Land Tax

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Land Tax

Post by FrazeeDK » August 5, 2020, 9:29 am

Land tax notices are going out, at least from Nong Bua Tessaban. This is a follow on to initial letters that went out to land owners several months ago that showed the property size and recorded buildings on it.. Owners were notified to verify the information and go to the Tessaban if anything needed to be changed and not if all was OK. It also said the tax assessments were being done and owners would be notified by mail of the assessed value and tax due. That is now happening.

The land assessments are pretty high.. My wife takes care of tax payments for a friend out of country who owns 7 rai of undeveloped land on the east side. The Assessment for that land says it is worth just under 7 million baht.. That is based on recent land sales in our area east of the Ring Road near the Horse Racing course.. The tax for that land was 1329 Baht with a warning that if the land was not "developed" in some fashion the tax next year would be around 10,000 baht and go up each year that it wasn't developed.. The land next to that plot is another 7 rai of land but the owner has had it plowed and planted with banana trees to "develop" it agriculturally which keeps the tax very low.. If you develop the land the Tessaban tax authorities want pictures then schedule an inspection to verify the land is now developed.

We have 3 rai 97 talang wah of developed land with two houses on it.. The assessed value of the land and houses was just over six million baht. The tax for developed land with houses is low. Our "normal" tax would be around 200 baht but this year the government's COVID legislation means instead it was a whopping 35 baht...

watch your mailboxes for the tax assessment and bill..

BTW, the payment process is paperwork intensive with ledgers, receipts and computer entries.. To pay for her friend's tax and our land tax took over an hour an a half.. Also there was no cashier facility there.. The 3-4 people processing payments all had pouches of cash and change.. I really don't understand why the process isn't automated with customers being able to show their assessment and bill, get a printed bill and pay at a central cashier.. Sure would simplify things....

Dave

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: Land Tax

Post by pipoz4444 » August 5, 2020, 10:44 am

Thanks FrazeeDK, its good to know, as I am out of the country.

I suppose they give you a month or two to pay the tax?

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2020, 11:17 am

Thanks for the heads-up DK.

Gonna bulldoze the squatters pile and grow bananas and mangos and save on the tax. They can sling their hammocks between them. I'll keep the shed at the back for myself.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 5, 2020, 12:31 pm

pipoz.. I think you could go in a year late, pay it and only get nicked with a small penalty. They swore my wife didn't pay last year and she couldn't find the pink receipt.. She paid the 2019 tax (194 baht) along with the reduced 2020 tax.. I don't think they had a penalty but for that low a tax we wouldn't complain if they did...
Dave

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 6, 2020, 8:10 am

what status of land are you talking about FDK?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 8:28 am

I would think it's all land, agricultural, residential, developed and undeveloped. I'll get Mrs tam onto it.

I recall maybe 10 years ago a similar tax assessment/purge was announced for Nongprue, Pattaya. A whole lot of farangs with vacant plots in their Isaan princesses names were upset when spouses started asking for more money to pay for something they couldn't properly explain. The pressure was really on those Thai property speculators with vast, undeveloped tracts in the hinterlands.

Back on topic, maybe with land expropriation associated with the ring road expansion in the pipeline, good for the Tessaban to have a base value per drangwah that they can screw landowners out of it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 3:57 pm

Mrs tam confirmed our tax assessment was around 'one hundred and something' baht.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 6, 2020, 4:08 pm

THere ya go Tam
Thats a load off of your mind!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 4:48 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 6, 2020, 4:08 pm
THere ya go Tam
Thats a load off of your mind!!
Not really. Now I have to find another excuse for getting rid of the squatters while still maintaining plausible deniability.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 7, 2020, 1:54 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 5, 2020, 12:31 pm
pipoz.. I think you could go in a year late, pay it and only get nicked with a small penalty. They swore my wife didn't pay last year and she couldn't find the pink receipt.. She paid the 2019 tax (194 baht) along with the reduced 2020 tax.. I don't think they had a penalty but for that low a tax we wouldn't complain if they did...
Thanks FDK, as it is likely to take me another 6 months before I can set foot in Thailand, the way the C 19 restrictions are at both ends of the world. Plus it doesn't look like a big cost.

Do you know where you neet to go to pay it in Udon Thani?

Is it to be paid only at the Udon Lands Department?

Pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 8, 2020, 6:25 pm

We live on the east side of Tambon Nong Bua outside of the Ring Road. The Tambon office, the Tessaban has a land tax office that does the assessment, prepares all the paperwork and takes payment.. All Tambons have their District Office which likely does the same tax services for their land owners. I reckon the only Land Office interaction with the Tessaban would be to provide them with a land title list of owners and current land price transactions to determine approximate land value. I've no idea how they determined the value of the houses on our land. The said one was worth about 600,000 baht and our larger 13 year old western style house 840,000 baht.. Since they didn't do an in-person physical inspection of the houses it leads me to believe they base it on approximate square meters and age of the house.
Dave

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 10, 2020, 6:54 am

Papa got his land tax bill..he has a standard two storey dark wood rusty roof thai thing, value 13,000, tax 3 baht

Return to “House & Land”