Gardening & Landscaping

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Gardening & Landscaping

Post by Khun Paul » April 25, 2021, 10:10 am

Rick I am assuming you are using just good soil and lots of TLC, NOT liberally sprinkling fertiliser and other plant feed stuff so the plants you grow are strong and sturdy. May taker longer but a better cleaner plant

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:33 am

Here's a smattering of palm photos from our yard. We bought all of them in Udon......most were couple hundred baht a pop. We have an abundant source of ground water, and apply cow poop on occasion. Of all the palms we have.....some for 20 years.....we've never had one die on us, no bugs, the birds love the fruit, and they provide very good shade when planted in a line. Some like the bottle palm are slow growing.....other, like the ?fruit palm? grow much faster. We have a row of fruit palm planted behind our guest bungalow......After 3 years, we've got excellent shade on that side of the place.
Attachments
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (6).png

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:37 am

Photo of the fruit palms behind our guest bungalow. The bungalow is 6 years old, the palms were planted a year or two after we built the bungalow. Not more than 200 baht per plant. They fruited last year, but this year, they really popped
Attachments
Screenshot (10).png

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:39 am

This bottle palm is about 12 years old
Attachments
Screenshot_20210425-090942_Gallery.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:46 am

This is a grove of red palm and Dracaena loureiroi (จันทร์แดง) that we've had growing for about 20 years. Red palms grow slower....but help accent all the green in the yard especially during rainy season.
Attachments
Screenshot (12).png

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:50 am

These red palm are about 5 years old.....bought 2 of them for about 500 baht each
Attachments
Screenshot (14).png

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 10:55 am

We had this palm growing in full sun for several years......it didn't do much. Then on a trip to Bangkok, we saw one growing well in full shade. We moved it to a spot just under a mature santol tree. That did the trick. This year it popped with fruit.
Attachments
Screenshot (16).png

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 25, 2021, 10:58 am

I’m envious of what I can see of your grass
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 25, 2021, 12:18 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 25, 2021, 10:10 am
Rick I am assuming you are using just good soil and lots of TLC, NOT liberally sprinkling fertiliser and other plant feed stuff so the plants you grow are strong and sturdy. May taker longer but a better cleaner plant
Good soil? I wish. I have one strip about five metres long and one metre wide, from a lorry load i had delivered some years ago. I dug out the old clay to half a metre deep and replaced it, it is soft and easy to work most of the time, and grows some crops quite well. Two other soil deliveries turned out to be worse than what was already there! Painstaking work on a similar sized plot, adding sand, compost, some pig manure and regular digging has given me a similar quality. The rest is clay (rock hard just now) or red stone as used for roads. Most of the garden floods after heavy rain for sometimes many days.
M-I-L doesn't understand compost - she throws tough grass with copious soil attached into the compost bin when she clears her Thai vegetable plot, or as mulch around the trees - result - grass takes over the compost bin, and fruit trees need lots more weeding. Leaves she burns or throws in the dustbin, I have to rescue composable material frequently. I only use organic fertilisers.

I consider growing anything in my soil to edible size a success, plenty of failures. This year did get reasonable quantities of dwarf beans, spinach, lettuce, red radish, carrots and beetroot. Also some corn, Okra and a few tomatoes (most tomatoes rot before going red, insect damage mainly).

Around our fish ponds soil is mainly clay as well, and it floods (2 years ago for some months). We did plant a lot of fruit trees but only mango has grown - rest dead or very sick. Just so much work (and money) to make anything productive. I dream of a garden like barney's!

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » April 25, 2021, 12:34 pm

"(most tomatoes rot before going red, insect damage mainly)."

Hi Rick,

Back in Kentucky we call, tomato rot prior to ripening, tomato end rot. It is caused by too acidic soil. If you can find some quick lime, powered lime, throw a hand full in when planting your tomatoes. Your mangoes look great. Regards

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2021, 1:06 pm

Niggly wrote:
April 25, 2021, 10:58 am
I’m envious of what I can see of your grass
When we first built at Kilo 18, our land was dirt and weeds. Not a speck of grass. Our then gardener/neighbor said he knew of a nearby area where malay grass grew naturally with the help of a small spring where water flowed up. He started cutting patches/plugs from there and, within a few years, our acre of land was sodded. We could have done the job faster by buying sod, but probably would have spent a fortune. The malay grass grows well......sun or shade.....but regular watering helps keep it green and spreading. The grass seems to be similar to a popular grass in Texas.....saint augustine.
Attachments
Screenshot (18).png

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 25, 2021, 2:19 pm

We paid a fortune for sods & despite Mrs Ns loving care most died &/or turned into weeds.

We’ve got a local Yai coming over nowadays & she’s doing everything manually from pulling the weeds by hand to transplanting bits of growing grass into different areas. She’s been more successful in getting it to grow in the last month than we’d been for the last year.
Still a long, long way to go though
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 1, 2021, 10:38 am

Finally getting some Mango's but It looks like I have two varieties

Long and Tapered (Green )

0 Farm Mangos 30 April 2021 (1a) (Large).jpg

0 Farm Mangos 30 April 2021 (2a) (Large).jpg

Slightly more Round Cashew Shape (A bit Pink)

0 Farm Mangos 30 April 2021 (2) (Large).jpg

0 Farm Mangos 30 April 2021 (6a) (Large).jpg

Farm Mangos 30 April 2021 (3a) (Large).jpg

Does anyone know the names of these Mango varieties

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 13, 2021, 6:13 pm

Boys are going gang busters with fencing around the back 2 rai. About 220 meters of fence. Nice and hot for them.
Planting of new fruit trees to follow.
Dam has been dug and filling and the solar pump to go in. Dam is used to grow snails at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 16, 2021, 6:05 pm

So the pond is nearly full at an early stage this year and the fish are a good size =D>

And the Tractor is doing his annual job, before the start the planting the rice \:D/ \:D/

On the Farm 16 May 2021 (1a) (Large).jpg

On the Farm 16 May 2021 (1b) (Large).jpg

On the Farm 16 May 2021 (1c) (Large).jpg

On the Farm 16 May 2021 (2a) (Large).jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 21, 2021, 1:26 pm

Well fencing complete and news new load of straw for mulch cover for the trees when planted.
But we have 2 new girls moved in with the family and both are pregnant. So soon to be 4 extra mouths to feed.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 21, 2021, 4:29 pm

Do I see a Factory starting up "Barney's Goat Cheese" to rival this one

Marinated Goat Cheese.jpeg

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 9, 2021, 7:35 pm

The Before and After of my hedge

BEFORE: April 2019

First Planted Soi 4 Garden Hedge 03 April 2019 (1) (Large).jpg

AFTER: Today June 2021 \:D/ \:D/

00 Soi 4 Garden  Hedge 09 June 2021 (1) (Large).jpg

00 Soi 4 Garden  Hedge 09 June 2021 (2) (Large).jpg

00 Soi 4 Garden  Hedge 09 June 2021 (3) (Large).jpg

Just have to wait, sometimes. :-k A good solid rainfall goes a long way to helping it all grow.

When I get back, the aim is to populate behind the hedge, with some multi colored Hydrangeas, between the Palms.

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 15, 2021, 8:44 am

That looks a very neat garden pip.
More landscaping thought than my little jungle. But I don’t get involved with where it’s all placed.
After the recent rains my girl is busy with her hobby by getting her plants potted and together for sale at the market. All very green like everyone’s gardens.
My first real Aussie style mango tree is being picked. I was told Mai alloy, to sweet for Thai but now all the Thais want more.
They are of good size.
Snails are almost to size and ready for harvest and sale as well.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 15, 2021, 2:28 pm

Hi Barney

Just a natural slow progression of the garden areas to the rear of the House. It took that part of the Hedge 2 years to grow. Other hedge areas are way behind. I just keep planting in the areas along the boundary walls. I don't have lawn laid yet in this area. That will come in a few years time.

Your mangos look huge compared to mine. Must be a different variety

pipoz4444

Return to “House & Land”