Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
parrot
udonmap.com

Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam

Post by parrot » September 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

Over ten years ago we replaced our cement panel roof for a rolled steel roof with a thin layer of foam insulation. At that time, there were precious few stores in Udon that sold steel roofing....and none that sold white. We had to special order it.
Today there are probably 10's of large stores that sell steel roofing, cut to fit any specification. Today, on the way home, I passed one of the newer factories along the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy about kilo 9. It advertises PU foam. The video link below shows an example of what the foam looks like.
Some argue that steel roofing is unbearable in a storm.....but we've never experienced a problem.....torrential storms and all. We have 4" ceiling insulation as well, so that probably helps to dampen the noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUhUMjjBPw

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam

Post by glalt » September 9, 2019, 7:16 pm

I also had rolled steel roofing installed to replace the cement panels on my garage. No insulation but I also had a ceiling installed and am surprised how much difference that made during very heavy rain. The house has an extended porch with rolled steel roofing. It has no ceiling. It is pretty noisy when the rain is heavy.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 9, 2019, 8:05 pm

When I did a major re-build of our house in 2012, I looked at the pressed steel roofing (known in Australia as Colorbond) - with and without the bonded insulation.

Back then the insulation layer was a lot thinner than shown in Parrot's YT video, and was a fair bit more expensive than the un-insulated.

I opted instead for what I had known in Oz, which was reflective foil paper, called sisalation. It was considerably cheaper, and I was happy that combined with the previously installed ceiling batts I had rescued from the demolished roof, it would do the job.
Insulation-being-installed-on-roof.jpg
The builder hadn't used sisalation before, and had to be convinced, but he went ahead after I demonstrated how to lay the paper. I have been very happy with the result, as I also had installed 2 large wind turbine vents.

I am shocked that people don't enjoy the sound of heavy rain on a "tin" roof - for me, coming from a relatively dry climate, it is one of the great pleasures of life, and actually helps me get to sleep at night when it is raining.

Others may prefer whale music. :D

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 11, 2019, 11:22 am

Our house roof is rolled steel with PU insulation but the car port which runs the full length of the house is rolled steel with just the 2mm thick foil faced insulation. The noise from the car port during a rain storm is quite distracting but the noise in the bedrooms on the other side of the house is hardly noticeable.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » September 15, 2019, 7:35 pm

This is an interesting and timely topic, as my wife plans to build a small house for her father. This will be a modern design with angle-pitched roofs made of box profile steel cladding. What is the acceptable insulation depth bonded to the cladding? Both from a heat barrier and rain noise barrier.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 15, 2019, 9:20 pm

gprit wrote:
September 15, 2019, 7:35 pm
This is an interesting and timely topic, as my wife plans to build a small house for her father. This will be a modern design with angle-pitched roofs made of box profile steel cladding. What is the acceptable insulation depth bonded to the cladding? Both from a heat barrier and rain noise barrier.
There is a company in Khon Kaen that exhibited in the materials show last year that has a much better than usual material
IMG_3159-3.jpeg
IMG_3158-3.jpeg
IMG_3160-3.jpeg
The spray PU is about 300 Baht per 25mm per square metre so expensive to get enough for good sound reduction, I have 25mm in the workshop and it's very very loud when there's a tropical downpour. But in the house with ceilings with insulation on them it's audible but only just.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

As far as I know you get 3 choices Nothing, the sort of rolled 2mm stuff or the bonded PU. Up to you as they say

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 16, 2019, 6:58 am

Trying to work out what STWW is saying but cannot. (spray PU is about 300 Baht per 25mm per square metre so expensive) I have never seen any choice of thickness of bonded PU. It is a standard thickness due to the tooling of the machines used in the manufacturing process. We find the bonded PU system really good compared to any other option both for thermal and acoustic insulation. Thinking back I remember it cost about 1000$ more for around 190 square meters of roof for the bonded PU option but well worth the extra initial cost. Also has the benefit of a flat profile so ne wee beasties can get into your roof space.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 16, 2019, 11:18 am

AlexO wrote:
September 16, 2019, 6:58 am
Trying to work out what STWW is saying but cannot. (spray PU is about 300 Baht per 25mm per square metre so expensive) I have never seen any choice of thickness of bonded PU.
The key to understanding :-s is in the word that I've highlighted in the posting

Same material different application process but still "Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam" though not factory bonded.
IMG_5656-3.jpeg

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 18, 2019, 5:49 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 16, 2019, 11:18 am
AlexO wrote:
Trying to work out what STWW is saying but cannot. (spray PU is about 300 Baht per 25mm per square metre so expensive) I have never seen any choice of thickness of bonded PU.
The key to understanding :-s is in the word that I've highlighted in the posting

Same material different application process but still "Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam" though not factory bonded.

IMG_5656-3.jpeg
OK, see what you are on about and hands up, without the photo would have been in the dark. Did not know they did the spray application over here. Still think the bonded to the roof sheet in the factory is better. There were numerous complaints in the UK about spray applied insulation falling of horizontal surfaces but that is probably the fiberous materials being used and lack of preperation before application. Surfaces have to be dust and oil free. Thanks for the explanation.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 19, 2019, 3:45 pm

Would stay away from the stuff I got, after a short time gravity works on it and it pulls away and looks like this
20190919_150444.jpg
hard to see from photo, but the Birds can see it.

then the Birds notice and try and peck a hole and build a nest, but of course it will not support their weight,
but they persist, till it looks like this
20190919_150513.jpg
When it pours not pleasant sitting under it. Kinda like being in Udon Town Tesco during a down pour.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 19, 2019, 4:09 pm

Yes, that's what we have in the car port and it is debonding already. Thankfully there is enough steel structure to stop it coming down completely and DIY Man sells a foil faced version of duct tape that we use to restick edges. Your absolutely correct about the noise from rain, I would reckon on 10 times the acoustic noise from that roof compared to the bonded PU house roof.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

AlexO wrote:
September 18, 2019, 5:49 pm
September 16, 2019, 11:18 am
AlexO wrote:

IMG_5656-3.jpeg
OK, see what you are on about and hands up, without the photo would have been in the dark. Did not know they did the spray application over here. Still think the bonded to the roof sheet in the factory is better. There were numerous complaints in the UK about spray applied insulation falling of horizontal surfaces but that is probably the fiberous materials being used and lack of preperation before application. Surfaces have to be dust and oil free. Thanks for the explanation.
For new steel roofing and heat insulation factory applied installation is certainly better because the integrated radiant barrier is extremely effective.

For sound reduction the spray PU foam it's better because you can make it thicker though it's going to be expensive.

For tile roofs if you want sound installation then PU foam is really the only option.

For old roofs that are in good condition again spray PU foam is the only option.

For old tile roofs in so-so condition or old tile roofs that are in good condition spray PU foam is an effective barrier to breaking in through the roof (this is a common entry method) it makes is virtually impossible or at least very difficult.

This is the method of application, note the head protection! Don't let your kids try this ;)
IMG_9211-3.jpeg
IMG_8325-2.jpeg
The shirt and trousers are thrown away after 2~4 jobs

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

RLTrader wrote:
September 19, 2019, 3:45 pm
Would stay away from the stuff I got, after a short time gravity works on it and it pulls away and looks like this

20190919_150444.jpg

hard to see from photo, but the Birds can see it.

then the Birds notice and try and peck a hole and build a nest, but of course it will not support their weight,
but they persist, till it looks like this

20190919_150513.jpg

When it pours not pleasant sitting under it. Kinda like being in Udon Town Tesco during a down pour.
I'm fairly sure that there are different qualities of that factory foam as well as different kinds of glue used. So not all of it is bad

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

September 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

I'm fairly sure that there are different qualities of that factory foam as well as different kinds of glue used. So not all of it is bad
I'm sure your right, good luck. TIT

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 21, 2019, 5:35 pm

September 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

For tile roofs if you want sound installation then PU foam is really the only option.
Have Tile roof with foil and then insulation, super block house, even with the widows open, while on the computer, am shocked when I look out the windows and see its pouring, can't hear a thing, but of course I am an old ----. :lol:

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2019, 7:43 pm

September 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

RLTrader wrote:
September 21, 2019, 5:16 pm
I'm sure your right, good luck. TIT
For some other examples of this type of roofing. There is the Gava shop across from me with the same problem, although his lasted maybe a year longer than mine.

Then there is the best example of what I am talking about, next time you go to "Le Gallery", check out the perfect bird hole right above the outside smoking tables and be sure to check out the other that is more or less hanging.

Then of course there is Tesco's at Udon Town. While there the other day it started to pour, and I noticed that I could not hear myself think, looked up a saw the same stuff, felt sorry for the workers there during the rainy season. Just maybe they will be able to collect workmen comp, when they go deaf.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 6, 2019, 3:42 pm

My wife has been advised that the steel roof will have 4mm bonded insulation, which he says is pretty standard. Is that enough? slight slope on roof...so some airflow also. Not sure how to post a photo.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 6, 2019, 3:58 pm

gprit wrote:
October 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
My wife has been advised that the steel roof will have 4mm bonded insulation, which he says is pretty standard. Is that enough? slight slope on roof...so some airflow also. Not sure how to post a photo.
Hi
Have a look at RL Traders post 19th September. Its better than nothing. But for good acoustic and thermal insulation at not too big a cost increase the 20mm bonded PU insulation is very hard to beat.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 6, 2019, 5:10 pm

gprit wrote:
October 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
4mm may be average for the inexpensive roofing but the thickness used by the company that supplied our roof if you have it is about double that.
IMG_8444-2-3.jpeg

Return to “House & Land”