Physical Address in US

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by LoneTraveler » March 6, 2016, 7:15 am

Hello All! I received a notice from American Express Credit Card ( I have been a member for 25 years) that I have until March 31 to submit a Physical address in the US or my charging privileges will be suspended. They state that a mail forwarding service or a PO Box is no longer acceptable. I have been using a mail forwarding service for the past 10 years while living in Thailand so why the change now? I have heard this may be a requirement for some banks but not credit cards.

Anyone have had a similar request from their credit card companies. I will send them a relative's address in the US and see if it will take. I am looking for advice.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by Udonhoward » March 6, 2016, 9:00 am

I have an American Express card, haven't heard a word about this from them. They use my Thailand address.

Jello
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by Jello » March 6, 2016, 9:41 am

I've tried to open bank accounts in the US using my Thailand address and been turned down. I doubt applying for a new credit card using a PO box or a foreign address would be approved.

Just to avoid any potential problems I use a relatives address in the US for all my banking, credit cards and tax filing.
Is it legal to use a address you don't physically live at? I don't know.

A rule against using a PO box is understandable since people committing credit card fraud often use them. If you want to keep it that way I'd call the company and talk to them about it.
UFF DA!

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by LoneTraveler » March 6, 2016, 11:13 am

Udonhoward wrote:I have an American Express card, haven't heard a word about this from them. They use my Thailand address.
I am about to call American Express and see if I can use a Thai address. Although, I have a friend living here and he was told they will not send a new or renewal card outside the US unless it is a US resident traveling and in need of an emergency card. My card is good until 2020 so I hope I can resolve this residency issue. If not a Thai address, then I will send a relative's address and wait until they tell me that this cannot be used.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by papaguido » March 6, 2016, 11:25 am

How does AmerXpress know you're using a mail forwarding service? Curious, as I also use a mail forwarding service.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Physical Address in US

Post by LoneTraveler » March 6, 2016, 3:54 pm

papaguido wrote:How does AmerXpress know you're using a mail forwarding service? Curious, as I also use a mail forwarding service.
I have my credit card billing address sent to a forwarding mail service and it appears that whatever forwarding service one uses they can tell it is a forwarding service. I have had others notify me that I am using a forwarding service. I think it has something to do with the Post Office documents one has to fill out authorizing the forward service to act for you when receiving documents or packages. Mail forwarding services are not anonymous. The service is registered as such and anyone can trace this service back to the post office in which you signed the authorization form to have your mail forwarded, hence no physical address in the US.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”