Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by stattointhailand » April 11, 2020, 3:07 pm

are you aware that across europe there are over 20% of players who are "out of contract" or whose "loan" ends on or before 30 June. Given a reasonable number of these have already signed legal pre contracts with other clubs they will sue for lost income etc and the new clubs will sue if they get injured or do not fulfill their contracts
They had a top lawyer on one of the UK sports TV progs who said it is legaly "impossible" to extend players contacts en block which is what the Prem had suggested so every single extesion or loan will have to be agreed individually.
Cant see Karen Brady letting any West Ham asset extend if theres even a one in a hundred chance it could have a negative effect on WHU staying up. How fair is it on (eg Watford ) if they have to play their last 9 games with their 4th choice goalkeeper?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 11, 2020, 4:01 pm

There are many ways round the contract issues and FifPro have already hinted they will look to resolve it.

If this is your only argument it's not a good one.

What about Watford? They misused the loan market a few years back. Som nam na. Karen Brady? No comment.

I would rather finish the season with a reserve team than expunge 9 months hard graft.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 11, 2020, 4:18 pm

Lots of opinions as to how the football issue can be resolved due to the Covid 19 crisis .. one things for sure some clubs will be ok with the final official decision others wont .. im sure many fans are wearing their heart on their sleeve when looking at ways to resolve this .. especially those in both the promotion and relegation places at the time fixtures ceased.

One of the benefits of being a loyal fan of a seasonal club that specilizes in mid table obscurity.

The distinct possibility some clubs may fold , a real shame unless its Grimsby Town in which case i will run a lap of the Udon ring road wearing only a face mask and alcohol gel on my hands !!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 11, 2020, 4:23 pm

samster wrote:
April 11, 2020, 4:01 pm
There are many ways round the contract issues and FifPro have already hinted they will look to resolve it.

What about Watford? They misused the loan market a few years back. Som nam na. Karen Brady? No comment.

I would rather finish the season with a reserve team than expunge 9 months hard graft.
Nice one samster

4 points and exactly zero answers

your argument is the same as loads of the pundits ...... unfortunately what everyone (me included) would LIKE to see happen (all games played) cannot and will not happen, so we then have to look at what is POSSIBLE and accept the least harmful alternative, which is to expunge the current season and start the new season as near to "on time" as is possible with no changes to league setup

new please save Grimsby Town website open in Udon

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2019/20

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 9, 2020, 12:14 pm

Word coming out of plans to not play anymore games in L1 L2 and lower this season ..with the remaining fixtures being decided on an average of already played home and away points tally. There will be promotion and relegation but no play offs after the final positions have been sorted using this method ... all sounds pretty fair and makes little difference to all mid table clubs including Scunny Utd who dont really have a functioning squad to choose from being as Mr Swann has already started his end of contract 11 player cull .. with little or no money to buy new players many lower league clubs if they survive will struggle.

The future of grass roots footy in the UK looks in serious doubt. very sad ..

twill be very interesting to see how things pan out in the PL and Championship with regard to remaining fixtures promtion and relegation .. plus Liverpool being crowned PL champs all be possibly in an uncompleted tainted season .

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2020, 1:16 pm

How can you have promotion from League 1 if Prem/Championship is declared null and void? Playing a 52 game Championship in a shorter than usual season seems like a recipe for disaster to me

You cannot have prom/relegation if you do not finish the season =;
There are about a dozen teams who could all get promoted and unless they have all played the same amount of games against the same teams nobody has even a cat in hells chance of predicting how the remaining fixtures would have played out.. ........ Bluderland might even have got promoted :shock:

You only have to look at Leeds for proof that nothing can be assumed ......... in both of the last seasons they have blown up over their last 10 games (11pts from 10 games and then 13 pts from 10 games) even if they maintained that progress and were two more points better this season 15pts on top of where they are would not guarantee an automatic promotion place

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 9, 2020, 4:29 pm

Youre still maintaining the stance on Leeds Statts in spite if overwhelming facts to the contrary! As I said elsewhere, last season was distorted by results after the top 2 clinched promotion.

Last year there were 3 teams close at the top, all of whom performed incredibly in March/ early April. We were unfortunate to be the odd one out.

I was bored yesterday and decided to look at Championship tables in mid March for the last 10 years. Teams who are 7 points clear ALWAYS go on to get promoted. I'm sure if I had delved further back, it would have shown a similar trend. In fact, the BBC has a feature today online saying that the EPL changes little over the last 9 or 10 fixtures.

As a final point, check out the remaining games and tell me honestly whether the bookies had it wrong at 1/20 that Leeds go up. Despite what we have left (an abundance of home fixtures against teams at the bottom), I've heard no-one from Leeds bleating about playing in neutral grounds like some EPL clubs.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2020, 4:57 pm

Its not a "stance" on Leeds samster, they just happen to be the obvious example to prove that just because a team was in a promotion place with one third of the season to go does not mean they would still be there at the end. Remember a couple of seasons back when Palace had played 8 games and lost 8 and "ave points" would have clearly relegated them but they finished comfortably away from the zone. When Newcastle/Huddersfield/Brighton/Reading were fighting for promotion, if they had stopped after 29 games and taken ave points Newcastle would not have gone up, which is why I keep stating you have to play the matches at the correct grounds with fans and only 3 subs before you can even think about promotion and relegation anything else loses the whole integrity of the league

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 9, 2020, 6:13 pm

Its not 8 games or 29 as per your examples. If it was, I would agree. Its 37 games. Even in the unlikely event that we only got 15 points (your words) from 9 very winnable fixtures, Brentford or Forest would have to win all their games or Fulham win 8 out of 9. Bear in mind that these teams have to play each other (as well as other difficult fixtures) and you will see that it is extremely improbable.

Anything other than Leeds (and WBA) being promoted would be an appalling injustice.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2020, 7:27 pm

Doesn't matter how unlikely something is, it could happen, and that is why the only fair solutions are to "void" the leagues or finish the games as per the schedule

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 9, 2020, 7:31 pm

In my opinion, there is nothing fair about voiding an 80% complete season and, I would say that if we were bottom. We can agree to differ as long as you stick to facts - one of them is that Leeds did not blow up last season!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2020, 9:34 pm

Ok ............I suppose Forest weren't too good to go down either were they :-k

Prem could always be decided by VAR, after all they arranged the first 288 so it would be a shame if they couldn't organise the last 92 as well

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 27, 2020, 10:02 pm

Presume he made a reference to the Northampton team being a load of cobblers

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... e-language

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 27, 2020, 10:08 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 27, 2020, 10:02 pm
Presume he made a reference to the Northampton team being a load of cobblers

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... e-language
Statts ... Whitehouse was one of 9 players the codheads released a few days ago ..

btw click on the link at the bottom of all my posts , great viewing.

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 28, 2020, 6:45 pm

Three individuals connected to two Championship clubs have tested positive for coronavirus, the English Football League has announced.

Tests were carried out on 1,030 players and staff at second-tier clubs between Monday and Wednesday of this week.

The EFL said in a statement: “Those players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate in line with the guidelines provided by the EFL and only those who have tested negative will be permitted to enter training ground facilities.

“The EFL will continue to make regular and relevant announcements as appropriate in respect of the testing programme to support competition integrity and transparency.

“No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the league.”

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 29, 2020, 10:13 am

English football league 2 and lower have cancelled the season .. IF Stevenage dont get relegated i think its the best option

League 1 not split on restarting and playing out the season without fans .. not good and just how the smaller clubs would fund it is questionable... looks like smaller poorer clubs want to cancel with the larger wealthier ones not... IMO L1 should be cancelled.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ins-letter

So that leaves the big boys and the rich big boys .. just why when it should come down to safety etc why the differential .. its all only football ..

just goes to prove its all about the money .. real shame but some one needs to grow some balls n sort this mess out .

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2020, 6:44 pm

QPR, who sit 13th in the table and are six points from the play-offs with nine games left to play, have responded to the planned restart and chief executive Hoos says he has been left ‘stunned’ by the announcement.

Hoos claims that there has been ‘no consultation’ with individual clubs or Championship doctors working in a group by the divisional representatives regarding the matter.

Both he, Rangers director of football Les Ferdinand and manager Mark Warburton are ‘vehemently opposed’ to the planned schedule and Hoos believes other Championship clubs share similar views.

He told the club website: “I am absolutely stunned by this announcement, as is our director of football Les Ferdinand and our manager Mark Warburton.

“Incredibly, there has been absolutely no consultation with individual clubs nor with the Championship doctors' working group by the divisional representatives - or anyone else in the Football League – regarding this matter.

“On top of that, we were only made aware of the statement 40 minutes before it was made public.

“Having spoken with Les and Mark, they share my views. We are vehemently opposed to this schedule.

“The players haven’t even returned to full-contact training at this moment and yet they are now expected to be in a position to play at a competitive level in just three weeks’ time.

“I have made our feelings known to the EFL and, having spoken with a number of CEOs at other Championship clubs, I am not a lone voice on this matter.

“We are absolutely appalled.”

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 9, 2020, 1:00 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 11, 2020, 4:23 pm
samster wrote:
April 11, 2020, 4:01 pm

Nice one samster

4 points and exactly zero answers

your argument is the same as loads of the pundits ...... unfortunately what everyone (me included) would LIKE to see happen (all games played) cannot and will not happen, so we then have to look at what is POSSIBLE and accept the least harmful alternative, which is to expunge the current season and start the new season as near to "on time" as is possible with no changes to league setup

new please save Grimsby Town website open in Udon
Looks like I was right Statts in spite of zero answers!!! New Championship fixtures were announced yesterday.

Just saying now that, whatever happens, the attitude of my Club and its supporters has, for the first time in living memory, been exemplary, starting with the players taking a wage deferral before anyone else had thought of it.

Despite the fact that a finish to the season would almost certainly have seen us promoted, everyone pushed for a recommencement which is the most fair option. This is in spite of the fact that our clear crowd advantage home and away is negated by playing behind closed doors.

Most footie supporters will be hoping that Leeds blow up but, even if they do, clubs like WHU, Villla, Brighton etc should take an example from a Club led by a true legend in Marcelo Bielsa.

Its such a great view from this moral high ground

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2020, 4:16 pm

I suspect Leeds attaining any "moral high ground" may take rather a long time bearing in mind their starting position several feet below the surface of the swamp :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW if ya bump into ashley down there can you give him a knee in the gonads for our season ticket holders ..... tankyavellymuch :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2020, 9:56 pm

EFL vote on League Two

The EFL confirmed that League Two clubs had voted to end the season by an “overwhelming majority”.

Swindon have been confirmed as champions with Crewe and Plymouth also promoted. Cheltenham, Exeter, Colchester and Northampton will contest the play-offs with the first games on June 18.

The bottom team is still to be decided with Stevenage currently on the foot of the table but second-bottom Macclesfield facing a potential points deduction, while relegation will only be ratified if National League can give assurances that its competition will go ahead.

Return to “World Sports”