Aussie Rules Football

General sports news and discussions.
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by mathusalah80 » January 31, 2014, 1:09 pm

by jackspratt » January 30, 2014, 8:26 pm

Darren Glass re-appointed as Eagles captain - well deserved, and a great leader.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... s-captain/

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by mathusalah80 » January 31, 2014, 1:12 pm

by Brad Sanderson » January 30, 2014, 7:25 pm

Yah, I gotta go with the Broncos over the Seahawks. Peyton Manning is just too tough a QB to not win this one.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2014, 9:31 pm

Has "English football", aka "soccer" become a protected species? :-k :D

Could the Superbowl, (which is football, but not soccer, nor Aussie Rules Football) possibly end with 0-0 scoreline? :roll:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by BobHelm » January 31, 2014, 10:03 pm

Oh dear Jack for one always wanting to be so terminologically correct you have not got this one at all have you?
It is not soccer it is Association Football - usually called FOOTBALL by those that play & watch it.
That is..
It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world's most popular sport.
That a couple of countries attempted to invent another sport & couldn't come up with an appropriate name is not a fault of FOOTBALL, but of its' imitators. :D :D
As football was named & played back nearly 1,000 years before anyone from the West happened on either the American or Australian continents it is hardly likely that either country has precedence on the name.. :D :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2014, 10:37 pm

BobHelm wrote:Oh dear Jack for one always wanting to be so terminologically correct you have not got this one at all have you?
It is not soccer it is Association Football - usually called FOOTBALL by those that play & watch it.
That is..
It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world's most popular sport.
That a couple of countries attempted to invent another sport & couldn't come up with an appropriate name is not a fault of FOOTBALL, but of its' imitators. :D :D
As football was named & played back nearly 1,000 years before anyone from the West happened on either the American or Australian continents it is hardly likely that either country has precedence on the name.. :D :D
Thank you for the update Bob.

So we can assume, if the thread started on 14 July 2013 (by I can't remember who for the moment) had been titled - to be terminologically correct - "Association Football Rumours Mark 2", all the ensuing confusion could have been avoided? :D (Is it too late for the Mods to amend the misleading title?)

ps I note (according to wiki) that Aussie Rules was first codified in 1859, whereas that relative newcomer, Association Football (of the Pommie variety - I imagine the Chinese got in earlier) didn't get its act together until some time later - 1863, when the "Football Association" was formed.

Perhaps Brad could now chime in, and speculate whether the Superbowl, or any regular season game of professional American football for that matter, could ever end with a 0-0 scoreline. Certainly couldn't for Aussie Rules :-k

pps I apologise profusely if I am starting to sound like m80 - something which I am studiously trying to avoid. :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by BobHelm » January 31, 2014, 11:03 pm

But you are forgetting (rather conveniently Jack) my explanation of why the NEW thread was formed.
It was a replacement for the old thread (also started by me) dated May 24, 2008, 1:07 pm.
That & the replacement one ran solely on FOOTBALL related matters until today... Wonder why it took you so long to have an interest in it?? In total there were over 3.500 football related posts, not 1 about any other code with over 100,00 views..

While the final Association & set of rules for the game may have been formed in the 1800s there are reports of the game (in England) from the 1300s...By 1602 the game was being played & written about. The description of the game is clearly FOOTBALL as seen today..

Even in its; early days the game in Australia never appeared to be known by the word FOOTBALL, from the Association you quote it was known as Melbourne rules & other names appeared to follow that..

Just as a mater of interest (as I have named the number of players & countries of football) what are the figures for Aussie Rules??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2014, 11:32 pm

jackspratt wrote: So we can assume, if the thread started on 14 July 2013 (by I can't remember who for the moment) had been titled - to be terminologically correct - "Association Football Rumours Mark 2", all the ensuing confusion could have been avoided? :D (Is it too late for the Mods to amend the misleading title?)
So I guess that is a NO. :?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by BobHelm » February 1, 2014, 12:00 am

As only you seem to be confused by the title you think it is worth attempting to change 520 posts over 35 pages...

I guess it is rather like when people ask you to change your avatar jack.. :D

You have still not answered my question though.. :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by marjamlew » February 1, 2014, 5:16 am

'I watched the footy last night.' Means different things in different places: aussie rules, rugby, league, soccer, gridion. Any others? All equally valid depending if you are in Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, London or Boston.
Carn the scray....
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by marjamlew » February 1, 2014, 5:31 am

And in Aussie Rules the only way you can score a goal is by kicking the ball. The real football. .55555
Carn the scray
Watch Me!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by BobHelm » February 1, 2014, 7:13 am

What happens if an opponent kicks the ball, you turn your back & it rebounds off that over the bar Lew??
Genuine question..

I like watching Aussie Rules it is a swift, tough, physically demanding game with plenty of action & flair. However if any Australian mentions Football any where in the world except Australia it is not the game the others will be discussing.. :D

Paladin
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by Paladin » February 1, 2014, 8:04 am

There is no Bar across the Goal line in Aussie Rules Football Bob

Paladin
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by Paladin » February 1, 2014, 8:12 am

A Collingwood supporter went into the Library and asked the Librarian for a piece of Fish and some Chips. The Librarian asked him as this was a Library to keep his voice down low, So he whispered "Piece of Fish and some Chips"

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by marjamlew » February 1, 2014, 8:28 am

As stated Bob no cross bar just the parallel posts. If a defender kicks the ball and it deflects off another player across the goal line its a behind (1 point). A goal (6 points) can't be touched.
Your football Bob is referred to here now as 'world football, ' or the ' world game. ' We respect that and I love it but I don't bleed it.
And I also forgot Gaelic Football a great game and the father of Aussie Rules.
Carn the scray.
Watch Me!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by BobHelm » February 1, 2014, 8:54 am

marjamlew wrote:And I also forgot Gaelic Football a great game and the father of Aussie Rules.
Thanks guys...

The above is a point of much speculation I think Lew. I got involved in a debate about the origins of Aussie Rules on another Forum.
It seems that Aussie Rules was actually codified some 30 years before its' Gaelic equivalent. Not that maybe too much can be read into that as (with all respect :D ) the Irish are possibly not quite so hung up on official rules as the English are, especially in Victorian times - the Queen, not the State.. :D
It does appear to have been 'born' in the English public schools in Melbourne. Whether that was some sort of rugby hybrid or Irish influenced is, I think, anyones' guess though. Certainly the only sportsmen outside Australia who seem able to move to the code successfully seem to be from a Gaelic football background.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by marjamlew » February 1, 2014, 9:12 am

Another point of order is that Aussie Rules is only footy for half of Australia. In qld and nsw rugby league is footy. The true believers in that divide have pretty much total contempt for the other game too.
Watch Me!!

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by mathusalah80 » February 1, 2014, 12:20 pm

Bob wrote: Just as a mater of interest (as I have named the number of players & countries of football) what are the figures for Aussie Rules??
Can answer you in part. There are approximately 420,000 registered players in Oz. In structured competitions covering some 32 other countries, ( although predominantly PNG,NZ,SA,parts of Asia and, I think surprisingly North America), there are approximately 35,000 regstered players. The average spectator attendances at senior AFL games in Oz approximates 20,000,.This is a little misleading since attendances are substantially higher in Victoria, (the 'Home" of Ozzie Rules), then other states.
As marjamlew rightly stated, Queensland & NSW are heavily into Rugby League, with the locals showing relatively scant interest in the AFL. Over the past couple of decades, both spectator attendances and player numbers have declined to a degree causing the AFL governing body considerable alarm. So also, stemming from 'parent pressure' many educational institutes nationwide have changed over from AFL to Association( :lol: ) Football , and it is to this code that Oz Rules continues to lose out.
This is particuarly so in my home State of WA. Scots College, one of the States most prestigious, was the courageous leader in WA in making this change, remarkably as early as around the early/mid 1980s. In fact the English FA, in partnership with Rothmans commenced conducting residential Basic & Senior Badge coaching courses at the college around '85. Anecdotally, Worthington was the FA representative in control at the two courses I undertook, although the then WA State Coach was the person who did most of the work. Ancients, like Bob \:D/ , might remember Ron Tindall who represented Portsmouth, (and Spurs?), and also played a few games for England?

The Pratt wrote:I apologise profusely if I am starting to sound like m80 - something which I am studiously trying to avoid.
](*,) :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by jackspratt » February 1, 2014, 1:25 pm

mathusalah80 wrote: The average spectator attendances at senior AFL games in Oz approximates 20,000,.This is a little misleading since attendances are substantially higher in Victoria, (the 'Home" of Ozzie Rules), then other states.
As marjamlew rightly stated, Queensland & NSW are heavily into Rugby League, with the locals showing relatively scant interest in the AFL. Over the past couple of decades, both spectator attendances and player numbers have declined to a degree causing the AFL governing body considerable alarm.
Hmmm......... :-k ............... [-(

In the 20 years from 1993, average AFL home and away attendances have risen by 15.2% (from 27,903 to 32,163).

This is rather skewed by the introduction 2 expansion teams (Gold Coast and Western Sydney) and their less than average support in the traditional rugby league states of Queensland and NSW.

In the period 1993 -2010 (before the expansion teams), H&A average attendances rose by 32.2% (from 27,903 to 36,908).

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

The skewing effect can be seen here (GC & GW):

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/yearly.html

Very misleading, I would postulate.

Note: Fremantle joined in 1995, and Port Adelaide in 1997, but their averages have always been >20,000. Fitzroy were tossed in 1996, and their average was just about always <20,000.
mathusalah80 wrote: So also, stemming from 'parent pressure' many educational institutes nationwide have changed over from AFL to Association( :lol: ) Football , and it is to this code that Oz Rules continues to lose out.
This is particuarly so in my home State of WA. Scots College, one of the States most prestigious, was the courageous leader in WA in making this change, remarkably as early as around the early/mid 1980s.
Taken from the Scotch College website, which shows it offers the following range of sports (my added emphasis):
In addition to the Physical Education programme the boys from Years 5 to Year 12 choose a seasonal sport. There are a great range of sports to choose from including Basketball, Cricket, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo, Volleyball, Tennis, Sailing, Physical Theatre, Strength & Conditioning, Badminton, Cross Country, Football, Hockey, Rugby, Soccer. Mod-Cross (modified lacrosse) or Flipper-Ball (a form of Water Polo) are also offered in the younger years.
http://www.scotch.wa.edu.au/view/psa-sport

No mention of:
mathusalah80 wrote:Association( :lol: ) Football
:shock:
mathusalah80 wrote:The Pratt wrote:I apologise profusely if I am starting to sound like m80 - something which I am studiously trying to avoid.
With reasons becoming even clearer. :D
Attachments
Scotch Football.jpeg
Scotch Football.jpeg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 800 times

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by marjamlew » February 1, 2014, 1:49 pm

Before the two expansion teams entered, the AFL was consistently 3rd behind the NFL and the Bundesleaga when it came to average regular season attendances at approx 38,000.
Carn the scray.
Watch Me!!

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Aussie Rules Football

Post by mathusalah80 » February 1, 2014, 1:54 pm

jackspratt wrote:
mathusalah80 wrote: The average spectator attendances at senior AFL games in Oz approximates 20,000,.This is a little misleading since attendances are substantially higher in Victoria, (the 'Home" of Ozzie Rules), then other states.
As marjamlew rightly stated, Queensland & NSW are heavily into Rugby League, with the locals showing relatively scant interest in the AFL. Over the past couple of decades, both spectator attendances and player numbers have declined to a degree causing the AFL governing body considerable alarm.
Hmmm......... :-k ............... [-(

In the 20 years from 1993, average AFL home and away attendances have risen by 15.2% (from 27,903 to 32,163).

This is rather skewed by the introduction 2 expansion teams (Gold Coast and Western Sydney) and their less than average support in the traditional rugby league states of Queensland and NSW.

In the period 1993 -2010 (before the expansion teams), H&A average attendances rose by 32.2% (from 27,903 to 36,908).

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

The skewing effect can be seen here (GC & GW):

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/yearly.html

Very misleading, I would postulate.

Note: Fremantle joined in 1995, and Port Adelaide in 1997, but their averages have always been >20,000. Fitzroy were tossed in 1996, and their average was just about always <20,000.
mathusalah80 wrote: So also, stemming from 'parent pressure' many educational institutes nationwide have changed over from AFL to Association( :lol: ) Football , and it is to this code that Oz Rules continues to lose out.
This is particuarly so in my home State of WA. Scots College, one of the States most prestigious, was the courageous leader in WA in making this change, remarkably as early as around the early/mid 1980s.
Taken from the Scotch College website, which shows it offers the following range of sports (my added emphasis):
In addition to the Physical Education programme the boys from Years 5 to Year 12 choose a seasonal sport. There are a great range of sports to choose from including Basketball, Cricket, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo, Volleyball, Tennis, Sailing, Physical Theatre, Strength & Conditioning, Badminton, Cross Country, Football, Hockey, Rugby, Soccer. Mod-Cross (modified lacrosse) or Flipper-Ball (a form of Water Polo) are also offered in the younger years.
http://www.scotch.wa.edu.au/view/psa-sport

No mention of:
mathusalah80 wrote:Association( :lol: ) Football
:shock:

I am sorry if I am starting to sound like M80 - something which I am studiously trying to avoid. With reasons becoming even clearer
:-s :-" :-" :-k :-k \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Return to “World Sports”