V.A. Death Benefit for Thai Spouse of U.S. Veteran

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Anymouse

V.A. Death Benefit for Thai Spouse of U.S. Veteran

Post by Anymouse » November 28, 2016, 2:16 pm

Does anyone have any information on how, or if, the legally married (in U.S.) Thai spouse of a U.S. Vietnam War era veteran can collect his death benefit while she is living in Thailand and is still a Thai citizen? The Veteran's Affairs home page discusses the benefit and how it can be calculated, but does not mention whether the spouse has to be a U.S. citizen or whether a foreign national (in this case, a Thai citizen) can collect the benefit in her home country (Thailand.) If she can, I'm wondering how she would go about filing once her hubby has left for the Great Beyond. Thanks in advance for any input.

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: V.A. Death Benefit for Thai Spouse of U.S. Veteran

Post by bumper » November 29, 2016, 4:48 pm

The answer is yes she will have benefit coming. You need to contact the local VFW, their Service Officer does the paper work ect. Perhaps Parrot can direct better then I.

There were a lot of benefits I knew nothin about until I joined the local VFW
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 6, 2016, 8:49 am

I'd suggest going to the Charoen hotel, second wed of each month. VFW meetings start at 10 am in the room just to the left of the coffee shop in the main foyer. Meetings are usually done around 11am. The service officer and/or commander are in attendance and can help her out.
Sorry for the late response.........,from Austin

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 6, 2016, 10:34 am

There is a meeting tomorrrow

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 6, 2016, 4:07 pm

Anymouse, the form is here on the following link together with the instructions for completing the form. You can actually fill it out online and then print it out if you like. I have mine all completed, and all that is left for my wife to do is insert my date of death and mail it in.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-534-are.pdf

Here are some additional details that will help her to set up a direct deposit of her monthly benefit into a US based savings account if she has one, or she can make arrangements to get a debit card that will allow her to make monthly withdrawals of the pension at any ATM machine in Thailand. I hope this info will attach here, but if not you can send me a PM with your email address and I will get the info to you. I have researched this thoroughly and am all ready to go. All I have to do now is "croak", and it should be smooth sailing for my wife.

Nope...can't attach, so send me your email address by PM if you like and I will get the info to you.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 6, 2016, 4:57 pm

bumper wrote:There is a meeting tomorrrow
I think I may be wrong on that one. The second Wens. would be the 14 th
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Anymouse

Post by Anymouse » December 6, 2016, 5:03 pm

Thank you all for the very useful information. It is highly appreciated.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 7, 2016, 9:29 am

Additionally, please be aware that this is not an automatic thing. The VA will evaluate the military background of the service member and then evaluate the assets of the widow before determining need and amount of any pension. The exception being is if the service member is 100% service connected disabled.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”