EUROPEAN 2016 Championship Finals France

General sports news and discussions.
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 25, 2016, 11:48 am

Zidane wrote:
mathusalah80 wrote:

I WILL ACCEPT THE BET, ON THE CONDITION YOU AGREE THE SCOTTISH VOTES ARE EXCLUDED, IN SO FAR AS OUR BET IS CONCERNED? :-" ;) \:D/ You have 1000minutes within which to accept.
no, I'm not taking that one up....its all or nothing.....its all the votes for REMAIN or BREXIT to count. Spoil sport! [-X
You cant keep on making provisos in bets like you want the draw as well or depends on a certain player appearing....you'll be wanting my teams to win by at least 2 clear goals for the bet to count next ! =;
Damn! Foiled again!!

In the "easier" side of the draw I quite fancy Croatia more than Belgium. The Belgians look a good side on paper but have blown hot and cold, so far.....none more than Khuns Lukaku and Hazard.
You're at it again Zid, reading my mind :-" See my promised post, later to-day.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 25, 2016, 5:05 pm

[quote="mathusalah80You're at it again Zid, reading my mind :-" See my promised post, later to-day.[/u][/i][/b][/quote]

Referring back to the ‘wee bit of luck’ joke; considering the team’s awful opening display against the worst performing team in the competition, followed by the flukiest of underserved wins against a superior Welsh side, and ending the opening round of matches with a barely deserved 0-0 draw against Slovakia, I suspect few would disagree with my suggestion that England has already enjoyed far more than their it’s fair share of luck. ;)
We were then treated to an insight into Hodgson’s embarrassing fantasy world of football, with his statement “I’m pretty sure that sooner or later we’re going to make someone pay, because we keep dominating and creating chances like that we’re going to score, one day” There was more of the same, including his wish for England to meet France, in the quarter finals because “…they will attack us…giving us a chance to show we are a good counter attacking team”. :roll: :lol:
Taking into account that insight into the truly amazing mind set of the England manager; my previous report of England Captain Rooney’s fantasy self evaluation of his ability; the team selections & substitutions, and the unique tactical approach of Hodgson, perhaps there are justifications for considering the England players have performed remarkably well, under this multiplicity of obstacles, in reaching the knock out stage, of the competition! =D> I suggest it is safe to assume that it would require a miracle, far beyond that of the proportion of the nature of England’s recent ‘out vote’ to enable this England squad to achieve the final, let alone thoughts of lifting the trophy.
So why not further fantasize , and speculate upon what an averagely competent international team manager might do to improve upon the current level of the team’s moral and performances, (hardly difficult!), and more fully explore the potential of younger members of the squad, with an eye to the future.
Step one, arrange a joint training session and/or motivational meeting with the Welsh Manager and players, to enable the England players to learn the value of passion, pride, complete squad integration & camaraderie, and total commitment. Step two, emphasize, re-emphasize, and then emphasize again, the fact that it is first and foremost GOALS that wins matches, and that to score, should be the team’s prime aim; with the observance of organized defensive duties and possession accepted as essential, but secondary necessities towards achieving that prime aim. Step three, the manager to accept the inescapable fact this squad is incapable of winning the competition, and therefore to take this golden opportunity of playing, and evaluating, the remaining members of the squad who either have yet to play, or have had only a limited opportunity, providing the entire selected starting eleven with the guarantee they will not be substituted, and instruct them to go out and have fun. Step four. Have the courage to select the following starting eleven: Team: Forster; Walker (capt.); Cahill, Stones, Rose; Lallana, Dier, Barkley, Alli; Kane & Rashford.

Zid: my four semi finalists are Croatia, Belgium, Spain & ENGLAND. You pick your four, and whichever of us pick the most actual semi finalists, wins the bet. If the same number, no bet. Stake is two bottles of JC Classic Semillon Chardonnay, preferably vintage 2014. Please confirm before 1930hrs, tonight, (Thai time).

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2016, 5:20 pm

Why does everyone seem to think Modric (the rest of Croatia are poor at best =; ) will do well. Poland are much more likely to reach the semi's :-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 25, 2016, 6:44 pm

I'll go for Croatia,Belgium,France and Germany.

As a side bet,if Poland reach the semi finals we both buy statto a bottle of Chardonnay each.If Poland fail to make the semi finals than statto buys a couple of bottles of Chardonnay each for Zid and mat......OK,statts ?? ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2016, 7:22 pm

Zidane wrote:I'll go for Croatia,Belgium,France and Germany.

As a side bet,if Poland reach the semi finals we both buy statto a bottle of Chardonnay each.If Poland fail to make the semi finals than statto buys a couple of bottles of Chardonnay each for Zid and mat......OK,statts ?? ;)
Not in the same league as you guys zid :oops:

In any case I prefer Sarsons on me chips to that stuff you guys buy :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2016, 8:53 pm

England comes to a standstill as everyone watches the national team take on Switzerland :-"

Not sure how the Poles didn't score at least 5 in the first half (and that's not including the half chances :shock: )

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 25, 2016, 9:16 pm

Zidane wrote:I'll go for Croatia,Belgium,France and Germany.

Zid, how about, if Poland reach the semi finals WE take Statts out for lunch or dinner, (his choice), to Steve & Mali's, at our joint expense. I will personally arrange with Steve to ensure Statts will receive a plentiful supply of both Sarsons & chips ? The only condition to be imposed is that he is not permitted to tell any of his terrible 'funnies' :roll:

Statts. Actually before I watched Croatia's last group match, I thought of them as a one man team; albeit he being one of my all time favourite 'playmakers' But in that match , (minus Modric!) the team impressed me as a very solid compact looking unit, with the players committed to help each other, everywhere on the pitch, and lacking only the creativity I would expect Modric to provide. Hence, my last minute decision to pick Croatia as one of my last four.

Overall, I have considered the quality of football provided in this competition to date, to be very disappointing. Hopefully, now the knockout, sudden death, stage has been reached, performances will improve dramatically. [-o<

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 26, 2016, 9:10 am

Poland v Switzerland turned out to be quite a good game.If Poland had the best of the first half then Switzerland dominated most of the rest of the game.Shaqiri,who plays for Stoke,was man of the match scoring a brilliant overhead kick goal to equalize.He also nearly scored another couple of times,one effort which produced an excellent save from Fabianski.The Polish keeper also made a brilliant save from Rodrigues' free kick later in the second half,as well.
Poland were hanging on at the end but when it comes to penalties its a lottery.9 out of the 10 penalties were superbly executed.Xhaka's (an Arsenal signing) penalty was superbly struck but only managed to injure a couple of spectators in the stand !
Poland were pretty mediocre,I thought =; ,but will fancy there chances against Portugal and reaching the semis.

Wales and Northern Ireland was a close fought affair and it was a shame it took an own goal by Gareth McAuley to settle it.The Irish contained the Welsh attack quite comfortably but were unable to create any real chances of their own.
I believe Portugal v Croatia was a pretty turgid affair and settled by Quaresma's goal for Portugal in extra time.

Tonight the matches are....
France v Republic of Ireland,8pm Thai
Germany v Slovakia,11pm Thai
Hungary v Belgium,2am Thai Monday morning

Nice if the Irish could get through but the odds are very much against it.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 26, 2016, 11:00 am

Well,Euro 2016 is just over half way through.Recent events concerning Brexit and the performance of the English team may well have had some members looking for the nearest high rise condo......but here are some of the sights of Euro 2016,so far......what would be your semi final line up ? ;)
Euro 2016 a.jpg
Euro 2016 b.jpg
Euro 2016 c.jpg
Euro 2016 d.jpg
Euro 2016 e.jpg
Euro 2016 f.jpg
Euro 2016 g.jpg
Euro 2016 h.jpg

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » June 26, 2016, 11:49 am

Zidane wrote:Well,Euro 2016 is just over half way through.Recent events concerning Brexit and the performance of the English team may well have had some members looking for the nearest high rise condo......but here are some of the sights of Euro 2016,so far......what would be your semi final line up ? ;)
Must I choose? I like em all

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 26, 2016, 12:15 pm

Zidane wrote:Poland v Switzerland turned out to be quite a good game. Poland were pretty mediocre, I thought =; ,but will fancy there chances against Portugal and reaching the semis.
'Mediocre' fairly describes the standard of football served up, so far, in this competition. Last night was my first opportunity of watching the Polish team. Judged on last night's matches, I favour Poland to beat Ronaldo, and fulfill Statto's prediction, ( :roll: ) by moving into the semi-finals.
Wales and Northern Ireland was a close fought affair and it was a shame it took an own goal by Gareth McAuley to settle it.
Had McAuley not intercepted Bale's cross, Wales would have scored, so hopefully he will not make the mistake of blaming himself for the defeat. I consider the game to be the most enjoyable I have watched so far, with Ireland improving, as the game progressed, to the stage where, by the final whistle, I was of the opinion that the better team lost.
I believe Portugal v Croatia was a pretty turgid affair and settled by Quaresma's goal for Portugal in extra time.
An understatement Zid! :( Amazing someone didn't end up in hospital. Ronaldo's personal nightmare continues but, in any event, it would take three Ronaldo's to convert this disjointed group of players into some sort of cohesive unit. The Croatians must be even more disappointed than us Zid, ( :lol: ), at having allowed themselves to get caught up in a physical free for all, rather than playing football. Now we have only three!! =;

Tonight the matches are....
France v Republic of Ireland,8pm Thai
Germany v Slovakia,11pm Thai
Hungary v Belgium,2am Thai Monday morning

Nice if the Irish could get through but the odds are very much against it.
Aaah, but Zid, the ROI have still yet to launch their secret weapon, Robby Keane! ;) [-o< How could you forget? :-" :lol:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 26, 2016, 12:18 pm

Zidane wrote:Well,Euro 2016 is just over half way through.Recent events concerning Brexit and the performance of the English team may well have had some members looking for the nearest high rise condo]
What the hell? The Udonthani flying club? :shock:

Not even a drizzly Manchester morning, England losing to Iceland or 1,000 posts denying climate change would send GT there. Life's too cool. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 26, 2016, 1:22 pm

Zidane wrote:.....but here are some of the sights of Euro 2016,so far......what would be your semi final line up ? ;)
You missed the beauty last night in the Poland v Swiss game, young child in arms. More watchable than the game? :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 26, 2016, 1:29 pm

Was that the one seconds before half time Brian? No I missed her ....was too busy watching the game :^o

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 26, 2016, 2:41 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
Zidane wrote:.....but here are some of the sights of Euro 2016,so far......what would be your semi final line up ? ;)
You missed the beauty last night in the Poland v Swiss game, young child in arms. More watchable than the game? :-k
Didn't miss her Brian.....she was a bit of a stunner alright.....Swiss,I think ?.....but no pics of her,as yet.
about 10 minutes into the second half,statts......Poland were struggling then so maybe you had gone into the kitchen to make a cuppa !

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 26, 2016, 2:58 pm

I think this is her but the picture doesn't really do her justice,imo.
Swiss beauty at Euro 2016.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 26, 2016, 6:58 pm

Na, don't think that's her. I'm sure it was just before h/t Zid .......... have to watch the rerun I guess :lol: :oops:

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » June 26, 2016, 7:55 pm

Brian Davis wrote:You missed the beauty last night in the Poland v Swiss game, young child in arms. More watchable than the game? :-k
:love: :love: :love:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 27, 2016, 7:29 am

France 2 Republic of Ireland 1
Germany 3 Slovakia 0
Hungary 0 Belgium 4

The Irish took a shock lead with a penalty after 2 minutes and held on for an hour.Then 2 goals in 2 minutes from Griezmann put France into the lead.Duffy was sent off later as Ireland were overrun in the second half.In all honesty it could have been a thrashing but a combination of unlucky finishing,bad finishing and good goalkeeping kept the score down.

Germany were very impressive,easily overcoming Slovakia.This was a very dominant display by the Germans,unlike what we saw in the group stages.

Eden Hazard starred as Belgium thumped Hungary 4-0 and scored a fine individual goal.Alderweireld gave Belgium the lead after 10 minutes and the Belgians scored 3 in the last 15 minutes to make the scoreline look more realistic.
Belgian will meet Wales on Friday in Lille.The kick off is 2am Saturday morning here in Thailand.

Tonight there could be a possible feast of football....well,possibly. :-k
At 11pm Thai,Spain take on Italy then at 2am Tuesday morning a small nation will be battling to make it into the quarter finals.
Yes,little England take on the might of Iceland in a match that has been called Roy Hodgsons Brexit.If England lose then our Woy will be making a sharp one !
Will Woy play it safe by picking Kane and Milner or will he give Rashford or Barkley chance ?
Will stattos dream of a Poland v Iceland final still be alive tomorrow ?
Enjoy tonights games.....

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 27, 2016, 10:14 am

Yup, the big boys showed their mettle yesterday. Can England do the same, really impress or **** it up?

In the interim, Wales and Ledley enjoying the win over N. Ireland. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sueWoP-aHY

Return to “World Sports”