The Farang Involvement Fee

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
stickyrice
udonmap.com

The Farang Involvement Fee

Post by stickyrice » March 31, 2007, 12:15 am

There are so many different ways that, as a Farang, that you will be expected/forced to pay when ever something unfortunate happens even if you have no fault what-so-ever. For example, someone hits a vehicle you are in, someone hits a vehicle you own, someone is injured on your property (even if trying to break in).

What are some of the things that ex-pats do to avoid this "fee" or do you just hope for the best and pay?

I personally try not to worry about it too much. But, try to use as dependable a driver that I can find or use public transport.

Loaded
udonmap.com

Re: The Farang Involvement Fee

Post by Loaded » March 31, 2007, 12:53 am

stickyrice wrote: someone is injured on your property (even if trying to break in)
Never heard that happened in Thailand :? , sure you not mixing Thailand with the US?

This from the Stella Award;

thaimac
udonmap.com

Post by thaimac » March 31, 2007, 1:09 am

Nothing new here, happens in every country in the world. I am sure that people in your San Francisco have lost LARGE law suits for all the examples you stated!!! At least the fees here are smaller. I do my own driving in Thailand and have insurance, just like in the States. When I was involved in an accident, was treated just as good, if not better than same situation in the States

Fred the Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by Fred the Farmer » March 31, 2007, 2:01 am

I agree

Advice would be

"Learn what your rights are"

and stick by them......but then again if you are a quick draw with your wallet???? Wanna have a beer???lol!!!! :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 31, 2007, 2:11 am

and where are those beers being drank at?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » March 31, 2007, 3:49 am

laphanphon wrote:and where are those beers being drank at?
Any place you can find a pessimistic falang that is anti-Thai in their rhetoric even though they claim that Thailand is better than where they came from - or a falang that did things all the wrong way.

Of courese - neither of the above wil pay for a beer...

Good luck in your search for a free beer...
Ain't Easy Being Me

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 31, 2007, 9:23 am

a pessimistic falang that is anti-Thai in their rhetoric
yikes, sometimes i resemble that :oops: , i might have to pay :shock: .
neither of the above wil pay for a beer
i better stay home, this way i win the discussion and save money. 8) now, if i can talk Ree into buying the beers :lol:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 31, 2007, 10:04 am

Last year my wife was pulling into the car park at Top Mansion when some Yobbo tried to pass on the inside. He hit the front quarter panel and splattered himself all over the foot path. My wife brought him around to the Downunder Bar where I was having a beer with Justin, as it was one of his cars she was driving. This of course allowed Yobbo and police to know husband was a farrang. To cut a long story short, it cost me Bht500 for injuries, Bht1500 for motor bike repairs and Bht240 for Police and Yobbo was definately to blame. However, I think thats a little better than the poor bugger in the states who had to cough up more than $74,000.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 31, 2007, 10:57 am

Aardvark wrote:Last year my wife was pulling into the car park at Top Mansion when some Yobbo tried to pass on the inside. He hit the front quarter panel and splattered himself all over the foot path. My wife brought him around to the Downunder Bar where I was having a beer with Justin, as it was one of his cars she was driving. This of course allowed Yobbo and police to know husband was a farrang. To cut a long story short, it cost me Bht500 for injuries, Bht1500 for motor bike repairs and Bht240 for Police and Yobbo was definately to blame. However, I think thats a little better than the poor bugger in the states who had to cough up more than $74,000.
:lol: Did your insurance cover the damage to your car?What was the difference in your cost for insurance this year?

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » March 31, 2007, 11:43 am

A couple of weeks ago a lady backed into my wife's truck while parked across from Top Mansion. I was sitting behind the wheel at the time. When I got out of the truck and lady see me she smiles and looks at the damage to rear quarter panel of her Honda. I call to my wife up the soi and say "someone boom truck you". Now the lady is no longer smiling and she call her insurance man. We got the truck back a few days ago. So far we haven't paid for anything but we filed an additional claim so I think a bill will be forthcoming, let you know later. Being married and putting everything in wife's name (gift;o)) has made my life in Thailand much easier so far.

stickyrice
udonmap.com

Re: The Farang Involvement Fee

Post by stickyrice » March 31, 2007, 12:15 pm

Loaded wrote:
stickyrice wrote: someone is injured on your property (even if trying to break in)
Never heard that happened in Thailand :? , sure you not mixing Thailand with the US?
Oh I hope I didn't come off as a pessimistic anit-thai farang. I am always so happy when I am in the Land of Smiles and come every 12 weeks.

But I think the board members have alot of collective wisdom on how to stay out of trouble in Thailand that would be worth hearing.

As far as paying for someone injured on your property, even Doc on this thread mentions the same risk:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=3056

Make sure that your homeowner's insurance will cover injuries caused by a dog or dogs.

Remember, this is Thailand, and a falang perceived to have money is an easy target for legal action - typically administered by the local police."

I don't know if this is true. This is purely a passed on story ... a farang was hit (while his car was stopped) by a car with a couple Thais. Unfortunately one died. So the farang was convicted for the death of the Thai. This supposedly went to a higher court and the conviction was upheld. If this is true ... this would have been a time much better to pay the family and police.

Oh and yes, lawsuits in the USA are totally out of control. Change what you can, and don't worry about the rest.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 31, 2007, 1:28 pm

BKKSTAN, it was a rental and insurance covered everything no cost to me. Dont know about Justins premiums though???

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”