FA Cup

General sports news and discussions.
Galee
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by Galee » April 16, 2011, 3:59 pm

BobHelm wrote:Which is equally true for the prime site that the club would be selling in Stamford Bridge.
Very true if you were to build a new stadium the same size, which kind of defeats the object of moving. :D

grozza
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by grozza » April 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

come on ciddy,not looking good for the sky blues tonight or early morning oz time but you never know tevez massive loss but there gotta hit some form sooner or later,gets boring seeing the same teams winning all the time especially that red coloured team.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » April 16, 2011, 4:32 pm

Galee wrote: Very true if you were to build a new stadium the same size, which kind of defeats the object of moving. :D
I refer you to...
As the owner has spent £600 million in the last 7 years trying to buy success you would have thought he could have forked out a few quid for a half decent ground to fit all the 'Jonny come lately' new supporters in... :D
Plus the undeniable fact that the Gunners have managed to build a new stadium in London & actually make money out of the deal... :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » April 17, 2011, 7:05 am

The FA Cup
Man City 1-0 Man Utd
Not a classic or a feast of football by any means.
The result decided by a nicely taken goal by Toure after being gifted the ball by Carrick.
With Rooney & Tevez having to miss the game it rather gave the opportunity for Berbatov & Balotelli to show their worth. Both have very high personal opinions of what that is. After yesterdays' game I am still totally unsure. To say that neither had a good game would imply that either was actually involved in it. Apart from Berbatov missing a couple of gifts in the first half neither really ever was.
Scholes was sent off after Citi had scored to just about ensure that they would win, but I am not sure that either side really could say that they played well.
For United I would not be surprised if that is not one of the last appearances for Berbatov. After the Wembley showing they would be better off not playing him & coming up with a plan 'B' approach..
Citi can hardly rest on their laurels either. They will undoubtedly be favourites to win the final, however on this sort of form either Bolton or Stoke would be well convinced that they would be in with more than an even chance.
Citi must hope that the Tevez rumours of a summer move are just that. For all the money they have spent (& some of it rather well) they looked very lightweight up front.

I think that there will be a bit more about the second semi-final today. It is a close call game with both sides having a real chance to win it. I just hope that it will be a better game to watch than the Manchester derby was..

johnty.
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by johnty. » April 17, 2011, 8:17 am

Good report Bob,as always.Although i have supported M/u all my life(and born less than 4 miles from OT)i would still wish m/c all the best for the final,whatever happens the F.A.cup is going to the Northwest of England,not down there.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » April 18, 2011, 7:43 am

The FA Cup
Bolton 0-5 Stoke
Well I though this would be a close encounter with Bolton probably edging out the winner with a something like 2-1 scoreline. As it was it turned out to be an exhibition match for Stoke.
They were 3 goals up after 30 minutes & then won the second half 2-0 as well.. This will be their first ever FA Cup final & I am sure that they will enjoy their day. After watch the two matches Stoke have an even money chance against Citi in the finals. I imagine that they will have to work far harder for a goal against the Citi defence that it proved against the Bolton one though.
Bolton continually shot themselves in the foot at the back with some quite uncharacteristic defending that gifted the advantage to Stoke. However Stoke were cool enough on the afternoon to take anything that was offered.

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by stokiebaz » April 24, 2011, 11:46 pm

over the moon,an fa cup final at last and a good chance of europe next season even if we lose the final as long as man city finish 4th..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » May 14, 2011, 9:06 am

The FA Cup
Man City v Stoke, F, 15:00
Well after a season of battle the Final has eventually come.
A little off putting this year though in that it is not granted a day of football all to itself but is rather presented as an after the Lord Mayors' Show tacked on as an addendum to another Premiership weekend.
It is, without doubt, the best National Cup competition in the world & the final needs to be treated as such & played when the rest of the nations football teams do not. I sincerely hope that this is not the shape of things to come & just a one off because of National squad qualification games. As that is not a rare event I do hope that some thought will be put in place as how to honour the Cup Final more fittingly in the future.

As for the game itself then really it should be no contest & Citi should be practising their lap of honour with the cup. :D
However football games rarely work out like that in practice & Stoke are not lucky to be at the final, they are there on merit.
Citi have quickly put together one of the most solid defences in the Premiership but in Matthew Etherington & Jermaine Pennant Stoke have as consistent a pair of wingers as any side in the country. Jones has shown over the last couple of weeks that he knows where the net is as well. Much for Stoke depends on if Etherington is fit to play.
Citi will be hard to break down, but they are not exactly prolific in front of goal. If Tevez is not on the team sheet then they may find it difficult to find the back of the net themselves. Even if Tevez stays next year you feel that the owner will be splashing the cash on some assistance for him next season.
I just hope that the Final is a fitting display of football..

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

FA Cup

Post by pienmash » May 14, 2011, 10:13 am

Carmon the Potters

vlad
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by vlad » May 14, 2011, 3:00 pm

My money's on Stoke to pie I think there grit and determination will see them through.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » May 14, 2011, 11:16 pm

The FA Cup
Man City 1-0 Stoke
So Citi get some silverware for all their millions expended.
Probably a fair result on the balance of the game. Neither side had a huge amount of chances but Citi probably had the edge & the better ones.
Not the most riveting game I have watched this year but Stoke were always in it with a chance right up until they conceded.
Certainly a game that showed that Citi had spent well in defence, have an average Premiership midfield & are still looking for inspiration up front.
Commiserations to any Stoke fans & congratulation to Citi (see you for the Charity Shield in August :D ).

Zidane
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by Zidane » May 15, 2011, 10:25 am

Not such a great game.Stoke never really got going and only had one goal attempt all afternoon.
Sorensen kept them in the game with some excellent saves but,at least,Stoke have the consolation of knowing they will be in the UEFA League next season.

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by stokiebaz » May 16, 2011, 7:54 pm

I was dissapointed but we had to many injuries in the build up.but still happy a cup final,another season in the prem and into europa league next season.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

FA Cup

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2011, 8:03 pm

stokiebaz wrote:I was dissapointed but we had to many injuries in the build up.but still happy a cup final,another season in the prem and into europa league next season.

I think you would have thought you were dreaming if someone had told you that at the start of the season Bas.. :D
9th. in the Premiership & that did not flatter them. They have looked competitive all season, except, sadly, in the Final of the Cup. Strange how these things happen, especially after the way that they destroyed Bolton in the semi-final.

Return to “World Sports”