2018 World Cup in Russia

General sports news and discussions.
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Post by AlexO » July 1, 2018, 1:38 pm

Uruguay v Portugal was also a good match but not a patch on the Le Blu's v The Argies. Why does a player such as Suarez with all the skills in the world continually feign injury when the TV shows there was obviously no or minimal contact. FIFA and UEFA need to start banning players for extended periods or even whole tournaments based on TV evidence. It's not Bad Sportsmanship it's CHEATING.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 1, 2018, 3:36 pm

Will be interesting to see who wins the LAST EVER meaningful Golden boot this time.

In future tournaments the VAR shield will be awarded to the player whos dives after minimal contact are seen by the VAR system to be worth more pens and direct free kicks than any other player.

As soon as you put in place a system that penalises a defender for attempting to play football you are on a serious downward spiral. Of course a forward is going to go to ground if he knows that regardless of how much contact was made the ref (via VAR) will give him a free kick. All VAR has done is remove the opportunity for the ref to say it was a "fair attempt" to get the ball and the forward could easily have remained upright and played on. :evil:

You want to see more and more diving then carry on with VAR coz its 100% going to produce it =;

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 1, 2018, 11:21 pm

Well 20 minutes of extra time gone, and the first bit of excitement in the Spain v Russia match was in the 108th minute!! Prior to that Spain have tapped the ball around, but never looked like scoring. The Russians looked more dangerous when they got the occasional break!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 2, 2018, 6:52 am

wc.png
wc.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
I thought Russia were playing for the penalty shoot out from the get go. Spain had possession by the ton but never looked like doing anything with it. All in all a disappointing game to watch.

I didn't see the Croatia game, but, by all reports, it was 5 minutes of fun at the start & then the drama of penalties at the end - with little of interest in between.

On the strength of the 2 displays I am not sure I would be queuing up for tie between Russia & Croatia!!

Lets hope today's' games live up to expectations a little more..
wc 1.png
wc 1.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 1347 times

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 2, 2018, 7:16 am

Don't mess with Vlad.
Attachments
World Cup.jpg

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 2, 2018, 9:57 am

Russia v Spain.jpg
In contrast to Saturdays games last nights offerings were very poor,particularily Croatia v Denmark. :(
Spain had 80% of the play against Russia but did absolutely nothing with it.A bit harsh to say Russia played for penalties from the off as they hardly ever saw the ball.Certainly,in extra time,I think they were happy with a draw as most of their players were out on the feet.
An English comparison of this game would maybe be a mid table Championship side playing Arsenal in the 6th round of the FA Cup.Russia couldn't string more than two or three passes together and had to rely on the direct approach on the few occasions they managed to keep the ball.But,no matter,Russia are in the last 8 and their victory sparked off wild celebrations throughout the country,not surprisingly !
Incidentally,the Russian players have some very pretty wives and heres a pic of just 3 of them for the discerning farang !
Russian players wives.jpg
Croatia v Denmark....you could be forgiven for writing nothing about this shocking game.It was 1-1 after 4 minutes but that was it until the penalty shootout.Bob sums up the game perfectly and he didn't even watch it ! :D

Tonight,hoping for better from Mexico v Brazil at 9pm Thai but Switzerland v Sweden at 1am Tuesday morning over here has 0-0 with penalties written all over it.....be warned ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 2, 2018, 5:41 pm

Back to football! :roll: :roll:
'Appalling' could best describe Spain's 'contribution; 'Gutsy' that of Russia, and 'totally boring' the game itself! Ultimately, the Russians justifiably emerged as the victors, given their impressive dedication and commitment to bringing about this shock victory. Both the players, and their millions of fans, have earned the right to enjoy their moment of euphoria, currently sweeping through Russia.
I proved to be overly optimistic in my expectations I would be treated to more entertaining faire in watching the Croatia v Denmark face off. Wrong! :roll: For all the footballing excitement the teams were able to produce, throughout the ninety minutes, perhaps football would have been better served if the match had proceeded directly to the penalty kicks stage, following the first five minutes. Difficult to believe the Croatian team was virtually that which destroyed Argentina, in the group stage. I except Modric from my criticism. His silky skills stood out in a sea of mediocrity, and he continues to defy the march of old father time, such as has already claimed more than one of his legendary peers in this tournament. Without falling into the trap of again underestimating the Russians, I think that, in Modric, Croatia has the player to unlock the Russian defence, and end the Hosts fairytale run.
With both Belgium and Brazil involved in tonight's matches, sleep is not figuring greatly in my plans, and since I very much doubt that sitting back and defending, has entered the minds of any of the four coaches involved, I feel certain we can all look forward to a highly entertaining night of football. I don't anticipate any surprises though! :-s :-k =;

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 2, 2018, 6:18 pm

Yes,sorry,I got a couple of the game times mixed up...…. :oops:
Its Belgium v Japan at 1am Tuesday morning Thai time and Sweden v Switzerland is 9pm Tuesday night over here.
Btw,mat80,I hope you haven't overlooked that Wimbledon starts today ??

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2018, 6:53 pm

Are the Wombles playing in the very early rounds of the milk/league/xbox/pampas cup then zid?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 2, 2018, 7:24 pm

It looks like the Spanish media are not too pleased with their exit..
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44682034

I guess England will get pasted in the press if Columbia turn them over but, to be honest, at least the FA didn't sack the manager as they arrived in Russia & appoint someone with no experience & no time to put his stamp on the side.. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2018, 7:43 pm

BobHelm wrote:
July 2, 2018, 7:24 pm
It looks like the Spanish media are not too pleased with their exit..
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44682034

I guess England will get pasted in the press if Columbia turn them over but, to be honest, at least the FA didn't sack the manager as they arrived in Russia & appoint someone with no experience & no time to put his stamp on the side.. :D
might have missed a trick there then Bob :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2018, 8:46 pm

Could be yet another "SHOCK" tonight ....... got a feeling that Brazil may just about manage to beat Mexico :-k

Goal by Vela Jn with assist from Chicoritto Jn and Lozano Jn cancelled out a goal by Willam Jn

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 3, 2018, 2:13 am

Stattointhailand wrote:Could be yet another "SHOCK" tonight
Yes, there is, - Japan have just put 2 in, against Belgium, within 5 mins of each other, early in second half.

Zid will have to find me some Japanese fan pics now.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 3, 2018, 2:33 am

We are on fire now, Japan - Belgium 2-2 at 73 minutes, after substitutions by Belgium, and near misses at both ends.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 3, 2018, 3:00 am

And with 4 minutes of extra time, a final deciding goal by Belgium in the 94th minute.

The double substitution changed the game.

Belgium 3 - Japan 2.

I just feel sorry for Japan who had played so well and looked like the winners at the 60th minute.

So Belgium go on to play Brazil in the quarter finals.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 3, 2018, 6:54 am

wc.png
wc.png (7.47 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Mexico matched Brazil from the start but the South Americans gradual got better & better as the match wore on.

arjay has already given a good summary of the Belgium game. For once their Premiership star starters had an off day. Is that a sign of what is to come or just a rare off day??
They will have to be at their best for the next match against Brazil.
wc 1.png
wc 1.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 3, 2018, 9:55 am

Brazil.jpg
Mexico were the better side in the first half against Brazil but once Neymar scored there was only going to be one winner.
Nobody doubts Neymars ability but going down and writhing in agony,as if he has been shot by multiple snipers,happens nearly every game.This match was no different and once again he was hardly touched.
Japan World Cup.jpg
With 20 minutes to go Japan were leading 2-0 then heartbreak as poor goalkeeping let Belgium back into the match.Kudos to Martinez for his substitutes,Fellaini and Chadli,but overall Belgium were disappointing.
You have to feel that the winners of the World Cup will come from the Brazil v Belgium match,although theres a possible alternative on at 1am Thai time Wednesday morning....hey,are Colombia really that good ? :D

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 3, 2018, 6:09 pm

Zidane wrote:
July 3, 2018, 9:55 am

1.Mexico were the better side in the first half against Brazil but once Neymar scored there was only going to be one winner.
2. With 20 minutes to go Japan were leading 2-0 then heartbreak as poor goalkeeping let Belgium back into the match.Kudos to Martinez for his substitutes, Fellaini and Chadli,but overall Belgium were disappointing.
3.You have to feel that the winners of the World Cup will come from the Brazil v Belgium match,although theres a possible alternative on at 1am Thai time Wednesday morning....hey,are Colombia really that good ? :D

1. I thought Mexico were the better performing team overall ,save they lacked the ability to capitilise on their opportunities. This, of course, proved to be THE difference. The excessive leniency, and protection, being extended towards Neymar, (at the direction of higher authorities???), has become farcical. Clearly the ankle stamp was a red card offence, but an argument could be made that Neymar should not have been eligible for this game, had he been yellow carded for his host of simulation offences, (including his death convulsions last night), in Brazil's previous games.
2. Can't agree with you on this one Zid. I think the Japanese goalkeeper had a superb match, as did the whole of the Japanese team, outplaying the Belgiums for virtually the whole game., No one, least of all, Vertonghon, intended or expected his header to loop into the goal. A total fluke, which opened the door to Belgium's undeserved win, and which denied the Japanese a well deserved victory. Also, rather than award himself Kudos, Martinez might be better served by going back to the drawing board, as regards his team selection. He is unlikely to be as lucky against Brazil, as he was against Japan. One thing is certain however, regarding the upcoming Brazil v Belgium match,; which is that the identity of the selected the match officials, and the VAR officials, will be closely scrutinised by fans the world over, as will their decisions during the course of the match.
3. Glad to see that you have, somewhat belatedly, taken my posted pre-tournament predictions to heart, and agree with me! :-k =; :D But beware; potential party spoilers Uruguay & Croatia, are still lurking in the background.

Enjoy England's loss or victory tonight, Zid; depending, of course, upon whether Southgate picks his team or mine! :-s [-( :lol: \:D/

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 3, 2018, 7:17 pm

Received a vision, during the course of my afternoon sleep.;that one of the players involved in tonight's games will receive the tournament's first red card. :crying: ](*,) :-({|=
Sorry fellahs, couldn't make out the colour of his shirt so, like me, you will just have to sweat it out. 8-[ [-o<

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 3, 2018, 7:23 pm

Unfortunately for Mex, it was the final decisions that let them down all night ...... in behind the Brazil defense SIX times in the opening 18 mins, but unable to make a telling pass that would lead to a goal. Similar to their game with Germany where they managed to get in at least 10 or 12 times before making one pay [-X
The Mex number 7 should have been red carded without a doubt ........... blowing the chance to teach nambypambyjunior what it feels like to actually be fouled ..... stamp man dont friggin tickle :evil: , and then missing the perfect opportunity to insert his left foot so far up his rectum to teach him a lesson whilst he was rolling round deserved a red.

Mex stood absolutely no chance in this game from the opening whistle where every decision and then a whole lot more were given Brazils way. Havent seen such one sided refereeing since the Fergie era at OT :-$
Almost seems that FIFA and Vlad have agreed that it will be Brazil the knocks the hosts out and no little referee or VAR op will get in the way :-"

Return to “World Sports”