House made of steel...some assembly required.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
sammyg
udonmap.com

Re: House made of steel...some assembly required.

Post by sammyg » July 28, 2009, 9:23 pm

Hello Farang1 I was still wondering if you were using the same smart board on both interior and exterior(big sheets or are you using the siding?) walls and if you knew if chap could be applied to it or is it to slick to stick to it?I beleive it was me that that gave reference to a windows,gutters,gates,awnings and sliding or open glass doors.He is my father in law and it is Phayu Construction Ph#089-5779312. He also does fences metal and wood and all type construction but never did like your house of which I am very interested.I hope you will somehow be able to continut to show photos somehow along the progress of your house.Are you in the states or Europe?Thanks for the photos and info. so far! =D> =D> :razz: :razz: SammyG

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 29, 2009, 2:08 am

sammyg wrote:Hello Farang1 I was still wondering if you were using the same smart board on both interior and exterior(big sheets or are you using the siding?) walls and if you knew if chap could be applied to it or is it to slick to stick to it?I beleive it was me that that gave reference to a windows,gutters,gates,awnings and sliding or open glass doors.He is my father in law and it is Phayu Construction Ph#089-5779312. He also does fences metal and wood and all type construction but never did like your house of which I am very interested.I hope you will somehow be able to continut to show photos somehow along the progress of your house.Are you in the states or Europe?Thanks for the photos and info. so far! =D> =D> :razz: :razz: SammyG
Thank you, Sam. I will have my wife give him a call when I get close to my return date. Yeah, I have received that kind of reaction from many Thais. That's OK.

No, it is not slick. It has the same surface texture as drywall but isn't covered with paper. I saw a display at Home Mart on Ring Road and the seam was taped and mudded the same as drywall. I was looking at using a texture gun to shoot a orange peel surface on it. I know they have it. I saw it on the columns near the escalators at Central Plaza. Something else I am looking for is the "popcorn" acoustic ceiling that is shot on the same way as the walls. That I haven't seen, yet.

Exterior is going to be the planks. Haven't picked out a style, yet.

kevh
udonmap.com

Post by kevh » July 29, 2009, 7:46 pm

Have you given any thought to the energy efficency of the building? it sounds to me like all the materials are very light weight, therefore the building will be very hard to keep cool in the blazing sun. Plus if you have AC it will cost you a fortune to run.

Just something to think about

Kev

sammyg
udonmap.com

Post by sammyg » July 29, 2009, 8:53 pm

Hi farang 1 and Kev I had also thought of the heat consideration and was wondering if the made the steel frame work in 6" deep channels,giving yo umore air space?Also have already planned to build house with patio overhang of at least 2 meters each side of long part of house to shade and keep walls and windows cool.I did that on one side of my house in Washington state and it worked very well for the exception of making the house dark especially in the long cloud covered winters there that last 8 months.Thailands sun shouldn't be so bad.Someone I can't quite remember who now,on this site suggested such and a light bulb went off in my head about this over hang and I liked it!It was either that or I was remembering the first time I got layed but No that was in my late 30's so that was only a few years ago!But anyway I think that would be cheaper than superblock but not quite sure but I know it gives you a nice place to set outside out of the rain or sun and nicer for going to your car,etc.You just have to be careful about how much junk gets started being stored arond outside of house which looks like my typical home of Poo Countree Fooolks!I think with all of interior walls and exterior walls tied to gether with the smart board etc. the place would be more than adequate to withstand the types of wind suggested on here earlier.Those type considerations are usually underated in the engineering design phases and could be easily checked on from the maunfacturer.From what I have seen on many sites I would be more concerned of the tile roofs staying on in those type winds suggested than anything especially if they are just wired on although I have heard of some riveting them on but that still is not all that strong either.I would also think if you used large sheets of smartboard on the outside and that it could have chap applied that it would also reinforce and make the building much stronger as well.Any thoughts?If you could get the 6" steel channels you could increase the area of insulation but even if just 4" standard channel thickness with insulation and adequate overhang for shading the walls I would think that adequate as well?This might not be a cheaper home to build but I think in the long run it might be sturdier without developing cracks all over the place later on,built in a lot less time,and if constructed properly could withstand and retain its value for a long while more than a conventional Thai built home.SammyG :oops: :oops: 8-[ 8-[ :-$ :-#

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 30, 2009, 3:25 am

kevh wrote:Have you given any thought to the energy efficency of the building? it sounds to me like all the materials are very light weight, therefore the building will be very hard to keep cool in the blazing sun. Plus if you have AC it will cost you a fortune to run.

Just something to think about

Kev
Yes sir, it has been concidered. With the aluminum covered "bubble pack" as previously mention, between the exterior cladding and the frame will help with the insulation on the walls. The steel will transmit the heat through the walls, also. But, because the Smart board planks and the steel is so thin, it doesn't retain the heat. My father-n-law's house with it's brick walls is an oven all night. We have 4ft (1.2m) eaves around the house with 8ft on the south end (the 8ft wasn't planned that way. Just the way it ended up).

Planning on about 8in of blown insulation in the attic. I had a house in San Diego that wasn't A/C'd. It had matted down fiberglass bats. It would get quite warn in summer. I had some insulation blown in the attic and made a big difference. The radiant heat through the ceiling is something to be concidered when building. The house also has a very high roof and will have large vents in the gable ends to help disipate the heat.
sammyg wrote:If you could get the 6" steel channels
You can get the 6" channels with this system but, you would have to shop around to find a supplier that has a machine to produce them.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 30, 2009, 4:01 am

The house also has a very high roof and will have large vents in the gable ends to help disipate the heat.

Farang1, something to consider, if not thought about already, is to see if you can put in a powered exhaust fan on one gable vent to assist in the movement of the air. A neighbor of mine did this and it reduced the heat in the attic much more then just the vents.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 30, 2009, 5:20 am

Stantheman wrote:
The house also has a very high roof and will have large vents in the gable ends to help disipate the heat.

Farang1, something to consider, if not thought about already, is to see if you can put in a powered exhaust fan on one gable vent to assist in the movement of the air. A neighbor of mine did this and it reduced the heat in the attic much more then just the vents.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now that you mention it, I remember putting one in my house in San Diego. As I recall, it died in less than a year because of the dust getting in to the motor. UTH gets a little more rain than SD so maybe not quite the dust problem.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 31, 2009, 12:38 am

Couple more photos. Sorry they are a little dark. I understand there has been a little more rain this week. Plus, these photos were taken with a high-tech phone camera.
Attachments
DSC06221.jpg
Monkey bars
DSC06221.jpg (109.01 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
DSC06220.jpg
Front of house facing street
DSC06220.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 31, 2009, 12:41 am

More of the house.
Attachments
DSC06224.jpg
Bay window, masterbath
DSC06224.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
DSC06222.jpg
Front porch
DSC06222.jpg (97.97 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » July 31, 2009, 1:35 am

Hi Farang1. What is the thickness of the steel? In mm pls. Thx Plien

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 31, 2009, 2:41 am

It is 22 gauge (.75mm)steel.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » August 1, 2009, 10:53 pm

Things are progressing slower because of the rain. It is good, I think.

Here, they are putting on the battans for the roofing.
Attachments
house_4.jpg
house_4.jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
house_6.jpg
house_6.jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
house_1.jpg
house_1.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 2, 2009, 8:50 am

7 pictures of a resturant/bar??Is this the ''Monkey bar'' of the first picture??? :lol: :lol: Did you get drunk and think you were at the house? :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside,obvious a foul up on the picture posting!

By the way,I think yours and Aussieboys house progress reports and pictures are some of the best info on the forum,thank you!!!

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » August 2, 2009, 9:26 am

All kidding aside,obvious a foul up on the picture posting!
No, accually refering to monkey bars in a kids playground.
By the way,I think yours and Aussieboys house progress reports and pictures are some of the best info on the forum,thank you!!!
Thank you, Stan. I appreciate that.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » August 4, 2009, 6:09 am

Well, I got word today that they have completed the frame. There were some issues that I had brought up with the supplier when I was there. One I know has been taken care of. The others will have to wait until I get back in town.

Other forum members have mention they have contractors in the family. When they see the framing, they get the same comment..."Not Strong!!"

One issues I noticed in the 3rd photo. The bottom plate isn't flat on the floor. That would be OK but, the stud on the far left doesn't look like it is supported. I have brought it up with the framer and will see what is said or done.

The engineer who was in charge of the frame assembly has taken his crew back to BKK. He will be back in a few days with another crew to put the roof on. Roofing is what he did before getting into the steel frames. It is a good deal because, he can watch the frame as the weight is being loaded on it.

We're gettin' there, by George.
Attachments
0040.jpg
0040.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
0047.jpg
0047.jpg (131.21 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
0042.jpg
0042.jpg (123.03 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » August 4, 2009, 12:28 pm

Thanks for you posts Farang1. I look foward to see the progress!

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 4, 2009, 1:08 pm

Farang1 wrote: Other forum members have mention they have contractors in the family. When they see the framing, they get the same comment..."Not Strong!!"
I used to get that all the time when putting up steel buildings in the US. I even got that comment from a corporate vice president, a finance type who was nosing around the construction site, probably just to get out of the office. ](*,) Here's a little demonstration I used to convince them. Take a plain sheet of paper and stand it on end. Then tell them to try to balance a book on it. Of course they can't, it won't even stand up by itself. Now roll the paper into a cylinder and tape the ends. Now it will support considerable weight. This is called "Shell Theory" and it is the basis for most modern construction. Of course it's all based on some very complex mathematics, but the practical applications are simple.

Enjoy the pics, can't wait to see the finished product. :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 4, 2009, 3:31 pm

like the red block shims in last pic................... :lol: do they sell levels or plumbs here :lol: :lol:

looking good, great thread.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » August 5, 2009, 12:04 am

laphanphon wrote:like the red block shims in last pic................... :lol: do they sell levels or plumbs here :lol: :lol:

looking good, great thread.
Yeah, I was looking at the shim, also. Kinda hoping they'll squeeze a little concrete under the bottom plate before they start loading the roof.
I was looking at some transit levels at Tool Pro. A little late but, I still have other projects about the house. The usual Thai level is a clear vinyl hose with water in it. The floor was build the same as the Thais would build for a brick house. Not real close tolerances.

Thank for the idea on the demonstration, Jimbo. I'll amaze and astound them with the magic next time it is brought up.

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, too.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 5, 2009, 8:19 am

Fantastic falang1,especially now that my pics have been restored :lol: Plan on visiting your ''frame'' Sat. afternoon as I find it very interesting !

I am hoping it works out great for you as I ''might'' be interested in doing it in the future!

Return to “House & Land”