Where to Buy Anchovies in Udon

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
jimbo

Where to Buy Anchovies in Udon

Post by jimbo » March 10, 2009, 2:05 pm

I am trying to find canned anchovies for making my world class spaghetti with Putenesca Sauce. I am talking about flat fillets, usually sold in the states in a rectangular tin, packed in Olive Oil. I have looked all over and asked many locals, but to no avail. If anybody has any ideas, I would be very grateful. I googled anchovies in Thailand, but all I got was a wealth of information and statistics on the dried anchovy market. Barring that, perhaps on of you connoisseurs might suggest a substitution. Perhaps Fish Sauce, since it is made from anchovies. But I really want to stick with the original recipe as much as possible. Thanks much for any info.

Juan Kosoff
udonmap.com

Re: Where to Buy Anchovies in Udon

Post by Juan Kosoff » March 10, 2009, 2:40 pm

Jimbo, I have the same problem and have been unable to find them in los, so i stock up every time i come back.
Unfortunately the tw family love them so at the mo I am cleaned out and I am not back until may.
You can pick them up at some airports especially LHR in the harrods outlet they are in oil and have also seen them in Dubai.
If you are stuck I will bring some extra out.

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » March 10, 2009, 7:34 pm

i buy them in Nong khai at the thai laos border. you can find there a lot of foreing food like parmesan cheese etc.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 11, 2009, 4:29 am

Villa Supermarkets in Soi 11 and 33 Sukhumvitt - Bangkok have them

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 11, 2009, 8:27 am

order an XL pizza with anchovies from pizza company at the complex
here in udon, when you get your order - pick off the anchovies for your
own use then eat the remaining pizza so nothing is wasted. \:D/
(or you could ask them if they've got any spare anchovies whilst waving
100baht)

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 11, 2009, 11:02 am

If you find some let us know how much they cost, here in Oz there charging $4.65 for a Jar with 100grams in it. Its highway robbery :evil:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 16, 2009, 10:49 am

Well, the great anchovy quest has been fulfilled. After searching in vain around Udon and not finding any, I was forced to go to bangkok on embassy business, so I stopped off at the Villa supermarket and found a several varieties of anchovies. Thanks, Wazza for the info. I chose a jar imported from Italy. packed in sunflower oil, 80 grams, cost 111 Baht. Aardvark, this would seem to be roughly in line with what you are paying in OZ if I have done the math correctly.

Old Timer, I did try your clever suggestion of going to the Pizza Company and even ordered one of their awful pizzas. :( (How can people eat that stuff? I couldn't finish one slice nor could my wife. I took the remainder home and my dog wouldn't even touch it. And she used to go crazy over pizza in the States - - real pizza that is). But I digress. Picking the anchovies off wouldn't work anyway , as they would have been cooked, and I need them raw for my recipe. Besides, I would need a magnifying glass and tweezers to pick them off. In fact I thought they had mistaken my order because I could see no anchovies on the pizza when it was served, just what looked like tiny fly specks. When I questioned the server, she called over the cute little "assistant supervisor" who pointed out the fly specks as being the anchovies.

So then I asked her cuteness if she would sell me a tin of anchovies. She agreed and I thought I had hit pay dirt. Alas, she returned from the kitchen and announced "anchovy finish, we use them all on your pizza". Now, if they had used them all on my pizza, they must have had an inventory of two tiny filets, because that is all that appeared to be on my pizza. I take it that her boss probably explained a company policy against selling raw ingredients to the customers. I know many chains have this policy. Sometimes it's an agreement with suppliers, or they just don't want people to get in competition and make their own at home. ](*,)

Anyway, I got my anchovies and all is now right with the world. I don't care anymore about conspiracy theories, global warming, who killed Kennedy, or the price of the baht, as long as I can make my spaghetti with putenesca sauce. :D

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”