Struck by lightning!

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
rick
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by rick » April 25, 2013, 3:42 pm

Well, my birthday celebrations ended with a bang last night. During the thunderstorm just before it ended, there was a really loud bang and flash and the light went out. My daughter who had up to then been watching the storm with interest screamed - and screamed. While i was comforting her heard several voices shouting. By the time i was able to get outside, saw neighbour throwing water over the edge of our roof, but fire was out by then.

Time to check for damages. One banana tree next to house brought down, and touching roof. Everything had been unplugged when storm started, but TV was out, internet out, 2 lights gone and one room completely powerless (on it's own circuit). Guess the power surge went across the metal roof, down the aerial and internet cables as they should not have been affected as not plugged in to electrics.

So have been busy this morning. New TV (secondhand, 800 baht). New satellite receiver box (700 baht). Repair to satellite dish (new electronic panel, 1000 baht. Testing and labour for above 300 baht. New wireless router from 3BB (Out of warranty, 750 baht). 2 new light fitments, 300 baht. So 3,850 baht so far; need an electrician to check wiring in house as damage could be anywhere but at least back up and running on essentials. A couple of neighbours also had problems with computer and tv - strike was close to power lines.

I guess lessons learned are in thunderstorm disconnect aerial and data cables too even if hard to get at. Being Thai home, of course no real insurance. What we have only covers fire or something (who knows, in thai and have to depend on wife to explain it). But repairs cheap and all done in under 6 hours - doubt if it would have happened that fast in UK. Also neighbours helping within a minute!

So yes, you too could be hit by lightning - not just something that happens to others.

bumper
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by bumper » April 25, 2013, 4:16 pm

It is very dangerous. There is guy about our farm hit by lightning. lost both arms below the elbows and one leg.

I wonder if lightening rods are available and if they would really help?

We had our electric wiring grounded to earth, have no idea if it would hep that much or not, But, it was worth a try.

I'm happy no one was hurt.

parrot
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by parrot » April 25, 2013, 4:24 pm

We had a power surge several years ago.....blew out a wall water heater while I was sitting on the can just feet away late at night. I saw the lightning flash way off in the distance (near Udon) and just a second or two later, the water heater blew. At the time, we had a transformer on the wall and that was toasted as well. I prepared a letter for the electric company telling them what happened, they concurred it was a surge, and my insurance company paid the full bill (MSIG). I took a few photos, filled out an online claim form, emailed everything to them, and received a check a week or so later.

bumper
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by bumper » April 25, 2013, 4:29 pm

Now that's living a wall heater in the bathroom, for those cold mornings. Wish I would have thought of that. ;)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by WBU ALUM » April 25, 2013, 4:31 pm

Good that there was no loss of life.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by mortiboy » April 25, 2013, 7:44 pm

[quote="bumper"]Now that's living a wall heater in the bathroom, for those cold mornings. Wish I would have thought of that. ;)[/quote]
A wall WATER Heater! Need that in the short winter here! I dont like cold shower!

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by mortiboy » April 25, 2013, 7:51 pm

Where was the storm? Nong Sam Rong ...... Nothing :roll:

bluejets
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by bluejets » April 26, 2013, 6:06 am

Protecting your environment from lightning can be an involved task.
Basically it involves an "antenna" that appears more "attractive" to the strike by being the highest point on your structure.
It is of course metallic and connected to a ground rod via a substancial size cable (copper, not aluminium) and any bend in the cable (or busbar) being not less than a minimum radius (usually around 100mm)

We recently did a hospital here and had to keep an eye on others coming along after we installed the main "antenna" to watch that they kept things like air conditioning ducts and tv antennas well away from, and lower than , the main mast.
The ground around the earth rod is usually treated with a powder that is mixed in with the soil to improve the conductivity as well.
This one also had a "ct" around the down cable at about 2 metres above the ground which monitored the strikes on a counter.
Earth in your other electrical system is in no way connected to or in the vicinity of, the lightning earth rod or any part of its system.
Note that this is for direct strike on your property and will not provide protection against strikes that hit the power lines at a distance from your house. Protection here is in the form of "installed" surge diverters. Not the ones you see in those cheap plug packs. The difference is the earthing conductor install in the former (if done correctly)

bumper
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by bumper » April 26, 2013, 12:15 pm

Interesting I didn't think it would be easy

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by jackspratt » April 26, 2013, 1:15 pm

Think of the positive side rick - you won't need to install any protection, because lightening never strikes............. :D

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by jimboLV » April 26, 2013, 1:59 pm

Rick, glad you survived. Same thing happened to me. Living in New Mexico, I was home alone one night, standing under a covered patio watching a furious electrical storm. All of a sudden I could feel the hairs on my arm standing up. Next thing I know I'm laying on the ground, the burglar alarm was going off, and my dog is next to me alternately barking and licking my face. I staggered into the house and found out that the TV was fried (it had not been on), remote telephones were out, and my stereo tuner wasn't working. I was able to get the tuner repaired, but the TV and phones were a lost cause. Then the next day I discovered a hole about eight inch diameter clean through the concrete block wall about twenty feet from where I was standing. Looked like a cannon ball had gone through it. Strangely enough my computer was undamaged, so I assume the surge protector worked.

My homeowners insurance covered all the damage and replacement cost.

rick
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by rick » April 26, 2013, 10:27 pm

Wow! Nothing like as close. I think the metal roof may invite a strike, but then dissipates the energy quickly through the sheets so no localised extreme damage. My hair didn't stand on end anyway. Our daughter was watching the storm and we had to continually pull her away from the metal shutters; I don't want to think what might have happened if she had been touching them. We also have found one of our large water storage jars (those 5' x 5' round things) closest to the strike is cracked. Our neighbours not so lucky on the electrical appliances, both had TV, satellite box and computers fried; that is because the lines to their houses were within 2 metres of the strike.

I am assured by my wife that the house insurance doesn't cover anything except maybe fire (??? Thais! ....).

Now the wife and mother-in-law are paranoid about future thunder storms!

parrot
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by parrot » April 27, 2013, 8:25 am

Several years ago, while at a neighbor's home, a violent thunder storm passed by. Strong winds, hail, and rain ensued. In the middle of it all, a number of villagers came out of their homes with pots and sticks in their hands and proceeded to bang up a storm of their own. When the storm passed by without inflicting any damage, the villagers chalked it up to their own noise making efforts.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Struck by lightning!

Post by Ray.Charles » April 27, 2013, 3:39 pm

Perhaps the tin/steel roof will serve as a lightening catcher, then channel the juice by connecting copper cable or tubing at 1 or 2 corners of the roof into earthing rods.
Surge may still sneak into your equipment through the house wiring. For that you will need some localized protection.

Return to “House & Land”