Thai Driving Licence (again)

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 30, 2008, 12:23 pm

Are you sure the residence paperwork is needed for DL renewals?I renewed in Bangkok 3 years ago without it!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 30, 2008, 1:12 pm

I will be able to update at end of may when my first renewal is due,ie from 1 yr to hopefully a 5yr one.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 30, 2008, 1:25 pm

Thai_1_On wrote:Hey IA sorry to hear about all the problems. I never though by living in an apartment would be so much trouble.
There used to be a British TV talent show called "Opportunity Knocks." From what I have been hearing over the last couple of days is the DVLA guy was Monday night's contestant. Yes you are right in theory T1O... It should not be a problem but it created a grey area for him to question and an opportunity knocked for him to...:-$

For those on Non-imm 'O' or 'B' visas or married in a house it is black there can be no questions. If you are a tourist it is white: No licence. Any other enquiries it is grey. I fall into grey on 2 counts.

I suppose I am naive in the way the wheels turn here and had I not been so quick to leave and if I had smiled and asked him to look over the documents again but this time submit a photo or 2 of an individual on a purple piece of paper he might have felt differently.

WBU Course: Obtaining a Thai Driver's Licence.

Student: Irish Alan.

Comments: Must try harder.

Othello
udonmap.com

Post by Othello » May 3, 2008, 8:32 pm

Here is my Driving licence Saga.
Year 1 was easy as the dealer took me to immigration under the AEK and then to the Purple Palace on the road to Kohn Kaen.
1 year of hair(what hair) raising driving later it is time to renew.

Great I can get a 5 year licence this time.

Off to the Doc, yes you look healthy enough. Issue paperwork.

Office under Aek, no you go to Purple palace as we only deal with Thai people.

Drive 17-20 km to Purple Palace. Have photo taken. Issue paperwork, to take to Nong Khai.

Off to Nong Khai via Udon, another 70km.

Get the numbered ticket and proceed to wait. Could not see what number was being served as there was not a counter to tell you.

After a suitable waiting period I was called forward by the Senior Sergent Major also Squad Leader presiding over the office that day.
Produce paperwork. The SSM leafs through it but does not look at it as the SSM IS BUSY TALKING to the person on her right.
Visa also produced.

Sit and wait is the command.

After 1 1/2 hour my number is called.
Produce paperwork.
" You have 5 forms, where is form 6 ?"
" Go back to the land Office and get it"

Day 2.
Back to the Purple Palace.
"Sorry for the mistake" Issue another form.
Not to worry these things happen.

Back to Nong Khai.
SSM examines paperwork and visa again.
Wait.

Called forward.
Yes paperwork all in order.
" Cannot stamp form as there is only 5 days on your current visa"
Depite the fact it is good for another three 90 day visits.
" Go over the bridge and get stamped back in"
I have made arrangements to go to Laos the following week.
"Ok come back next week"

Back to Udon again.

Following week go to Laos for a few days.
Gets back from Laos when the office is closed.
Back to Udon.
Following morning back to Nong Khai.

SSM examines paperwork again and passes it on.
Wait.
Called forward.
'Visa"
Produce Visa.
" This visa was issued yesterday, Why did you not come here straight away ?".
You were closed after a hard days work my little godess.

Pulls a face, stamps form. " Go away"

Back to Udon then to Purple palace.

To be fair to them they gave me 10 months extra as compensation.

I now hear that ther is a smart card Driving licence being issued.
How long before the old one is illegal and I have to apply for the new one.

Here is hoping that you have not fallen asleep while reading my tale of woe.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 3, 2008, 10:41 pm

Compared to you Othello I just did the mini-marathon. I have to go to immigration on Tuesday then DVLA on Wednesday. I am told once everything is in order I will get this lovely smaat caad... Then I can drive in Philippines (like I'd want to), Malaysia and Vietnam... Whoopee!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 4, 2008, 5:18 am

As I am due at end of month to do my renewal from 1 to 5 yr and to avoid a double marathon,do I go dvla first at nong sung with relevant paperwork pick up their completed appn,go to nong khai for the almighty one to complete my residency paperwork then back to nong sung for the d/l?
Maybe easier going nong khai first and then go nong sung as avoids one trip?
TIT

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 4, 2008, 8:37 am

Unless things have changed in Bangkok,you guys have convinced me to relax on the overnight train to BKK and renew there.I never had to do any of this running around there.From 1yr. to 5 yr.,I just filled out the application,had pictures taken there,waited about a 1/2 hour for processing , had the picture laminated to the card there and left with my licence!

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » May 4, 2008, 9:53 am

you cannot go to Nk if you don't have the filling form from Nong sung.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 4, 2008, 10:04 am

ok, this was my recent experiance to renew 1year license to new smart card 5 year license 11 april, please note that they want you to renew on the day exactly or straight after it expires NOT BEFORE. land transport office on A2 get letter from them to take to immagration in nong khai, take said letter with same paperwork as visa renewal passport, address book, marriage certificate, wifes i d card ect to nong khai. recieve letter from immagration to land transport telling them im a residant and therefore am eligable for a driving license. the next morning, which was the day my licence expired take letter passport and old licence to land transport office in A E K udon, pay 600 baht get photo taken by them 10 minutes later new license. its not hard ,you just gotta play the game !!!!!!!! 8) 8)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 4, 2008, 11:06 am

Before everybody starts hopping on the overnight train to BKK, my experiences in renewing my driver license back in January were spot on with the Saint's. Not hard at all to do if you bring your mai bpen rai attitude (and your TW/GF) along with you. Definitely need to go out to Nong Sung DLT office first to get that letter for you to take to Nong Khai Immigration (not sure why going to the Police Dept came into this but probably started with Mainer's experiences trying to get his landlord to provide signed copies of housebook and ID or accompany him to Immigration). Just don't show your temper at Immigration and everything will be cool eventually. 8)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 9, 2008, 1:09 pm

I changed my licence from 1 year to 5 years at AEK , no letters, nothing more than smile and copies of my visa, yellow book and passport. paid the 100 odd baht , and even got a plastic cover for it for an extra 10 baht.

took approx 15 mins all up.

NOW then the new Non Imm B visa i had in my 2nd passport was refused to be stamped at NK the other day, as i came from lao on my other passport, they said my multiple entry visa is only good for wait for it !! entry via Swampy !!! and not by road / train. There excuse is u must leave from country that use electronic departure and not stamps in passport !!

Flew to australia this week to exit Thailand ,and reenter using the visa. :ets see Tuesday morning when i arrive back

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 9, 2008, 1:34 pm

polehawk wrote:Definitely need to go out to Nong Sung DLT office first to get that letter for you to take to Nong Khai Immigration (not sure why going to the Police Dept came into this but probably started with Mainer's experiences trying to get his landlord to provide signed copies of housebook and ID or accompany him to Immigration).
Me too... I have been asked quite a few times in the past week why I bothered. I have also been asked how do you get a driver's licence by fahlang non-members (Udonmap). I am telling them to go to the police first but now I'm not sure if I'm giving the wrong advice... #-o

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 9, 2008, 3:12 pm

Spoke to them personally three weeks ago and Lady said this, "show passport to prove you are living in Thailand, and have been for the past six months " Bingo you qualify and no under the counter payments :D

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 9, 2008, 9:37 pm

Lee where is that "How to board" at seems we need to amend the procedure. :?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 13, 2008, 2:14 pm

Update:

Well at last I got my driver’s licence but strangely I have to reiterate that if you live in an apartment you could run into problems so my advice would be to get yourself registered as living with your in-laws or future in-laws and save yourself the hassle. It begs the question do the people (fahlang) that own apartments and condos in Bangkok or Pattaya not have licences?

So… After the last visit now changed plans and house owner (g/f’s grandmother) supplied tabian bahn stating I lived there. Accepted by old guy (codename Somchai 1) in Land Transport office. I was told to see a particular guy (codename Somchai 2) in immigration so went to see him (Tuesday 6th). He had 3 days off so waited till Monday 12th… Back to immigration but chair was empty and Somchai 2 that I had to see was missing again so decided to just see whoever was available. She remembered I’d lived in an apartment but now I’d moved but did I tell police in area 51? MMMmmm, nope! I was told this was a no no and would be fined for not reporting I’d moved. (Big boss, Somchai 2 enters). G/f says but Somchai 1 in Land transport said everything was okay and to see Somchai 2. Things change… No more chit chat, papers are shuffled and handed to sweep over Somchai 2… He looks at them and signs me off… Bye bye have a nice day. Seems they are good buddies and both hold high authority and mere minions do not question either of them.

Back to Land Transport to see Somchai 1 but he is gone to lunch (11.10am) and will be back at 1pm… Maybe. My face drops with a thud to the counter. Girl sees I’m about to have a (Julius) seizure and has a look at papers and tells me to take a seat. Only problem is she cannot find Eye-land on her system. Maybe I can choose a new nationality, HMMMmmm! How about I become Alan Alansson from Iceland? Mai bpen lai and in a keyboard stroke I lose my nationality. Given documents and told to go to AEK Udon to get my licence. Many people waiting I take a ticket and it is number 126, time: 12.36pm. Now serving: Number 26. Only 2 people working and it is slow… Very slow! We decide to go and eat so go to the complex to have dinner and coffee and work out that with 2 staff working and 100 people before me approximate time of licence, 10.13am, June 29th. Anyway… I return to AEK Udon about 4.30pm and they are up to 101… Wow! Luckily the conscientious objectors mean that the button is pressed a bit more rapidly and keeps going up to 122. I am summoned at 4.55pm.

Photo taken and given licence in about 5 minutes.

Note: If you need to renew at AEK Udon, bring a deckchair, a book, sandwiches and water. Maybe the attention and helmet/licence checking seems to have spurred the locals to get a licence so AEK Udon land transport office is very very busy.

In memory of all the trees that died in the application of this licence. May they rest in peace and be reincarnated in a rain forest in Brazil.

Amen.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 28, 2008, 6:48 pm

As stated before if you have a yellow book then it speeds up the process,me not registered so T/W with me at all the stages.Nong Sung first on second floor,get their 8.30am,section marked 2,hand over doctor certificate copy of blue book and T/W I/d,copy of my passport,hand in old 1 yr Thai D/L.Given paperwork,cost 25 baht(make sure you have the right change as they were not prepared to hand back 15 baht after handing them 2 x 20 baht notes,luckily T/W had 5 baht) to head off to Nong Khai immigration,letter to them and all paperwork required for the new 5 yr D/L.Luckily the almighty one was busy so one of the ladies dealt with me.Handed over my P/P to which they all enjoyed flicking thru the pages of visa stamps :mad: ,the letter addressed to Immigration and they looked at the paperwork prepared by Nong Sung so no more copies of blue book,i/d etc.Waited for 30 mins, letter ready, then chose Nong Sung again next day 8.30am instead of AEK as last time visited AEK they open 10.30am,break for lunch 12/1pm and big queues as they service the city people for their D/L's. Digital photo taken on same second floor at Nong Sung,where you hand them 605 baht and 5 mins later ur new 5 yr D/L and as stated before by someone expiry is up to ur birthday so for me getting an extra 6 mths free.So 605 baht and diesel costs for 3 trips so would say min 1000 baht costage.Maybe the 5 baht is for charity????

Nearly forgot to mention,u go to Nong Sung on the day of expiry of D/L not before but again am sure someone has mentioned that.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 12, 2008, 7:47 am

After reading about all the problems IA and Othello had experienced recently I decided to go down a different route when I obtained my 5 year DL this week.

I employed an agent to do the work for me.

On Monday afternoon I went to Squires agency with all the paperwork that I thought would be required, signed a few forms and went home. Next day Roong rang me to say everything was done and to come and pick up paperwork ready to get new licence on Thursday when my 1 y/o licence expired.
Because I had not registered my address with the police I had to pay an 800Baht fine which was dealt with at the same time.
Roong also obtained a vehicle passport so that I can take the car over to Laos or Cambodia should I want to.
On Thursday went to AEK Udon and was issued with new licence with no problems.
The whole experience was easy and stress free.

There were 2 things that irritated me slightly though.

My GF renewed her DL at the same time. Her cost 255Baht. My cost 600Baht for exactly the same service. Also whilst renewing tax GF looks at my vehicle registration book. Apparently I'm American.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 12, 2008, 12:22 pm

Now you know how I feel about being Icelandic with Land Transport and Iranian with Kasikorn.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 21, 2008, 11:05 am

laphanphon wrote:same here, 30 baht and she didn't even look at me. had a cert from aek udon, they wouldn't accept, tho it did say driver license med. cert. go figure. those others have had theirs accepted
LA,

Where did you go for your med cert.

...open for suggestions from anyone else.

Thanks

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 21, 2008, 4:05 pm

For a DL,you can get a cert from most any clinic,show your passport,answer the question about health,''no problems'' and get the cert.!30-50 baht!

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”