Farang Boxing - punching techniques

General sports news and discussions.
westerby
udonmap.com

Farang Boxing - punching techniques

Post by westerby » July 6, 2008, 8:53 pm

Are there any amateur boxers out there who can tell me where the power is derived in a punch, i.e. does it always come from the shoulder or can you increase power by swiftly turning the hips in a snap like motion?

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » July 6, 2008, 9:28 pm

Hi Mate
i used to box when i was in HM Forces..... The power in a punch i was taught to good effect comes from...........

The heel !!!
so yes you are right , but it comes from the ground up.... i'm talking about a knock out type punch not a jab... a full power punch... from the floor up... from the ankle through the hip to the shoulder to the reciever back to the ground..... as the ref counts him out....hopefully!!!

hope that helps...

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 6, 2008, 9:38 pm

It does help. Action and reaction are equal and opposite therefore the force pushes out through the heel and upwards through the punch.

I ask because I was learning a three form move in Kung Fu last week where you block punches from left and right and then drop, weave and twist from the waist/hips to punch upwards to a point on the ribs just below the arm pit on the lat muscle. People there were telling me that it was very similar to farang boxing - which is why I asked.

Cheers Dave.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » July 6, 2008, 10:43 pm

Hey Saint! Hope your reading this,looks like your friend Rocky is gonna be looking for you soon

Posted: July 6, 2008, 7:53 pm Post subject: Farang Boxing

Are there any amateur boxers out there who can tell me where the power is derived in a punch, i.e. does it always come from the shoulder or can you increase power by swiftly turning the hips in a snap like motion?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 6, 2008, 10:58 pm

mortiboy wrote:Hey Saint! Hope your reading this,looks like your friend Rocky is gonna be looking for you soon
It's ok, Norti Boy, I don't go looking for fights on account that people keep on breaking my glasses. I do Kung Fu for fitness.

When I was a small boy at school, the West Indian kids used to come looking for me at break. When they'd find me they'd turn me upside down and shake me until all my dinner money fell out. So I was never a fat kid, just small and weedy with glasses.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

farang boxing

Post by mortiboy » July 7, 2008, 1:26 am

Ok , Sorry about that.I had same problem! Bad days!But I wasnt skinny! Now I m old and no longer scared of bullies. Wish I was same then!....... I get my glasses from Nongkhai ...only 100 baht! :D

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 7, 2008, 2:16 am

They never said they was bullies - they said they were me mates. :shock:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 7, 2008, 2:39 am

Molly Mallones has some hints, so we are led to believe.

Brass Knuckles, etc

who can remember the gr8 movie with Brad Pitt.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 7, 2008, 2:44 am

Evening Wazza, how's the desert, mate?

No one at Mollys has passed any pugilistic advice to me yet - which leads me to believe that they is brawlers and not boxers. Proper boxers will know about technique, I reckon. :-k

It's amazing how much force you can exert with a punch or push by working from the waist/hip area rather than the shoulder.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 7, 2008, 9:29 am

west were do you get your lessons I am interested in taking lessons

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » July 7, 2008, 10:48 am

who can remember the gr8 movie with Brad Pitt.

SNATCH ?? Great movie... follow up or take off of lock Stock I think...

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 7, 2008, 11:05 am

Did'nt he do "fight club" as well ??

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » July 7, 2008, 1:22 pm

dont forget to twist your punching arm before contact and dont snap the punch drive it home and outside the other side ;)
but if your not balaned right you will end up on ya backside :oops:
good look

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 7, 2008, 2:11 pm

morti, Ive read it . as of today i will be in hiding , i think i would be unable to protect myself as Ive made it a rule not to hit girls. !!!!!!! :D :D :D :D im also a master don in origami . :D :D

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 7, 2008, 6:40 pm

aznyron wrote:west were do you get your lessons I am interested in taking lessons
Uncle Ron,

I'm in England. I was hoping you'd provide some sound advice based on your NY street fighting and US forces skills but you never replied.

Hey Ho....

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

west I just thought it might be healthy and as well fun to do as for my fighting skills there long gone now all I have is a big mouth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: correction I did before my accident :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 7, 2008, 10:59 pm

westerby wrote:
Hey Ho....
Hey Ho?...... Now you sound like an over educated public school boy who used to toast muffins between his a#se cheeks in front of the fire in the great hall :yikes: ........ Damn those Blisters!

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 8, 2008, 1:53 am

panick wrote:Hey Ho?...... Now you sound like an over educated public school boy who used to toast muffins between his a#se cheeks in front of the fire in the great hall
Begging your pardon, Mister Nick sir, I never went to no pubic skool on account as I wuzzent brite enuff.

:freak:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 8, 2008, 8:15 am

thrush, thats funny on another post you say you did attend public school, hence your feminine tendencies. your credibility is going out the window. lets face it, i dont know anyone who uses phrases like toptastic and hey ho. nick has a very valid point, unless of coarse you are indeed a woman, or wish you were.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 8, 2008, 8:38 am

westerby wrote:
panick wrote:Hey Ho?...... Now you sound like an over educated public school boy who used to toast muffins between his a#se cheeks in front of the fire in the great hall
Begging your pardon, Mister Nick sir, I never went to no pubic skool on account as I wuzzent brite enuff.

:freak:
You missed out on the muffins then :cry: Very tasty... but a bit brown round the outside :-s

Return to “World Sports”