Whisky prices

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
rick
udonmap.com

Whisky prices

Post by rick » October 2, 2009, 1:40 am

Hi, as i need to make sure the prospective inlaws are happy this trip, need to supply a bit of the hard stuff. How much is whiskey in Udon? Not the mekong, but something reasonable. just wondering if should bring with me or buy it there.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Re: Whisky prices

Post by Fawn » October 2, 2009, 1:44 am

We always buy a couple of bottles at LHR Duty Free because the outlaws like scotch from the UK. It sounds a bit odd doesn't it, but it's because they think goods brought out of the UK are of good quality. They're forever asking for genuine football shirts as well.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 2, 2009, 2:48 am

I always buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label and 200 cigarettes (per adult travelling) in the "Arrival Duty Free" in the baggage hall at Swampy. While the selection of Duty Free is not large, it is more than adequate for my needs.

It has various advantages such as not having to carry the weight of them to and from the aircraft (it can be a long walk in aircraft terminals to and from aircraft, particularly at Swampy), elimination of breakage in transit, not having a senior moment and leaving them on the aircraft and very importantly, from an aviation safety aspect, it is less flammable liquid in the cabin.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » October 2, 2009, 8:30 am

a 70cl bot of 100 piper is around 340bt in 7/11 in udon .
keep the johnnie walker for yourself , dont spoil them
they,ll expect it all the time .
or a large bot .. lowe cow ( not sure of spelling ) is 90 bt .

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » October 2, 2009, 11:58 am

I totally agree with the Snowman, Rick. Most Thai's I have met could not give a rats bottom what the brand is. Sure they like to drink a bottle of JW if they have company just so they can appear Hi So but are also more than happy with the aforementioned 90 Baht bottle of Lhao Khow and if they can drink that stuff then 340 baht for a bottle of 100 Piper is a good buy. Hell, even Hong Thong at 190 baht is posh compared to Lhao Khow :lol:

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » October 2, 2009, 1:42 pm

Roy if you see Mortiboy will you let him know I still have that 16yr lagavulen for him as promised a while back, I arrive in udon on the 24th so he can have it then.

doo
udonmap.com

Post by doo » October 2, 2009, 3:21 pm

Hi,
Know this is a bit of line but when in Carrefour, excuse the spelling, this morning, noticed they had a good selection of single malts, not seen this often in Los in the last ten years, outside of Bangkok. They have four types of glenmorange, although I myself only prefer the ten year old, they have the 18yr old and those they call sherry something, I stick to what I like the ten year old. This costs about 1,600B a bottle, a little bit dearer than in U.K., but nice. There are a few others single malts as well.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 2, 2009, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a bottle of Mae Maekhong (mekong i presume) in UK and i can drink it! The TGF has warned me i will need to be ready to meet the extended family, not just mum and dad and immediate family who i have already met.The brother-in-law to be suggested 100 pipers, so probably will go with that. I am trying to keep the kilos down for travelling, so will wait until Udon. There may be many cousins - so possibly will need more than one.... I also do not want them thinking i am rich enough to support everyone - because i cannot! Anyway, i can always get something posh if needed from Carrefour.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 2, 2009, 4:58 pm

What ever you do just go for a five year old blend with a good Scottish name and everyone will be happy :D don't go for a Single Malt cause they will not understand or appreciate it, and will probably mix it with Coke anyway.... :mad:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 2, 2009, 7:54 pm

A friend of mine bought along to golf a bottle of Connemara Single Malt Irish Whiskey today. Cost 140USD and it wasn't even a full litre bottle. :shock:

http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » October 3, 2009, 4:29 pm

It might well be a crime and although I love a single malt I have a certain fondness shall we say for that unique American classic 'Bourbon Whiskey', and fortunately I discovered some of the good stuff in a rather unlikely place.

I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey 1.75L from Bahrain International airport, it was hidden on the bottom shelf along with eleven dust coated brothers waiting to be released (apparently, it was not popular and had only been put out to get rid of it). Being pragmatic I took one not knowing what might the taste be... Should have to took the lot!

As this fine Whiskey was found to be a superb sipping drink and was only enhanced if one put an ice cube into the glass to mingle and fragment the colours from the setting Issan sun. Humbel nectar to my palatte if I do say so myself, gorgeous enough for her in doors who does not drink to try some and remark on it's wonders.

Description:

Woodford Reserve's aroma of vanilla and caramel with a backdrop of old leather is huge in body, almost chewy, the palate offers touches of toffee, butterscotch and just like the nose, notes of rich leather with a hint of tobacco. The finish is long and smooth. Being the best selling small-batch bourbon in Kentucky, it is also the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby. Made by the fine people at Larrot & Graham. Price at the time - duty free USD 30, retail 50-80 USD.

I look forward to rekindling further sippers of Bourbon Whiskey around the world when the opportunity arises. :pirate:

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » October 5, 2009, 2:39 am

I usually grab Jamesons ( Irish ) on anything on offer in the Duty Free! They don't know what is is ...and they don't care as long as its in a High Class looking bottle and from Farang-land :roll: Failing that ... Buy loads of chocolate Liquars that nobody wants in Belgium ( and passes off to us poor Brits ) The Thais LOVE 'EM!!!!

doo
udonmap.com

Post by doo » October 5, 2009, 8:21 am

Hi.
All whiskies should be drunk with a little water or ice. Was informed about this when i visited a distillery in Scoland. Glenmorangie that is, in the highlands.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 5, 2009, 4:07 pm

That does it, I'm gonna pour myself a Scotch (with ice of course) right now :D

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 5, 2009, 4:14 pm

I did break out the mekong when i started the thread - much better with ice than neat!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 5, 2009, 4:19 pm

I know I have said it before but in case you missed it . The Chinese supermarket next door to Carrfour sells Glenmorangie 300bht a bottle cheaper than them .As for what you need with it. For me , a glass will do . :lol:

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » October 5, 2009, 4:19 pm

doo wrote:Hi.
All whiskies should be drunk with a little water or ice. Was informed about this when i visited a distillery in Scoland. Glenmorangie that is, in the highlands.
Hi Doo, and welcome. I don't disagree with you on whiskey but on single malt I think it would diminish the complex flavours involved, that said it is a personal choice. :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 5, 2009, 4:26 pm

Oooh, expensive...I don't know how you can afford it Rick :lol:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 5, 2009, 4:27 pm

For a good whisky, I am with Trubrit and Ter. Same as for brandy. Think it is that Bourbon stuff which needs the water and ice.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”