2018 World Cup in Russia

General sports news and discussions.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 25, 2018, 6:14 pm

Zidane wrote:
June 25, 2018, 5:13 pm
2.Its STERLING not Stirling.....only a small thing but it could confuse readers from Canada and New Zealand.

So, it's not a sterling performance by Stirling. How about, it was a sterling performance by Sterling who is from Stirling?
It is all so confusing for a baseball enthusiast from Canada.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

My mate received a memento mancave game to celebrate the 2018 Russian World cup.
He thought it was a Sterling gift.
Attachments
35943773_10215343842363758_6634889358878965760_n.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2018, 7:02 pm

Apologies for moving Panama guys (should have thought that it couldn't be Paraguay as a canal there would be useless with the country being landlocked.) Not sure where my brain was ..... answers on a postcard to .....
As for Stirling .......... I promise to learn how to spell his name as soon as he learns how to shoot

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2018, 8:09 pm

Russian press have leaked a pic of the Argentinian team prior to their game against Nigeria tomorrow

11Arg.jpg

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 25, 2018, 8:33 pm

Zidane wrote:Colombia were very impressive last night in easily beating a disappointing Polish side 3-0.With James Rodriguez back in the side and providing two assists,they were much improved on their display against Senegal.Falcao got the second goal which was his first ever in the World Cup Finals,having missed the 2014 tournament through injury.
Colombia could be very dangerous opponents for England.
Yes, I thought Columbia were impressive and dangerous. The new Brazil?

I hope we don't get to meet them too soon.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

What about that bending pass for the Columbians 3rd goal. Magic.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 26, 2018, 6:27 am

wc.png
wc.png (14.42 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Ah, back from the seaside where 2 out of the 4 teams in the Groups are now heading... :D

End of a hugely disappointing competition for Egypt. Bottom of probably the easiest group without a point. Despite the win, the Saudis join them, but both their exits were decided before kick off.
Russia's impressive start is over but it is a bit difficult to read too much into that. Both sides were already through & then Russia had a man sent off for 2 yellows after 36 minutes.
Table A.png
Group A
Table A.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 881 times
The Iran v Portugal match was one dominated by VAR rather than Ronaldo - although, of course, even VAR was concerned with the main man. :D Iran were maybe unlucky not to knock out their opponents from the competition but also top the group.
VAR was also busy in the Spain game & also kept them in the competition with a very late equaliser. Neither of the Iberian sides have looked too special so far despite their reputations.
group B.png
Group B
group B.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 881 times
So, Uruguay will go on to face Portugal in the last 16, while hosts Russia play Spain.

wc1.png
Today's matches
wc1.png (15.09 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 26, 2018, 8:01 am

World Cup babes 2018.jpg
A bad night for the hosts,Russia.Not only did they lose 3-0 and have a man sent off but Isco's equalizer for Spain in the 5th minute of injury time now means Russia will now meet the Spanish in the knockout stage.Portugal also conceded an injury time goal which gives them a more difficult task against Uruguay now.
You would have to fancy Spain and Uruguay to progress but the Spanish have been no great shakes,so far,and the Portugese have Ronaldo.
Russia were well beaten last night in an uninspiring performance but I thought Morocco were unlucky not to beat Spain.They were also unlucky not to get something from their previous game against Portugal.This group had 4 decent teams (Spain,Portugal,Morocco and Iran) and the two teams eliminated are probably as good as some teams that will progress from other groups.....just my opinion.

Tonight the Group C matches kick off at 9pm Thai time and the Group D games at 1am Wednesday morning over here.The Group C games have the Aussies,at the last chance saloon,against Peru.
Peru v Australia.jpg
Welcome back to Bob.....it was rumoured you did your 90 day visa run to Nizhniy Novgorod in Russia ?? :D
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 26, 2018, 11:28 am

Couple of points ...

Cant see anywhere where it says that all goals counting for the golden boot have to be for one team?
Does this now mean the Ruski guy with 3 for Russia and 1 for Uruguay is joint 2nd in the race with CR7 and Lukaku?

How far off the ground does a two footed studs up challenge have to be, before the VAR officials point out to the ref that it could have broken a leg?

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 26, 2018, 11:38 am

Few, if any, neutrals would dispute the fact that both these group ended with the emergence of the four expected qualifiers.
The media made great play upon how well the Russians performed in their opening two matches, carefully omitting to point to the mediocrity of their opponents. The myth was cruelly exposed, by an ominously improving Uruguay side, which revealed this Russian team to be no more than a slightly over performing band of artisan players.
Both Portugal and Spain have performed disappointedly. Understandable, in the case of Portugal, which seems likely to survive only until, inevitably, Ronaldo performs like a mere mortal. Less understandable is the poor form displayed by Spain, arguably possessing one of the most talented and experienced squads in the tournament. Lucky indeed for them, they are destined to play Russia, providing them the opportunity to build up some form, plus what should be a reasonably easy passage into the next stage. But, for me, the most impressive team to emerge, and likely to go the furthest, from these two groups, is Uruguay.
So meantime, Spain to beat Russia, and Uruguay to beat Portugal.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Propose to spend the early part of the evening enjoying watching the Socceroos, in what is almost certainly going to be their last appearance in this tournament; particularly if the Manager continues what I can only assume to be some personal vendetta against Tim Cahill :evil: I can no longer consider either France or Denmark as serious contenders, and doubt their match will offer much in the way of entertainment.
But the opposite is likely to be the case in the later games. I will definitely have my eyes glued to the screen, watching the Nigeria v Argentina confrontation, which I think is unlikely to suit those of a squeamish disposition! As I have indicated earlier, I consider this Nigerian squad has more talent than that with which they are credited. Provided their Manager can devise a plan to subdue 'you know who', I think Nigeria can produce the shock result of this Group Stage. I admit I will be rooting for them against Argentina.
I consider Croatia to be right up there, along with Uruguay, as a team to be included in the group of serious contenders for the trophy.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 26, 2018, 8:02 pm

the times

The Football Association could be fined if England fans are caught singing offensive pro-Brexit chants during Thursday's match against Belgium, Fifa has warned.

But FIFA will to absolutely nothing about the racist Senegal fans and neither will "Kick it out" .... after all we dont want to upset anyone do we [-X [-X

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 26, 2018, 11:09 pm

In a yawner, Denmark gets the result they needed to advance in a 0-0 draw with the French.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » June 27, 2018, 4:39 am

The nearest Scotland will get to another world cup is if Iran play Brunei, then the score abbreviations would read:
IRN - BRU

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 27, 2018, 6:46 am

wc.png
No heroics from Australia as they end up bottom of Group C.
With the mid game news that Peru were in the lead in the other group game the French match went from tepid to stagnant. Not an advert for football from either side.
Group C.png
Group C.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 682 times
A much changed Croatian team from their Argentinian triumph still had enough to see off Iceland. The Nordic side have punched way below their European Cup form & had a thoroughly disappointing World Cup.
It was winner take second place between Argentina & Nigeria. The South Americans did it but it was another poor performance.
Group D.png
Group D.png (10.68 KiB) Viewed 682 times
They will now face France in the next round in a battle of the underachievers.
Denmark will face the far more challenging task of Croatia.
wc1.png
wc1.png (16.99 KiB) Viewed 682 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 27, 2018, 9:06 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 26, 2018, 11:09 pm
In a yawner, Denmark gets the result they needed to advance in a 0-0 draw with the French.
What a shock ......... NOT

so much for "final group games will be played at the same time to stop CONTRIVED results" [-X [-X [-X

Obviously nobody told Fekir who almost ruined everything by having a shot ........... and getting a really dirty look from Kesper Schmeichel :-$

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 27, 2018, 11:07 am

Croatia.jpg
Croatia.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Well,Argentina got through but they hardly deserved it.They weren't too bad the first half,with Messi playing well,but the second half they were very poor and I thought Nigeria looked the more likely winners.
Argentina play France in the knockout round......a pity they both cant be knocked out ! =;
Croatia have played well,so far,and will play another dour outfit in Denmark.

No fairytale ending for Australia and little Timmy Cahill.Nice to see him get a game but at 38 time waits for no man.Since Bert Van Marwijk took over as National Coach in January the Aussies have looked a much better side than in the qualifying group.Readers will remember that Bert coached The Netherlands to the World Cup Final in 2010.
Sad,also,to see Peru go out....not a bad team who didnt have much luck.Apparently they had 40,000 supporters in Russia and they certainly brightened the tournament up.

Groups E and F tonight.Crucial games for Brazil and Germany and its possible one of them might go out.Group F at 9pm Thai time and Group E at 1am Thursday morning over here.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 27, 2018, 2:05 pm

good riddance to Nigeria ............ and remember to flush those disgusting shirts down the loo on the way out :-&

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 27, 2018, 2:29 pm

Zidane wrote:
June 27, 2018, 11:07 am
they hardly deserved it.
How does that work? I thought the final score determined the outcome. Can fans appeal a decision based on the losing team's merit or other imagined justification despite having a lower goal count? Has a winning team ever conceded the game to the losing team because the losers deserved it more?
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 27, 2018, 5:00 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 27, 2018, 9:06 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote: In a yawner, Denmark gets the result they needed to advance in a 0-0 draw with the French.
What a shock ......... NOT

so much for "final group games will be played at the same time to stop CONTRIVED results" [-X [-X [-X

Obviously nobody told Fekir who almost ruined everything by having a shot ........... and getting a really dirty look from Kesper Schmeichel :-$
The show must go on...according to script.

Return to “World Sports”