House made of steel...some assembly required.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Thaitanium

Re: House made of steel...some assembly required.

Post by Thaitanium » July 21, 2009, 12:15 am

Thanks for the pics and info, Farang1. Much appreciated, and nice project.

Thaitanium

Post by Thaitanium » July 21, 2009, 12:42 am

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » July 21, 2009, 2:58 am

Very very interesting Farang1,,,,congrats on the progressive building stance you've taken. I want to add my thanks for posting your progress... My questions is about weatherproofing the steel,,,,, is it hot-dipped galvanized or treated with some other rust preventative process? and does it rest directly on the concrete? Thanks again.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 21, 2009, 11:07 am

LoongLee wrote:My questions is about weatherproofing the steel,,,,, is it hot-dipped galvanized or treated with some other rust preventative process? and does it rest directly on the concrete?
Yes to both guestions. It is hot dipped galvanized and sits on the concrete.

I watched the Thaitanium's video and they are using the same system that was used to make my frame.

Thanks Laphanphon, I'll give him a call.

The rep from BKK is suppose to arrive in UTH Wednesday night. I'll ask him the progress on his machine and let him know I have sparked an interest up this way. He said this is the 5th private residence he has built in Thailand and the 1st up in the northeast. He has done a lot for some UN housing project someplace in Thailand but, I'm not sure where.

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » July 21, 2009, 11:31 am

Farang, do you think will save you money on overall construction costs or is it just your preferred method?

After doing a few quick sums in my head there would seem to be little in it, mainly due to the cheap price of labour here, but I would be very interested in your thoughts and not relying on my guesstimate.

Obviously there are other factors to consider but I would think price would be right up there.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 21, 2009, 11:57 am

I think to build with the better quality Thai style of construction the cost would work out about equal. Mostly, it is my prefered method. The way they are built, here, I would think buildings would have a tendency to fall down in the event of an earthquake. Not to sure if earth movement is engineered in their archetecture.

Another concideration was the speed of construction. Although mine has been drawn out because I am paying as I go (no mortgage), from start to finish this house could conceivebly be finished in 3 months.

If I could stay here and do much of the work myself, I could save some money and headaches. Once the frame is up, I have to go back to work the 26th. Bummer

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » July 21, 2009, 12:14 pm

Earthquakes :shock: Do we get them here?

You are right about the speed of construction. About 20 years ago I installed a kit house into an exhibition. Start to finish,10 days. OK no slab to form and wait to cure and no plumbing either but the kit was somewhat cruder than yours appears to be. No preformed Holes and the roof trusses where timber and manufactured on site.
If someone is in a hurry this is definitely the way to go.

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » July 22, 2009, 9:16 am

Farang1...Will you be making a visit to the job site before you leave...I was there yesterday and would like to ask some questions...If not before you leave, when will you be returning and will construction continue in your absence??? NOLA

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 22, 2009, 1:57 pm

Hi NOLA, Yes I am usually out there from about 9am to 12 and 2pm to 4ish.

If I am confident that the local contractor (wife's uncle) understands what I want, the construction will continue. My interpretor (wife) hasn't been feeling well the past couple days so, will try to get with the contractor when she feels up to it.

They were assembling the roof trusses this morning. Probably will have them up this afternoon. I have a couple more frames left on this roll of film before I get it developed. Then, I can post some more photos.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 22, 2009, 2:16 pm

I have a couple more frames left on this roll of film before I get it developed. Then, I can post some more photos.
wow, hi tech house building, well for udon, and using a film camera........... :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

key word here is 'digital' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just F'g with you, very nice thread and hope to pop out for a peek before you head back. :lol: 8)

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 22, 2009, 9:47 pm

laphanphon wrote:
I have a couple more frames left on this roll of film before I get it developed. Then, I can post some more photos.
wow, hi tech house building, well for udon, and using a film camera........... :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

key word here is 'digital' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just F'g with you, very nice thread and hope to pop out for a peek before you head back. :lol: 8)

Yeah I know but nobody wants to use it because it isn't hi-tech. So, I get to have something to record things for posterity.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 24, 2009, 9:59 am

Here are a few more photos. We have come across a little snag. When the floor was being built, I told them it needs to be flat and level otherwise the frame will not fit proper. Well, it is not and it doesn't. The framers got most of the main trusses up but have to stop until the contractor levels the floor. If the floor isn't leveled, when they load the roof with the concrete tile, it will cause some serious problems. Learning curve for Thai contractor.
Attachments
scan0036.jpg
Front porch trusses
scan0036.jpg (85.69 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
scan0035.jpg
Front porch trusses
scan0035.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
scan0029.jpg
Precision frame meets Thai construction standards
scan0029.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 24, 2009, 10:13 am

The trusses are light weight. They were hoisted into place by hand.

The main comment I have heard from the Thais looking at the single piece of flimsy steel is..."Not strong!"
When it is completed it is very strong. The tile roofing we are putting on weights in at 40kg per sqm. The truss rating is 60kg per sqm.

We all know that, it isn't the strength of the individual strand but, the combination of all the strands that give the cable it's strength. When everything is tied together, the frame is very light weight but very strong.
Attachments
scan0037.jpg
The first truss
scan0037.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
scan0040.jpg
scan0040.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
scan0043.jpg
scan0043.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 24, 2009, 11:21 am

Farang1 wrote: We have come across a little snag. When the floor was being built, I told them it needs to be flat and level otherwise the frame will not fit proper. Well, it is not and it doesn't. The framers got most of the main trusses up but have to stop until the contractor levels the floor. If the floor isn't leveled, when they load the roof with the concrete tile, it will cause some serious problems. Learning curve for Thai contractor.
What is it with Thai contractors and their aversion to level or properly sloped pads? ](*,) I have noticed this phenomena as I travel all over the Kingdom. Even the house we are renting, appears to be well constructed, except that the driveway/patio slopes TOWARD the house, resulting in a nice little reservoir up against the house when it rains. The worst example I have seen is the Big C enclosed parking lot, which is full of little duck ponds, as we used to efer to them, maybe an inch or so deep even a few days after it rains. It is so easy to level and slope a pad, I wonder why they don't do it, especially after you reminded the contractor of its' importance.

Anyway, be careful when they level it that they get a good bond, not just spread a thin grout over it, or it will eventually spall and you will have serious structural problems in the future.

I enjoy your pictures and the info, good luck.

sammyg
udonmap.com

Post by sammyg » July 26, 2009, 9:04 pm

So Farang1 I guess this is where the house ended before you departed Thailand?It looks very nice to this point and went up very quickly.If they did do more we would appreciate the last of the photos you might have.Also I would like to know more detail of how you intend to cover inside and exterior walls?I beleive you said with smart board on the inside correct?Can the smart board be rendered or have chaf applied? Also how big can you buy it like 4'x8' sheets?Are you doing the same thing on the exterior walls?Again wondering if you can apply chaf to it? With the smart board being fairly thin and not using superblock or even bricks and mortar chaf for outside the walls will I think heat up quickly even if you do have insulation between the exterior and interior walls.I am leaning now toward putting a covered patio or walkway the entire length of the house on both sides of the long part of the house just to shade the walls and I believe will be less expensive thn using the superblock and then gives you a place to set outside in the evening come rain or heavy sunshine.I really like the structural looks of the steel framework and especially the time frame that it went up is amazing to me.I will be very interested in photos and you sharing with us how you intend to finish the rest of the house.Thanks,S =D> =D> =D> \:D/ ammyG

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 26, 2009, 9:26 pm

When it is completed it is very strong. The tile roofing we are putting on weights in at 40kg per sqm. The truss rating is 60kg per sqm.

We all know that, it isn't the strength of the individual strand but, the combination of all the strands that give the cable it's strength. When everything is tied together, the frame is very light weight but very strong.
We have come across a little snag. When the floor was being built, I told them it needs to be flat and level otherwise the frame will not fit proper. Well, it is not and it doesn't
Farang1, - I would expect that having a perfectly flat base and everything correctly & precisely fitting together must be very important to ensure that the load is properly/evenly distributed and thus no additional, disproportionate load falls on any one part of the frame. That would be a worry to me in Thailand.

Have any special allowances or considerations been necessary to allow for possible expansion and contraction of the metal, as it will surely expand and contract more than traditional brick & concrete structures? That said roof frames here are steel anyway. :?

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 27, 2009, 1:18 am

Okay .... Had a look at the website and all looks good ... yes its anchored to the ground, but how's it going to stand up to monsoon winds? .... stress factors for the roof are good but how do the walls stand up to a force 9/10+ wind hitting side on? ... just curious ;)

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » July 27, 2009, 5:03 am

Ya might want to stay in touch with udonmap,maybe as A consultant for the rest of us who might want to go this route.I definitely agree.I wouldn't buy A regular house in thailand

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 28, 2009, 6:21 am

sammyg wrote:I beleive you said with smart board on the inside correct?Can the smart board be rendered or have chaf applied? Also how big can you buy it like 4'x8' sheets?Are you doing the same thing on the exterior walls?Again wondering if you can apply chaf to it?
Smart Board comes in various thinknesses. 8,10,12, and 14 mm. 12mm and 14mm are standard in the States as 1/2in and 5/8in. Comes in 4x8 and 4x10 sheets. I think the planks come in 8in widths. There is a material that can be used for vapor barrier that looks like 2 sheets of aluminum foil with thin bubble pack in between the 2 sheets. Would also act as an insulator.
arjay wrote:Farang1, - I would expect that having a perfectly flat base and everything correctly & precisely fitting together must be very important to ensure that the load is properly/evenly distributed and thus no additional, disproportionate load falls on any one part of the frame. That would be a worry to me in Thailand.
Yes, you are correct. Having the floor flat is important to load bearing. Where we would pour a floor with tolerances +- 1/8 inch where Thai standards are +- 5cm. (Slight exaggeration). And then they cover the discrepancies with a generous layer of stucco. The contractor and the framer started Monday on getting the frame squared and level and bringing the floor up to match. It would have been easier before the frame was put on it but.....If I had it to do over again, I would do the foundation and use floor joist instead of a poured floor. Next house.
panick wrote:Okay .... Had a look at the website and all looks good ... yes its anchored to the ground, but how's it going to stand up to monsoon winds? .... stress factors for the roof are good but how do the walls stand up to a force 9/10+ wind hitting side on? ... just curious ;)
Not sure of the wind ratings on mine. I know they can be engineered to withstand hurricane force winds, though.

Once the frame is leveled, I am going to have them put the roof on. Get the load on the frame to get things settled. I am going to have them take their time. I haven't had a chance to go over things with electric and plumbing so I don't want them to do anything until I get back in October. If they drag out the roof and then work on the fence, there will always be some activity at the site and maybe cut down on materials sprouting legs.
thrilled wrote:Ya might want to stay in touch with udonmap,maybe as A consultant for the rest of us who might want to go this route.I definitely agree.I wouldn't buy A regular house in thailand

Oh yeah. I'll be around for a while. Going through the painful learning stages with Thai contractors and a new construction process. I will be more than happy to lend a helping hand.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 28, 2009, 6:52 am

Someone on another thread had mention a window maker and spoke highly of him. Can I get contact info, please?

I would like to get with him in October and work out the window and doors.

Return to “House & Land”