European Super League - Stillborn

General sports news and discussions.
tamada
udonmap.com

European Super League - Stillborn

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 7:43 am

Sh*t started hitting the footie fan late last night with the EPL's "top six" teams agreeing to join the European Super League that plans to have Europe's top-flight teams playing mid-week games.

Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham are the ones agreeing to forego the EPL for this money spinner along with 3 La Liga and 3 Serie A teams.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... per-league
Last edited by tamada on April 21, 2021, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: European Super League - 6 EPL teams sign on.

Post by Khun Paul » April 19, 2021, 7:50 am

I do not follow football, but feel this will be a move just to increase revenue and nothing at all to do with Football excellence and more costly for the Fans . I amy be wrong but surely one can only play so many games in a season and if FiFA and local Football associations disagree, then those clubs will be out on a limb .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 7:59 am

tamada wrote:
April 19, 2021, 7:43 am
Sh*t started hitting the footie fan late last night with the EPL's "top six" teams agreeing to join the European Super League that plans to have Europe's top-flight teams playing mid-week games.

Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham are the ones agreeing to forego the EPL for this money spinner along with 3 La Liga and 3 Serie A teams.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... per-league
This was rumoured quite a while back but never got off the ground ..looks like maybe this time it will..

will the EPL kick out these clubs ?? as they have stated ... how would the EPL look /survive without these 6 ?? and
sad for the smaller clubs remaining in the EPL like Leeds , Everton and Newcastle and even more devastating for grass roots clubs like Scunthorpe working hard and so close to getting into the EPL

MONEY MONEY MONEY .. thats all this is about not saving the game as being commented by the clubs joining.

Very sad if it happens...will UK fans boycott these teams ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 8:42 am

^ Good phone-in commentary on this matter right now on BBC 5 Live with Dotun Adebayo.

FWIW, he hosts the weekly "World Football Phone-in" every Tuesday morning, 2 am - 4 am UK time that makes for great breakfast time listening here in Thailand. Tomorrow's show will most certainly be discussing this footie development.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 8:53 am

maybe a name change may suffice ..

the NOT SO English Premier League

Its been long known that the 6 mega clubs itching to jump ship dont give a toss about those around them and the survival of smaller FL clubs ..the BS that this is about saving the game and football excellence is a piss take.

How boring would this Super league be to watch the same clubs playing each other , no teams like Burnley , Norwich , Brighton Leeds etc to cause a stir as an underdog .. promotion from the now Championship would not mean as much surely if the EPL chuck these renegades out.

Remaining claret n Blue all way thru regardless of what league my team are in .

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 9:15 am

The money that these 12 teams plan on raking in is truly eye-watering.

If the EPL kicks them out, that's less revenue to spread around the rest of the EPL and trickling further down the leagues. Without the top six, would the toon STILL be fighting relegation? Would Everton EVER finish above mid-table?

What happens to the system of loaning players out that's key to young player development? If it was in effect right now, the Hammers would lose their key playmaker. How many others would have to give up great starting opportunities and return to being a "#4" pick on a bench?

I think it's pretty much a given that the EPL is the jewel in the European footie crown. Players aspire to play in the EPL. Having these 6 teams play more games against these teams that play in arguably less competitive, less sophisticated and less monied leagues can only dumb-down the game rather than boost the quality and appeal of a few Spanish and Italian teams.

Notable to see PSG and Bayern are against this super league nonsense despite the big money carrot being dangled here.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 19, 2021, 9:16 am

Can't see it happening. Disgusted by all six clubs. If it does go ahead the fan base for those clubs will disappear.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 9:41 am

Galee wrote:
April 19, 2021, 9:16 am
Can't see it happening. Disgusted by all six clubs. If it does go ahead the fan base for those clubs will disappear.
Agree to a certain extent Gallee ..the UK fan base would diminish but dont think worldwide would effect it .. maybe even more truck stickers sold who knows.

I was thinking of other SO CALLED mega clubs that could be asked to join in ..came up with

Bayern M
PSG
after that ????

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 10:49 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 19, 2021, 9:41 am
Galee wrote:
April 19, 2021, 9:16 am
Agree to a certain extent Gallee ..the UK fan base would diminish but dont think worldwide would effect it .. maybe even more truck stickers sold who knows.

I was thinking of other SO CALLED mega clubs that could be asked to join in ..came up with

Bayern M
PSG
after that ????

DM
Bayern and PSG have both declined to sign up for this Super League.

...for now.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 19, 2021, 11:50 am

Could Rangers & Celtic now join the EPL to bolster numbers?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 12:00 pm

Celtic n Rangers are IMO L1 level so let em be put in there first .. see how they get on ... they would be mid table Championship sides at best .. the with the big 6 thrown out of the EPL become yoyo teams championship /EPL similar to Fulhan West Brom .. i would take them a few seasons to catch up with the upgrade in the football levels currently a huge gap between Jock footy and English ..thats plain to see.

Im sure Bayern n PSG will join with the crazy money on the hook.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 12:15 pm

Niggly wrote:
April 19, 2021, 11:50 am
They would need six teams to fill the void. I nominate Clachancuddin, Brora Rangers, Inverurie Locos, Nairn County, Peterhead and of course Fort William. Stick two of each in the Championship, League 1 and League 2. Leave the EPL as-is and unvarnished by superior Scottish Highland football prowess and watch the 'minor' leagues catch up.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 12:17 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 19, 2021, 12:00 pm
Celtic n Rangers are IMO L1 level so let em be put in there first .. see how they get on ... they would be mid table Championship sides at best .. the with the big 6 thrown out of the EPL become yoyo teams championship /EPL similar to Fulhan West Brom .. i would take them a few seasons to catch up with the upgrade in the football levels currently a huge gap between Jock footy and English ..thats plain to see.

Im sure Bayern n PSG will join with the crazy money on the hook.

DM
I reckon the gap you refer to is only exceeded by the space between your ears.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 19, 2021, 12:45 pm

tamada wrote:
April 19, 2021, 12:15 pm
Niggly wrote:
April 19, 2021, 11:50 am
They would need six teams to fill the void. I nominate Clachancuddin, Brora Rangers, Inverurie Locos, Nairn County, Peterhead and of course Fort William. Stick two of each in the Championship, League 1 and League 2. Leave the EPL as-is and unvarnished by superior Scottish Highland football prowess and watch the 'minor' leagues catch up.
Agreed. It could keep being called the English Premier Leagle to save all the rebranding with the advantage of p!ssing off wee Jimmy Krankie too

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 5:26 pm

the new proposed Super league wont effect Jose Mourinho .. as hes just been sacked by Spurs .. no surprise really .. the door creaks open for a Harry Kane transfer .

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 19, 2021, 8:57 pm

Bayern & BVB can't join as they would need the backing of the fans (all clubs in Bundesliga are 51% minimum fan owned)
PSG cannot join as their owners have too many "irons" in the wrong camp (Be-In Worldwide TV rights etc)
Ajax cant join as they are already legally committed to the future Benelux league

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 20, 2021, 6:03 am

It won't happen and there will be a compromise over the new format of the UEFA Champions League.
Stand easy....
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 20, 2021, 6:31 am

The billionaire owners probably thought this open invitation for other European teams to pad out their fanciful "league of dreams" would be sweetened by already having the six EPL teams already onboard. However, the thought of thrashing Arsenal at the Emirates every third Wednesday of the month obviously didn't appeal to Fenerbahçe.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 20, 2021, 7:10 am

Zidane wrote:
April 20, 2021, 6:03 am
It won't happen and there will be a compromise over the new format of the UEFA Champions League.
Stand easy....
That is a distinct possibility Zid .. following this on timeline on the net details are starting to emerge with the EPL , FIFA N UEFA all kicking off stating the teams involved would be kicked out the EPL and players banned from all other football tournaments including national level.. its obvious this is all about the money not the excellence of football .. the football pyramid base from grass roots up would crumble bringing the whole game down.. for once even Rio Ferdinand got it right .. its a disgrace the club OWNERS doing dodgy deals without managers , players n staff informed .

Sad times indeed ..IF IT HAPPENS

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 20, 2021, 7:24 am

Tottenham joining a European super league is like Bananaman getting called up to The Avengers

Return to “World Sports”