Bicycle Racks

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Bicycle Racks

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 5, 2009, 9:31 am

Does anyone know if I can buy a bike rack for two bilkes that will fix onto the tailgate of my pickup?
Have seen many racks for SUV's and saloons but can't see a way for them to fix to my pickup.....

hey you
udonmap.com

Re: Bicycle Racks

Post by hey you » October 5, 2009, 4:46 pm

rear bike racks usually cover the vehicle number plate so to be legal you need to buy another number plate. have you ever seen bike racks in thailand cos i cannot recall seeing any? if there are any you could try the big bike bike shop on prajack, .the only other place that i can think of is a shop in bangkok phone 081 5678 886 .it caters for the serious cyclists who are more likely to use bike racks.

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » October 5, 2009, 8:41 pm

i have had another idea, have you considered trying to set up a roof bike rack in the back of your pickup??your bikes will be more safe there than on the back and as the roof rack is more common than the rear rack you will have a better chance of getting one.

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » October 7, 2009, 5:51 pm

found another bike shop in udon that could help,coming into town on phosi road look for a small sign for the bike shop on the corner of the soi next to the goodyear place. go down the soi about 200 metre and the shop is on the right , its orange and white and did not notice it had any signs up but plenty of bikes around.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2009, 8:37 pm

I have a Toyota Vigo truck, with standard bedliner. I bought a 1.5" thick piece of lumbar and cut it to fit the rearmost groove on the bottom of the bedliner (pretty simple to do with a handsaw). I attached two standard wheel-locking mechanisms to the wood. When I travel, I take off the front wheel and attach the fork to the lock mechanism. The rear wheel of the bike is closest to the cab and the front wheel is closest to the rear of the truck.
I tie down the back of the bike with a piece of rope to both sides of the truck. The front wheel of the bike can ride in the bed or in the truck itself. I can load/unload the bike in less than 5 minutes.

When I don't need it, I simply remove the piece of wood from the truck and store it under my home.

Wheel lock mechanisms are available in Thailand, but maybe not in Udon. I found some at
http://www.naichanbicycle.com/list_accessories.php?id=5 for a very reasonable 580 baht. I have not personally used this website, but it shows that you CAN buy them in Thailand.

If you're interested in a photo of my set up, let me know by pm and I'll forward a few photos.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 11, 2009, 10:53 am

Hi Parrot

Do you have a 2 door Vigo, we've got a 4 door and the bikes are a little longer than the bed, don't like the idea of driving around with the tailgate down

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 11, 2009, 9:39 pm

KorB: 2 door Vigo. Don't know if it would work with a 4 door.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 12, 2009, 11:25 am

There's not enough room in the back for a bike to stand straight and have the tailgate shut. I've got a roof rack for the bikes but it's a pain in the bum having to take them off before I can put the truck under the carport. Want to use the truck to transport the bikes so we can go into the forest areas to ride, the Camry would be a nightmare up there.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”