udonmap.com

European Club Football 2010/2011 season

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2011, 7:52 am

Thursday, 7 April 2011 Uefa Europa League
Benfica 4-1 PSV Eindhoven
Dynamo Kiev 1-1 Braga
FC Porto 5-1 Spartak Moscow
Villarreal 5-1 FC Twente
Well the 'junior' European competition does not get two days to complete it's quartter finals, they all have to be compressed into 1.. :D
Remarkably near enough the same pattern of results as the Cup though.
3 of them really well & truly over at 'half time' in the two legs, one very much in the balance..
Also, as with the Cup where two Spanish sides look odds on to be completing in a semi-final, here it is two Portuguese clubs that look certainties.

Porto are hugely ahead in the Portuguese Liga Sagres table & continued that sort of form last night with a 5 - 1 thrashing of Spartak.
Benfica are a long distant second in that league (& yet 15 points clear of 3rd.) & they demolished PSV by 4 goals to 1.
The Spanish survivor shined in this contest as well, with a comfortable 4 goal cushion to take back to Holland.
Braga have the advantage of scoring an away goal in the draw against Kiev. I must admit that result rather surprised me as I expected Moscow to move quite comfortably into the semi-final..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 12, 2011, 11:00 am

Tuesday, 12 April 2011 Uefa Champions League
Man Utd v Chelsea, (agg 1-0), QFL1, L2, 19:45
Shakhtar Donetsk v Barcelona, (agg 1-5), QFL1, L2, 19:45
The only quarter final with both sides still believing that they can win takes place at Old Trafford tonight.
Still too close to call, although United probably had the easier passage over the weekend games, neither side exactly dominated their games.
Rafael looks like the only United player who would have got a game if fit, missing. The return to fitness & back to quality from Valencia is a major plus for United...
To Torres or not remains the question for Chelsea.
In a game where who ever scores first probably progresses it will be interesting to see the attacking intent of both sides...

It has been a strange season for results all around Europe. You have to feel that even with that thought for Barcelona to concede 4 goals while scoring none would be a very strange result indeed. I fancy that Shakhtar will give them a far closer game at home than in the first leg, however I can't see that Barca will ever look in danger of going out!! :D

crocodile ian
udonmap.com

Post by crocodile ian » April 12, 2011, 12:58 pm

bob i have to correct you there it seem s those poor deluded yids still think they can turn a 4 o loss around .....now admitadly my team arsenal went out to barca ....wether vanpersie being sent of at would have changed the game in barcas favour will be a talking point ...the truth was we were not good enought ....chelsea are good enought to win this competion ...but sadly to say on there day barca are champions ........spurs who i detest with a passion actually have a good squad and also were capable to go to maybe the final ...but after crouch wrongly or wrightly got sent of there hopes all but dissapeared ....but to say ,,,,chelsea and man u are the only 2 teams that think the can go on ..is wrong ...just ask that dick head rednapp ....or the poor deluded spurs fans ........lets see if they cam make the top 4 and ven get into europe ....champions man u runners up arsenal ..3rd chelsea 4th mancity ......sorry bob i no this was about tonights games ...didnt meant to hi jack it ...,,,but you got to love madrid if your a arsenal fan haha....so for me barca v man united at wembly could be a show piece ......i also feal that man city will have there day in the semi finals coming up this week end ...

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 12, 2011, 1:07 pm

Now I know what the two doormen are for Croc. Its to keep the Spurs fans out . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 13, 2011, 4:05 am

Manchester United 2 Chelsea 1 (aggregate 3-1)
Relatively comfortable tonight for United although Drogba gave Chelsea a glimmer of hope for 20 seconds in the 77th minute before Ji Sung Park made the tie safe straight after the equaliser.
Earlier Hernandez gave United the lead in the 43 minute.....
But United did just enough,much as they have done for most of the season.
For Chelsea Ramires was sent off in the second half and Lampard missed a great chance to level the tie in the first 15 minutes.
Strangely Chelsea started with Torres instead of Drogba (replaced at half time) and Anelka was taken off for Kalou on the hour mark......possibly injured ??
Van der Sar was once again superb for United in goal and Vidic was excellent covering for Ferdinand who was carrying an injury as early as the 5th minute......Ji Sung Park never stopped running and was rewarded with the winning goal on the night.

In the other tie it ended Shakhtar Donetsk 0 Barcelona 1 (aggregate 1-6)......Barcelona look a cut above the other teams left in the competition.

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » April 13, 2011, 6:52 am

Another good,early report Mr Z,Thats 1 blue dream crushed now lets sort out the other this weekend,by the way for those interested parties,the only other"BIG" game of the night ended Mighty Scunthorpe0-Reading2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards j.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 13, 2011, 7:54 am

Yes I will admit I enjoyed watching the Old Trafford game, even with the Chinese commentators.. :D
The goal by Park made it look like United could have scored at just about any time they wanted - or rather if necessary.
Rather Chelsea's season over now as they should cruise 3rd. in the title race without too much effort while 1st. & second are really outside the probabilities now.

The Torres Chelsea experiment rather looks in tatters as well. Drogba looked head & shoulders above his partner/rival in the 50% of the game that they both had. For all his flaws the man from the Ivory Coast is a real trier & willing to give it 100% even when it looks like being in a losing cause.
Hernandez has been a real find for United. He does not mind making runs all night for the one that comes off & is as cool when the opportunity presents itself as anyone in the Premiership.
Torres needs to study the game & pick up what he can from Drogba & Hernandez about playing for the team. Or he needs to depart in the summer towards another club who will centre their complete game around him.

The Barca score was about what I expected. As Zid says they are a class above anyone else in Europe.....but they were last year as well & yet failed to win this competition. I fancy that the Special One has magic in store again for this competition yet!!
Wednesday, 13 April 2011 Uefa Champions League
Schalke 04 v Inter Milan, (agg 5-2), QFL1, L2, 19:45
Tottenham v Real Madrid, (agg 0-4), QFL1, L2, 19:45
Both the games look over before the kick off.
I hear what Ian says about Spurs supporters believing that they can turn this around...All I will say is that the euphoria of getting to this stage in Europe is getting in the way of common sense if that is the case.
I think Spurs will have done remarkably well if they manage not to lose both legs....winning through to the next leg from this position would be an astounding achievement against probably the best manager in the world & a few of the best players from there as well!! :D

On paper the European winner should come from Spain, however I have never seen an Manchester United team who have won games in a season with quite such a poor squad of players. They have undoubtedly got better as the season progressed some of the younger players have made a serious mark on the squad.
I still think Chelsea, Arsenal & Manchester City probably have the edge on players of quality over United now. However that has not mattered when you look at the Premiership table, so maybe will not in Europe either!! :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 13, 2011, 8:24 am

You have to love Ryan Giggs. He is a delight to watch. Khun Helm the time is ripe for a Chaiyo!!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 13, 2011, 8:41 am

After the performance over the two legs it would indeed be cruel & unfair to deny you any joy Laan Yaa Mo. :D :D

As you say Ryan Giggs has probably had his best season for a number of years (I think he has had to though) & over the season it would be hard to pick a player who has contributed more to the team this year.
I thought he was a trifle fortunate to pick up the PFA player of the year in 2008/9 & felt it was awarded a little from nostalgia. I think this season he has been far more influential & has often carried the side forward on his own - especially at the start of the season..

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » April 13, 2011, 10:24 am

johnty. wrote:Another good,early report Mr Z,Thats 1 blue dream crushed now lets sort out the other this weekend,by the way for those interested parties,the only other"BIG" game of the night ended Mighty Scunthorpe0-Reading2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards j.
Thanks for that Johnty dont know wot i would do without your wit to keep me going ........ newsflash price increase on old english cider for selected customers haha onnee jesting.

Nice but very bias report Zid , looks like a runners up spot for Manu this season as they wont beat either of the Spanish sides remaining in the competion......... fact !! , i fancy Shalke to beat them anyway .

Mash ....... never bias as people frown and i quote scunny are down .

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 13, 2011, 11:32 am

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
Not sure but I think the best team won?. Fell asleep and didn't see the second half. :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » April 13, 2011, 11:45 am

I stayed up and watched it Galee , not a bad game even if wrong result (for you) maybe the mash kiss of death again as i id say to in the Clock Chelski would go thru , sorry mate.

I did notice for a multi multi billionaire that Russki fella dont smile a lot does he ?? HE SHOULD BUY SCUNNY . 10 bob should do the trick

crocodile ian
udonmap.com

Post by crocodile ian » April 13, 2011, 12:09 pm

pienmash wrote:I stayed up and watched it Galee , not a bad game even if wrong result (for you) maybe the mash kiss of death again as i id say to in the Clock Chelski would go thru , sorry mate.

I did notice for a multi multi billionaire that Russki fella dont smile a lot does he ?? HE SHOULD BUY SCUNNY . 10 bob should do the trick
stick to selling food football pundit you are not ....scunny fans shoud be like thai wifes SEEN BUT NO HERD ....dislike man united and chelsea but for differnt reasons ....so come on somebody else win it for the neutrals ...could it be a new name on the cup ....or is it simplly the usual suspects......is the final really the final or is it barca v madrid..........i would lay my house on madrid going through against spurs like most others......BUT BUT ...just a gooners luck that spurs will produce .....surley not ......did mosses part the sea ....did jesus turn water into wine ...does the easter bunny exist....has father christmas realy got a white beard ...did the cow jump over the moon ??????????? please madrid dont let harry s yids join the list of hmmm lets say mircals haha.....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 14, 2011, 7:32 am

Wednesday, 13 April 2011 Uefa Champions League
Schalke 04 2-1 Inter Milan (agg 7-3)
Tottenham 0-1 Real Madrid (agg 0-5)
All went very much as expected last night.
Schalke won a rather low key game at home against a Milan side who have not looked at all comfortable through this competition. Raul is having a second career in Germany & he was very much the man of the match. Milan huffed & puffed but never looked remotely likely of turning the first leg result around.

Schalke will be a stern test for United in the semi-finals, but certainly are beatable - they are currently only 9th. in the German League. Very much a 50-50 contest with a spark of genius probably enough to put either side through..

Spurs, similarly, never made the upset look likely. Madrid were just too knowledgeable & in control all night - as any side 4 goals up in a game should be. The 1 nil loss will undoubtedly be put down as a goalkeeping error but, in truth, Madrid only did enough to progress..

So the 'Spanish' semi-final will be be between probably the two best teams in Europe. Barca undoubtedly have the edge because of domestic results. However Mourinho has a wonderful record in this contest & will believe that he will be back at Wembley for the final. Both teams have winners in just about every position on the pitch...

Tonight the Europa ties are finished off...
Thursday, 14 April 2011 Uefa Europa League
Spartak Moscow v FC Porto, (agg 1-5), QF, L2, 18:00
Braga v Dynamo Kiev, (agg 1-1), QF, L2, 20:05
FC Twente v Villarreal, (agg 1-5), QF, L2, 20:05
PSV Eindhoven v Benfica, (agg 1-4), QF, L2, 20:05
As with the Cup games, 3 matches really finished after the first leg. I will be surprised if any of those 3 sides throw the game away in the second half. I expected Kiev to progress quite comfortably against Braga but it is all to play for now. Home advantage & with an away goal will make it a very tight & interesting game...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 14, 2011, 10:15 am

Bob,
I'm gonna stick my reputation on the line now,similar to you and mash,and predict that a Portugese side will reach the final of the UEFA Europa League and that a Spanish side will reach the final of the UEFA Champions League. 8)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 14, 2011, 11:21 am

Well you always were one to push the boundaries Zid... :D :D

p.s. I did say....
Also, as with the Cup where two Spanish sides look odds on to be completing in a semi-final, here it is two Portuguese clubs that look certainties.
on April 8, 2011, 7:52 am :-" :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 14, 2011, 2:13 pm

Aaaah.....have to admit I didnt spot that one,Uncle Bob :oops:
OK....I predict Liverpool wont be playing in either the Champions League or Europa League next season and Brighton wont be visiting Glandford Park next season for a league match ! :-$

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 15, 2011, 7:40 am

Thursday, 14 April 2011 Uefa Europa League
Braga 0-0 Dynamo Kiev (agg 1-1) (Braga win on away goals rule)
FC Twente 1-3 Villarreal (agg 2-8)
PSV Eindhoven 2-2 Benfica (agg 3-6)
Spartak Moscow 2-5 FC Porto (agg 3-10
Well 1 shock (I think) the rest really just going with the flow... :D
The shock - Kiev are out to Braga. Well they are 3rd. in the Portuguese League, but that is rather like being 3rd. in the Scottish Premiership. They are also a massive 31 points behind leaders Porto & 12 points behind second placed Benfica. A great result to keep the away side out for the 90 minutes, I have not read any reports yet but it must have been a pretty tense night!!

The 2 Portuguese sides above Braga in the league both rather cruised through. Benefica made match of the evening with a two all away draw but all the work of progressing had been done the week before. Porto carried on their great form with a demolition of Spartak. OK I guess the Russians didn't hold out any more hope than me that they could turn the tie around. However they have been (up unto the first Porto match) dominant in their European games this year. To lose after conceding 5 goals in both legs is a real footballing lesson.

So only Spaniards Villarreal can stop an all Portuguese final. I fancy that they have enough about them to do that as well.
Villarreal against Porto would be my tip for the final, but I am not brave enough to predict the winners out of those two. They are close enough matched to make it an interesting game & Porto have certainly shown in the quarter finals that they are not a team that looks to nick a goal & sit on the lead.. :D

The Europa Cup has been a real boost to Portuguese football this season, ironically at a time when the national team has taken rather a dip in form...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 26, 2011, 9:37 am

Tuesday, 26 April 2011 Uefa Champions League
Schalke 04 v Man Utd, SFL1, L1, 19:45
As expected being down to the last 4, a tough game for United.
Schalke are not exactly setting the German league on fire this season (they are 10th. of 18 teams in the Bundesliga) but they have been on fire in Europe. They have beaten every side that they have played at home this year. In addition they have Raul up front who has always been a man for the big occasion.
Worse, for United, they have never managed to beat a German side over two legs in this competition.
I expect United to lose the first leg but, hopefully, not by much.
I will not be surprised if the Old Trafford leg will be a tight affair also with United needing to score to win it. Sadly they have not exactly looked like taking their chances in front of goal this year. A cameo performance from Rooney could win either leg but those performances have been few & far between this season from him..

Return to “World Sports”