Gardening / Growing veg etc

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
yorky
udonmap.com

Gardening / Growing veg etc

Post by yorky » February 27, 2007, 3:11 am

Along the theme of a former rice field that has been back filled ready to build as photo shows:

What is the quality of the land like with a view to gardening, growing vegetables etc.

Thanks
yorky

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 27, 2007, 6:20 am

that looks like any other former peice of rice paddy thats been filled and ready to build on, on our plot after filling and building,we have Lime trees, chilli's,coconut palms,papaya trees, mango tree's, chompoo apple tree's, border bushes and various other plants and tree's and a healthy grass lawn thats all been down 4-6 years the coconut palms and mango tree's started at around only 3-4 foot when first planted now two palms are over 20 feet, and 3 mango trees that are around 15 feet in height.
Top soil was put down before the grass turf was put down but all the trees and other plants seem to survive on the " Din" underneath very well.

yorky
udonmap.com

Post by yorky » February 27, 2007, 3:02 pm

thanks beer monkey.
Looks like almost anything will grow on/in that 'soil'.
However I have never seen topsoil for sale in the Udon region.
Silly question - which area do they get it from?
OK wise guys - I know its the ground, but .........
[-X

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 27, 2007, 5:58 pm

my bro in law ordered some, i was'nt in LOS when he did,(sorry should of mentioned this) but i would'nt say it was the finest top soil that Percy Thrower would have used, more of the mud variety(i was around when it arrived,and looked good to a non-expert)used simply to give the lawn turf a good start, it was delivered by truck then put down on the area that we wanted then damped down with water flatted out then the lawn laid.I am sure garden centres would supply some by the truck load.
Bags of black good quality nutrious soils are available from garden centres in Udon, ideal for new planting of plants and veg.

By the way i am no expert, i just watch the Mrs digging away and moving and planting things, "Me too mut lazy" . :lol:

yorky
udonmap.com

Post by yorky » February 28, 2007, 4:32 am

beer monkey
Thanks for the info - looks like I have one of my hobbies sorted out.

yorky

southern belle
udonmap.com

growing veggies

Post by southern belle » February 28, 2007, 10:32 am

Thought I would add to the info. for improving soil. We have a house and garden on the Mekong. We used loads of river dirt mixed in with horse or cow manure for all of our gardens and plants. For starting seeds we buy the potting soil at the garden centers. We have great big tomatoes(1/2 kilo, seeds from U.S.) sweet peppers, lettuce, spinach and green beans. Of course, now we are selling the place, someone will eat well!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 28, 2007, 10:37 am

Is your place on the market now or have you already sold? :lol:

southern belle
udonmap.com

gardening

Post by southern belle » February 28, 2007, 11:10 am

It's on the market now, no agent involved yet. Don't think I should be doing advertising on this forum, but, if you want more info, [email protected]

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 11:41 am

Yes you may advertise your house but please put it in the Classfied section.

Thanks

southern belle
udonmap.com

Post by southern belle » March 1, 2007, 11:31 am

Have been into the classified section but, can't figure out how to post my ad, can anyone help please?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 1, 2007, 11:44 am

Hello Ms Belle, just go to the classfied section and hit new topic under the title of thread. Down at the bottom it gives you a chance to add pics. From the ones she sent me guys this place is beautiful.

Return to “House & Land”