Work permits and business ownership

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » December 18, 2006, 7:24 pm

You're right Stan, research, time and understanding the way of business over here pays dividends.

Spend a decent amount of time researching your business ideas, make several business plans and live here for at least a year before jumping in.

What I mean by staying positive is don't let other peoples negative advise put you off. If I'd listened to all the people that told me my ideas were a waste of time I wouldn't be here today.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 18, 2006, 10:27 pm

:) Well put ,Lee :)

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » December 19, 2006, 8:08 am

Well...What can I say :?:..THANK YOU :D :D :D for all your advice.
The plan was to stay "low key" and to buy/rent/sell low cost propertys (after improvement) to either Thai or farang....Price of course will be double to a farang :lol: :lol: :lol: ...got a car already and was planning to rent an unfurnished house for myself and Gf/(soon to be wife) at 2000/3000bht a mnth to start with so I can sit back and be choosey about what I want to invest in 8)
Bars/disco's/pubs etc etc have never been part of the equation UNLESS they are set up to be run by Thai people,FOR Thai people with Thai prices!
Car/Truck rental :?:
Yes I've thought about it ....but only because I can buy from auctions due to 30% of new Thai owned vehicles are reposessed and can sell at auction for as little as 1/3rd of their retail value :)
Building new houses....well thats a BIG no :shock: BUT I did think maybe about some single storey shops with living acc. in selected areas :idea:
The long term plan is to generate an additional income in about 2/3 yrs time (on top of the G/f's current) of about 30/40,000bht/mnth which is more than enough to live comfortably which will be on-going.
I'm only in my mid 40's so the so I've still got a bit of time to play with before I retire :wink: ...this idea has been chewed over for over a year now and I realise that I can lose everything very easily :cry: but if I keep it low key maybe...just maybe...it might work out OK...ish :!:
Thanks again for all the advice :D :? :shock: :( :x :roll: 8)
Bring back Saint

ttom
udonmap.com

Post by ttom » December 19, 2006, 5:54 pm

[quote="panick"]Well...What can I say :?:..THANK YOU :D :D :D for all your advice.
The plan was to stay "low key" and to buy/rent/sell low cost propertys (after improvement) to either Thai or farang....Price of course will be double to a farang :lol: :lol: :lol: ...got a car already and was planning to rent an unfurnished house for myself and Gf/(soon to be wife) at 2000/3000bht a mnth to start with so I can sit back and be choosey about what I want to invest in 8)
Bars/disco's/pubs etc etc have never been part of the equation UNLESS they are set up to be run by Thai people,FOR Thai people with Thai prices!
Car/Truck rental :?:
Yes I've thought about it ....but only because I can buy from auctions due to 30% of new Thai owned vehicles are reposessed and can sell at auction for as little as 1/3rd of their retail value :)
Building new houses....well thats a BIG no :shock: BUT I did think maybe about some single storey shops with living acc. in selected areas :idea:
The long term plan is to generate an additional income in about 2/3 yrs time (on top of the G/f's current) of about 30/40,000bht/mnth which is more than enough to live comfortably which will be on-going.
I'm only in my mid 40's so the so I've still got a bit of time to play with before I retire :wink: ...this idea has been chewed over for over a year now and I realise that I can lose everything very easily :cry: but if I keep it low key maybe...just maybe...it might work out OK...ish :!:
Thanks again for all the advice :D :? :shock: :( :x :roll: 8)[/quote]

I am very sorry, but you are just dreaming. I wish you a soft wakening up.Always think twice - a the minimum!

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » December 20, 2006, 1:23 am

You sound just like the G/f....she's always telling me to "Wake up!......you dreaming!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you have a dream I find that it gives you the inspiration to work hard and try to make it come true.......if it doesn't......you have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried and gave it your best shot.....I would rather try and lose than to spend the rest of my life sitting here thinking I wished I'd done it :!:
I still have 25yrs to go before official retirement so I've plenty of time to make it work.....or pick up the pieces and start again :lol: :lol:
Bring back Saint

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 20, 2006, 11:05 am

:lol: I think you have enough advice info to be prudent and you have a ''backup''plan!

Go for it!! :) :)

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » December 20, 2006, 9:39 pm

I'm going to 8) Thanks for all the advice on this subject and the sin sodt post :wink:
Bring back Saint

Fred the Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by Fred the Farmer » March 26, 2007, 7:09 pm

My friend has started a new rubber plantation investment scheme, it looks to be a good safe way to invest into Thailand the website is www.saprubber.com I believe his plan is to protect the foreign investors coming to Thailand, but to give them solid investments.

Looks Interesting!!! :razz:

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » March 27, 2007, 9:44 pm

BKKSTAN wrote::lol: Here is a scenario to contemplate referring to security and justice!

You own a business in Thailand,your wife is Thai,but doesn't come from a powerful wealthy family(or course not,or she wouldn't be married to you!)in the area or worse yet ,she doesn't come from the province!You have read and understand all the rules about doing business in Thailand and the laws involved,of which you are in complete compliance!!
A local person of authority comes to your business and orders you pay large contributions,cease or alter operations etc. etc.(you have done nothing wrong)!!

What do you do??
Something like that happened to my in-laws. They were wealthy, connected, and Thai, with a successful business that attracted the attention of someone more wealthy and connected. A 'proposal' was given: Sell or lose everything. So they sold. Thailand is not a "rule of law" country. There is no court of appeals that can be depended upon, even if you're Thai, especially if you're farang.

So when considering setting up business in Thailand, count the costs.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 28, 2007, 2:16 pm

Thanks Guys now I"m really depressed. :( :(

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 28, 2007, 2:25 pm

Why are you depressed??

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 28, 2007, 3:08 pm

I guess because I did"nt realise it would be so hard to make a nice little living in my retirement when I retire. Still, I have 4 more years to study it.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 28, 2007, 3:27 pm

Open a nice house with green lawn and tables with checkers and dominos, and let old farts sit around and gripe. :lol:

Oh heck except for the lawn there is Falang Alley. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 28, 2007, 3:39 pm

I"m only into getting pissed once a day and punched out once a year. And thats from the little missus. :mrgreen:

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”