticky anti-pigeon goo that comes in a tube that fits a normal pump-type caulking gun. I bought mine from the US but I have seen it online locally.

But the BB gun is more interactive and rewarding IMHO.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 16, 2021, 2:13 pm

Other than our unfortunate pigeon the only bird cull I can remember was the "shoot to kill" Starlings free for all in the 50's. But you are right, we have numerous migratory species of bird every year so the pigeon thingy appears to be hippo critical!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » January 16, 2021, 3:02 pm

It's probably a spy just like the monkey. 😂
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 16, 2021, 3:21 pm

Don't need spies dezz, everyone already knows the Aussies are Barmy (not to be confused with the Army that will arrive for the ashes)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 16, 2021, 7:23 pm

tamada wrote:
January 16, 2021, 2:07 pm
glalt wrote:
January 16, 2021, 10:01 am
I have a condo in Jomtien. Pigeons **** all over everything. The condo committee was tasked with at the least controlling the flying rats. They couldn't come up with any effective way because some residents love the birds and even feed them. Any type of poison was out of the question. There were a few feral cats around the complex. It was noticed that the cats were eating a lot of the flying rats. Someone decided that we should adopt many cats. The adopted cats were sterilized and wore collars. There were two cats to every condo building. I would estimate that within a year, the pigeon population was reduced by 80 percent.
Another problem are condo owners who have pets as well as the anti-pigeon cats. I bet most have their dog (or cat) food dishes on the bloody balcony too.

Pigeons have AMAZING eyesight you know. That's why I always aimed for their eyes.

Otherwise you can buy plastic anti-pigeon spikes to place on the edges and railings where they like to roost. Seen them in HomePro. There is also the sticky anti-pigeon goo that comes in a tube that fits a normal pump-type caulking gun. I bought mine from the US but I have seen it online locally.

But the BB gun is more interactive and rewarding IMHO.
The condo association has a strict policy of NO pets. The cats had an added benefit. My building has a rather large pit that contains pipes and pumps. You could smell rats. That smell is also gone. I always stop and pet the cat in the picture. He comes up on my balcony once in a while and wants in. I let him in. He checks out every room and finds a place to take a nap. He lets me know when he wants out.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 16, 2021, 11:22 pm

This story is a nice distraction from covid, and has been the subject of a few radio stations in Toronto. One commentator said the pigeon is too normal for Australia, and has to be 'weirder' to be accepted. The best news is that the rat with wings has been saved from death, and will not be killed by the people who like to do this to save the continent from species that may carry tons of bad stuff that may infect Australians. It turns out that the bird is a native Australian. I think it has been named 'Joe'.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/u ... -australia

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/h ... eemed-fake
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 17, 2021, 7:17 am

Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment really need a good wake up call as do many government departments for their crazy decisions.
We never get to find out just who "they" are though.
My guess is this person will be hiding in a cupboard somewhere by now.

Expect we'll get some inquiries around here soon as the flock of black drongo birds has arrived in our back yard from South Africa.
Can you believe there is actually a bilateral migatory bird agreement...???
I kid you not.... :D :D

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... tory-birds

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 7:58 am

So... is there a black market on fake US racing pigeon tags in Australia or had someone from Melbourne, who just happened to get enough details off a fake leg tag before letting the bird fly away again, already gotten bored with Vic's COVIDSafe Summer rules?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 17, 2021, 9:40 am

I was born and raised in Ohio. Twice a year we would enjoy the large V shaped flocks of Canadian geese migrating. The honking is distinctive and easily recognized. Somehow the birds got mixed up and decided to stay full time. People living near water became very defensive protecting their new "pets". Large areas were posted, no trespassing or hunting. Since water freezes in Ohio winters, they build the birds shelters and feed them. It was novel to begin with but the aggressive geese soon became pests. If you think pigeons crap all over everything, you should see what the geese do. It appears to me that we shouldn't fool with Mother Nature.

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » January 17, 2021, 2:58 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 16, 2021, 3:21 pm
Don't need spies dezz, everyone already knows the Aussies are Barmy (not to be confused with the Army that will arrive for the ashes)
😂 😂 😂
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 17, 2021, 4:15 pm

Aussies don’t kill birds or animals.

We humanely cull them.
So one pigeon culled will not worry us.
Christ we cull and eat our national crest animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 17, 2021, 4:21 pm

I blame the Abbo's ........ if they had been far more cannibalistic the world would have been a better place :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 6:43 pm

Barney wrote:
January 17, 2021, 4:15 pm
Aussies don’t kill birds or animals.

We humanely cull them.
So one pigeon culled will not worry us.
Christ we cull and eat our national crest animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah... I killed a boar pig with my ute outside Isisford once. I had to run over the bugger three times before it died.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 17, 2021, 8:17 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 17, 2021, 4:21 pm
I blame the Abbo's ........ if they had been far more cannibalistic the world would have been a better place :lol:
Is this your poor attempt at cultural insensitivity, statts?

"Abbo" (abo actually) is absolutely a slur - perhaps you could self-report, and have your offensive post deleted. The "lol" doesn't excuse it.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2021, 8:48 pm

Yes geese do have massive sh*ts .. my bizz mate in bkk had two and they destroyed his garden ... until we murdered and ate them .

also

WBLM

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “World News”