2018 World Cup in Russia

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Post by stattointhailand » June 18, 2018, 9:22 pm

I just dont see how anyone with the slightest idea of what is required to compete in a major tournament can pick 3 central defenders in a squad of 23 and then have the audacity to say that we are going with three at the back ...... err what happens when one of the three is injured or gets two yellow cards before the semi finals? Dont even try to make some excuse about playing Walker as a centre back ..... as Stevie Nicol (not a bad defender in his day) said its not just about being able to run fast you have to have enough knowledge and the experience of playing the position for years before you can expect to play at this level. I dont want to "second guess" Southgate coz whatever he does with HIS squad cannot cover the damage that has already been done with his original squad selection.
Having said that I fully expect him to compound his errors by playing 4 or 5 wing backs at the expense of Dier who is his one and only decent holding midfielder. He will also no doubt start Pickford even though any opposing coach will have told his players to put the ball into the near post for a flick on past Pickford who will be all at sea.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 18, 2018, 10:19 pm

Come on Statts, you are indulging in your lawyer type semantics again; as you will recall I expressed the suspicion you might do, when challenging you to announce YOUR VIEW of the best squad available to represent England. You refused to stick your neck out, leaving you free now to seize that opportunity to be wise and criticise Southgate, after the event!
Now, suddenly you are willing to state which players you WOULD HAVE selected in the squad and which you would have picked for this first game. Being on very safe ground, in both respects, since several of the players you mention are not in Russia, and you are only now suggesting they should be! You really do like to both have, and to eat, your cake, Statto. :-"

Given the dearth of world class English players, overall, I think Southgate has made a reasonable job of assembling a squad which comprises a good mixture of promising young . and of battle hardened, players, capable of surprising their critics. My only personal reservation revolves around the formation, and the players , Southgate will decide upon. I hope my doubts will prove unjustified, as the tournament progresses.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

Word on the street about Englands team selection.....
Pickford in goal,Walker Stones and Maguire centre backs,Trippier and Young wing backs,Henderson(holding midfielder),Lingard and Alli attacking midfielders,Sterling and Kane strikers.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 18, 2018, 11:37 pm

After a boring 0-0 first half, the Belgium v Panama game has come alive in the second half. It will be worth switching on, if you haven't so far.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 19, 2018, 1:29 am

England very lively in the first 30 minutes. Could have been 2 goals up in the first 3 minutes, but so far 1 goal up (Kane: 11 mins), with several near misses, and one scare at 26 minutes.

Ah, Oh, Oops, a penalty to Tunisia in the 33rd minute. Score 1-1.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 19, 2018, 4:29 am

Kane is able!
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 19, 2018, 4:31 am

Well England made hard work of that. In the early part of the second half they seemed to lose momentum if not confidence at times. After the substitutions and continuing perseverance they eventually got the winner, courtesy of Harry Kane from a 91st minute corner. Overall it should have given them more confidence as well as experience, and Gareth Southgate a few points to pursue.

There must be some big questions to be asked about the VAR system, when Kane was clearly manhandled to the ground, earlier in the game, but no penalty given, and the same pattern of behaviour continued throughout the second half with the referee seemingly unable to stop it or do anything about.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 19, 2018, 6:59 am

wc.png
wc.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
The Sweden v Korea game was end to end stuff but with far the better chances going Sweden's way. After an hour of no score it looked to me like one of those games where the side creating the chances might be punnished for not taking them. Then VAR stepped in & gave Sweden a penalty.
Generally disappointing by Korea who will now have a mountain to climb (in the shape of Germany & Mexico) in order to qualify.

Nil, nil at half time but then Belgium rather blew them away. 2 for Lukaku after assists from de Bruyne & Hazard. I wonder if Jose considers why he can't perform like this for United... might be the system Jose.. :D

I don't think any of the favourites will be shaking in their boots after this England performance, but it was always about getting the 3 points. England have to smarten up at the front & back if they are going to progress but at least they should not be desperately searching for wins. Sterling's starting place must be in doubt. While there is no doubting his work rate & desire he clearly is over anxious once he gets a chance.
Statts will be pleased that VAR had little effect on the result - despite failing to do its' job at least twice on penalty shouts.. :D

Group A start their second games today, after Group H complete both their first.
wc1.png
wc1.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Yeah, you have to wonder how "clear and obvious" it has to be for VAR to be useful.

Shock /horror Kyle Walker gives away a penalty because he is a) wrong side of his man and b) facing wrong direction ...... well I didnt see that coming :^o

Even bigger shock Raheem Sterling misses open goal :yikes: . I blame the other forwards as they should know that you have to give him at least three open goal chances before he can be expected to score :lol:

Only big downside is using the "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card in the first game when they might need a bit of luck/help later in the tourny :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 19, 2018, 9:28 am

World Cup girl a.jpg
England started like a house on fire and should have been two up before Kane gave them the lead in the 11th minute.
It was a harsh penalty but Walker was badly positioned but what about when Kane was wrestled to the ground twice in the area and nothing was given ? Blatant penalties ! =;
I think England lost their way a bit in the second half and was pleasantly surprised when Kane got the winner in injury time.
Sterling was awful (hasn't scored for England in over 20 matches now) and Young was ineffective on the left.In contrast,I thought Trippier,the right wing back,was Englands best player although Kane will naturally get all the plaudits.
Tunisia didn't offer much and I think Panama will offer even less so,hopefully,England should progress from the group stages now.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2018, 10:48 am

Not sure what the reasoning behind Ashley Young being allowed to take the late free kick chance =;

Only thing I can think of is that its been so long since he scored from a free kick they thought he must be due one :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2018, 12:13 pm

Ok we won a game ..... no more years of pain :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFTeF74dyY

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Tunisian bloke pig rooting Kane in the box no VAR - How strange?
Watch Me!!

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 19, 2018, 2:53 pm

Should have bagged a few but a wins a win now kick on.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 19, 2018, 10:45 pm

With the exception of Mexico, the Latin-speaking countries of the New World have not impressed anyone.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 19, 2018, 10:45 pm
With the exception of Mexico, the Latin-speaking countries of the New World have not impressed anyone.
At least they got there ........ unlike the English speaking ones =;

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 20, 2018, 7:14 am

wc.png
wc.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Disaster struck early on for the much fancied Colombians with a penalty & sending off against them after only 3 minutes. They should have gone further behind before the break except for some poor Japanese finishing. Before half time they were back in it as they equalised with a cleverly taken free kick grass cutter!! In 10 World Cup games the Colombians have never won a match when they conceded first but it was Japan who bucked the first World Cup trend with the win in Europe & against a South American side.

Senegal took what few chances they had (howbeit the second goal was a touch controversial) while Poland looked a very poor side indeed. Hardly a feast of football & with Columbia losing in the other game Group H looks wide open for a shock!!

Russia all but through to the next round as they push aside Egypt. If the unlikely scenario of the Saudis beating Uruguay later today does not happen then Russia are through & Egypt are out..
wc1.png
wc1.png (11.92 KiB) Viewed 858 times

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Columbia fan.jpg
A desperate start for Colombia conceding a penalty and having a man sent off in the first 3 minutes.Still,their girl fans are rated the most beautiful at the World Cup.
Senegal look to be the surprise team of this group beating a very disappointing Polish side.
Russian fan.jpg
The Ruskies look to be all but through which is good news for the tournament,overall,I think.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

11senegal.jpg
Senegalese fans having fun at the world cup :lol:

I wonder if the same attitude would be taken to a group of England fans donning the boot polish and giving a stiring Jolsonesque rendition of ....

Ha arry Haaaaa ry
The ball goes East
The ball goes West
But he knows where the ball goes best
Ha arry, Haaaa ry
I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles
Oh Haaaaaaaa ry

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 20, 2018, 6:18 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 20, 2018, 7:13 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 19, 2018, 10:45 pm
At least they got there ........ unlike the English speaking ones =;
555. And when the two English-speaking New World countries got to play in the World Hockey Championships, Sweden and Switzerland led the way. Curling...well, in the men's competition, Canada fell to Sweden. However, Jennifer Jones led the Canadian women to the 2018 World Championship ! Go Canada Go! 555

Return to “World Sports”