Debit or Credit cards

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Debit or Credit cards

Post by wazza » August 15, 2017, 5:05 pm

Went into the BKK Bank branch @ Prajak Road

Requested a replacement ATM VISA Debit card and highlighted the failure last week of BKK Bank Union Pay Debit Card.

Failed in 4 cities, ( Udon , Khon Kaen, Korat and BKK ) They already acknowledge issues and promptly completed new application docs etc

Cost 100 baht for new BKK Bank Visa ATM Debit Card

Documents required

Passport - as the bank book has the Passport Number as its secure ID. Wont accept Thai Expat ID Card, unless the new BKK Passbook is issued with that number.

Receipt issued and required to be produced in 1 week, when the card arrives in Udon.

Passport and Bank Book also required again when you receive the new card.

Hope this assists

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 15, 2017, 7:22 pm

wazza wrote:
August 15, 2017, 5:05 pm
Went into the BKK Bank branch @ Prajak Road

Requested a replacement ATM VISA Debit card and highlighted the failure last week of BKK Bank Union Pay Debit Card.

Failed in 4 cities, ( Udon , Khon Kaen, Korat and BKK ) They already acknowledge issues and promptly completed new application docs etc

Cost 100 baht for new BKK Bank Visa ATM Debit Card

Documents required

Passport - as the bank book has the Passport Number as its secure ID. Wont accept Thai Expat ID Card, unless the new BKK Passbook is issued with that number.

Receipt issued and required to be produced in 1 week, when the card arrives in Udon.

Passport and Bank Book also required again when you receive the new card.

Hope this assists
Excellent update, wazza. Much appreciated.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 15, 2017, 7:54 pm

Managed to get in today , first to the sub branch that took my visa card and issued me with the union one. The little dollies that sold it to me at first tried to tell me same same, which rather annoyed me, as I knew it wasn't, but eventually got out all the forms and copies of pasport etc for me to sign, which cooled me down, but lo and behold after doing all that was told not have, which shot my blood pressure sky high again, my reasonable question as to why she didn't check that before doing all the paperwork just brought a sheepish grin, no apology, at this stage my wife sensing the pot was about to blow bundled me out the shop to go to the head office, where we know the manager, on arriving he wasn't available , surprise, surprise,but a pleasant woman attended to me , who understood my problem and explained that the bank was trying to phase out visa in favour of the union card and all branches have been given a target to achieve which if done so brings a staff bonus, which explained the attitude of the previous staff members and there reluctance to issue a visa card , however I can have one but it would take a week to get as no branch is being issued with them for stock, so I agreed to wait and filled all the neccessary paperwork, only baulking when she asked me for 100bht fee , I absolutely refused to pay this as my previous card that the ATM kept still had three years validity to run, it was there fault I had to get a new card , not mine, so this fee was waived .Anyway all paperwork complete can go back next week to pick my Visa card up. A result but what a hassle when it could have been and should have been so simple .TIT
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 15, 2017, 11:28 pm

Thanks for the update Wazza/Trubrit

By the sounds if it, obtaining a Visa card from Bangkok Bank is going to get more & more difficult & it could be withdrawn completely at any time. Couple this with the limited number of retailers currently accepting Union Pay cards then I have to question whether it's worth the hassle for me. Think I'm just going to open an account in another bank
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 15, 2017, 11:40 pm

Krungsri have Visa debit card

Ive got one also

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » August 16, 2017, 8:25 am

Kasikorn have visa as well

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

wazza wrote:
August 15, 2017, 11:40 pm
Krungsri have Visa debit card

Ive got one also
But...........Does it have YOU'RE Name on it ?? Or does it just have " Priveliged Customer " On it ?? Just Askin'...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Priv member

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 16, 2017, 7:06 pm

wazza wrote:
August 16, 2017, 3:40 pm
Priv member
So You Cannot use it to buy anything ONLINE !!......I Had one the same & Absolutely NO Use ONLINE... :shock: :shock:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Dont need to.

I use Thai credit cards for that with OTPs.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 17, 2017, 10:06 am

I've got the Bkk Bank 'Be1st valued member' card with the Visa logo on it.

Can't order anything from the UK with it, but ofc works with Thai sites.

Does anyone have an explanation why I can't use it on uk sites?

I thought that the 'Visa' was accepted worldwide.....

:roll:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 17, 2017, 10:56 am

Faraday wrote:
August 17, 2017, 10:06 am
I've got the Bkk Bank 'Be1st valued member' card with the Visa logo on it.

Can't order anything from the UK with it, but ofc works with Thai sites.

Does anyone have an explanation why I can't use it on uk sites?

I thought that the 'Visa' was accepted worldwide.....

:roll:
You might have to sign up for the Verified by Visa scheme first. My Bangkok Bank card works for any online purchase regardless of country.Well the old one did , hope the new one I get does to.https://www.visa.co.uk/products/protect ... d-by-visa/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 17, 2017, 11:00 am

747man wrote:
August 16, 2017, 7:06 pm
wazza wrote:
Priv member
So You Cannot use it to buy anything ONLINE !!......I Had one the same & Absolutely NO Use ONLINE... :shock: :shock:
Not correct, my old one didn't have my name on but when using the verified by visa scheme you just fill in the name used on your account where it asks for name on card .Worked for me before , hopefully still will when I get the new one.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 17, 2017, 11:31 am

trubrit wrote:
August 17, 2017, 11:00 am
747man wrote:
wazza wrote:
Priv member
Not correct, my old one didn't have my name on but when using the verified by visa scheme you just fill in the name used on your account where it asks for name on card .Worked for me before , hopefully still will when I get the new one.
Val, I Did have one with Priveliged Member on it ( Krungsri Bank ) Tried to order something from e-bay,& Card was REFUSED....Just sayin' Like... :shock: :shock:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 17, 2017, 2:55 pm

Some vendors do not accept debit cards.

Premium Outlet stores in Phuket. Hua Hin and Udon. Dont accept BKK Bank Visa Credit cards. Nov last year.

Staff say the companies had a fallout over charges. Just AIS did with 7-11

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

747man wrote:
August 17, 2017, 11:31 am
trubrit wrote:
August 17, 2017, 11:00 am
747man wrote:
wazza wrote:
Priv member
Val, I Did have one with Priveliged Member on it ( Krungsri Bank ) Tried to order something from e-bay,& Card was REFUSED....Just sayin' Like... :shock: :shock:
If that happens a way round it is to register your card with PayPal and use them to pay the supplier.Think that will get round it .

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 23, 2017, 1:09 pm

To be honest I wasn't in any rush to replace the Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card eaten be an ATM the other week but today decided to sort it. Every branch we popped into on our travels said a replacement Visa Debit could be issued but we had to go to the branch we originally opened the account, Big C. I suspect telling us this was just an easy way to deal with a customer standing in front of them as when we trekked to Big C we were told no can do. We said we'd close the account as a way to try & spur a change of decision as it's been noted here previously that a Visa Debit could still be issued, but were told okay then let's close it so that's what we did. It really doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to us which bank we use, although I do like the Bangkok Bank mobile app, but hey ho, never mind, maybe Union Pay will become as freely accepted as Visa & MasterCard in the future

plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » August 24, 2017, 1:35 pm

I have a Bangkok visa debit card issued this week , will it be possible to use at a
cash machine in the Uk . I asked in The Bank but received a muddled answer .
Or is any Brit expat used his Bangkok debit card in the Uk .

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 24, 2017, 3:57 pm

I used my Bangkok Bank Visa Debit once in an ATM in the uk. No problem then, just same as using a uk card except with the addition of an overseas transaction fee

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 24, 2017, 5:29 pm

Well picked up my new debit card with Visa on this morning, works a treat, first registered it with Pay Pal, then with Skype and also bought some vitamins from my UK supplier all no problems, going to top up my phones next, the're on the verified by Visa scheme .Withdrew from Atm as well .Life should always be this easy.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”