water meter info

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

water meter info

Post by FrazeeDK » July 15, 2022, 9:46 am

I've a problem with low pressure on my city water. It is not the main because a neighbor just down the street had their line break recently and it was shooting a couple of meters in the air. I'm wondering if the vampire fitting into the main might be blocked or something in the meter. I used to have good pressure. I cut my side of the line and I have valving allowing me to backwash that with my pump. No issues. anybody know what the #1 marked element of the water meter is? Possibly a backpressure valve? Mine has a small locking nut holding the larger nut that appears to be removable.. Perhaps crud either side of the meter is restricting flow...

water meter.JPG

Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: water meter info

Post by tamada » July 15, 2022, 11:35 am

I think that #1 is a non-return valve? I have one on my water tank system so if I lose electrical (pump) power, city water can still have some low-pressure water on the lower faucets... if there's enough pressure.

If it's on the water company's side of the meter, it's theirs to check and or replace. If it's on the consumer side, you can check or replace it.
nrv.jpg
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 15, 2022, 11:46 am

this is an easy one , disconnect the input line from the meter , if the pressure is not ok it is a supply line problem , if good reconnect the meter en disconnect the output and valve , if the flow is not ok , meter problem ,if the flow is ok , reconnect the valve, if pressure not ok , valve problem if pressure ok problem with your supply line to the house ... ;)
IMG_20220715_113602[1] (Copy).jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2022, 11:56 am

kopkei wrote:
July 15, 2022, 11:46 am
this is an easy one , disconnect the input line from the meter , if the pressure is not ok it is a supply line problem , if good reconnect the meter en disconnect the output and valve , if the flow is not ok , meter problem ,if the flow is ok , reconnect the valve, if pressure not ok , valve problem if pressure ok problem with your supply line to the house ... ;)
IMG_20220715_113602[1] (Copy).jpg
Good tip.

I just had a look at our meter and the water co's seals are on the meter connections so nothing can be disconnected there. However, the consumer side has the NRV and house inlet pipe on nipples so that can be separated and flow checked as suggested by kopkei. If there's plenty of pressure coming out of the meter and going into the NRV, the issue is on the consumer-side, possibly stuck or silted-up NRV. If the pressure is low coming out of the meter, call the water co.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 15, 2022, 4:06 pm

great nephew called PWA this afternoon. Truck showed up 15 minutes ago with a tech and an apprentice. They removed the meter, Check valve and found lots of crud restricting the flow.. Cleared it all, put it back together, a salute (no charge) and on their way.. The flow is perhaps 5 times better but not blasting.. No way I could use it on a daily basis directly into the house.. It fillls our 1100 liter tank and thence into a house demand pump.. But, for power outages the flow into the house is enough to wash your hands, fill the toilets but no showers... I still think there is an obstruction in the vampire fitting into the main line given that my neighbor has enough pressure to feed his shower on the 2nd floor directly... Guess I won't look a gift horse in the mouth...
Dave

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 15, 2022, 7:21 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
July 15, 2022, 4:06 pm
But, for power outages the flow into the house is enough to wash your hands, fill the toilets but no showers...
Even though the wife completely remodeled house with two "modern" bathrooms, she stills keeps the large brown plastic container in one bathroom full of water for the quick "shower" when no power for the pump.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 16, 2022, 9:26 am

we've got an "outside" bathroom with a 80 liter trashcan with lid full of clean water for such emergencies.. I still think the lack of pressure given our neighbor having enough pressure to push water to his 2nd floor shower is a clog on the vampire fitting going into the main pipe on the PWA side of the meter. Its only a short perhaps 30-40cm pipe from the meter down to the main...
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2022, 12:20 pm

I had to google 'vampire fitting'.
vampire fitting.jpg
Dracula connector?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~